DVDVR Message Board

AEW Revolution - 2/29/2020

Dolfan in NYC

He probably Dutch Ovens her and laughs. 

I watched Moxley/Jericho and Cody/MJF. Talk about a tale of two cities, Mox/Jericho was mainly just bad brawling, lame interference and some not really effective bleeding while Cody/MJF had good heat, great punches, interference that worked, effective blood, nasty stuff with the biting, basically it was real Southern and everything the other match needed to be. MJeff is such a shithead taking every little shortcut he can think of and Cody is turning into a perfect '80s babyface. Even despite that he managed to sneak in a Kudo Driver and make it work in the match. I never saw this coming out of the guy who only looked good when he was wearing a mask or acting like a psycho with facepaint in WWE. 

There has been some inane rubbish spouted in these PPV introductory voice-overs through the years but 'your physical matter and energy are about to take you on a journey of a lifetime' might take the cake.

The other thing I caught on the re-watch, apart from enjoying the three previously stated matches all the more on the second viewing, was JR's unfortunate 'Hangman Page's DNA is dripping down Matt Jackson's face'.

Now I knew what was coming, it was great to listen to JR and Tony come around to Orange Cassidy through the length of the match. I give the man credit, he has clearly honed and perfected the whole act. That pose after he gets up from the dropkick is obviously well-practised in its nonchalance and potentially every bit as iconic as Orton or Rock's corner poses. The image of a downtrodden but defiant generation.

bm1zZWg.png

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Custos said:

Now I knew what was coming, it was great to listen to JR and Tony come around to Orange Cassidy through the length of the match. I give the man credit, he has clearly honed and perfected the whole act. That pose after he gets up from the dropkick is obviously well-practised in its nonchalance and potentially every bit as iconic as Orton or Rock's corner poses. The image of a downtrodden but defiant generatio

That’s not a bad comparison. Maybe he should move that pose to after he does the Superman Punch, and before the finishing stretch.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

The only memory I have of seeing Pac live was in Hellertown vs Claudio. And I only remember that because Pac was wearing enough Vaporub that we could smell it at ringside during the match. 

I'm sure I saw him other times, but that's the only one I instantly recall. 

Good tag match, but too much "both guys on the same team in the ring for too long," stuff and they work on Matt Jackson's back in the opening minutes, only for him to hit his double suplex right after. He didn't really sell his back after that. Why work the back if you don't bother selling? Can't be having lazy stuff like that.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, tlk23 said:

Good tag match, but too much "both guys on the same team in the ring for too long," stuff and they work on Matt Jackson's back in the opening minutes, only for him to hit his double suplex right after. He didn't really sell his back after that. Why work the back if you don't bother selling? Can't be having lazy stuff like that.

I thought he sold the back pain very well. Go to right before he picks Page up for the Meltzer Driver on the ramp and he's moving exactly how someone with lower back pain would be moving, working through the pain (see HBK at WM 14).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tlk23 said:

Dude, you're remembering this entirely wrong. Matt's back wasn't even touched until after the 2nd or 3rd time Matt is tagged in. His back wasn't even hurt until Page gives him a big forearm to his lower back. THAT'S when it starts hurting and that doesn't happen until nearly 10 minutes in, so almost 1/3 of the way through the match. From that point on, Matt walks around like someone whose back is killing with his back arched and his chest stuck out, he's in visible pain any time he does a move, including superkicks, he's struggling through the northern lights suplexes, he can't lift Kenny at one point, and he can barely hold Hangman for the Indytaker. Your description of him not really selling his back is wrong.

Edited by Craig H

I am going to be very fascinated by this Moxley run. Even with all the damage WWE did to him in booking, there were times when he was more over than the other Shield guys and the house shows he headlined drew better a few years ago. 

He's also a guy that headlined towns all over the country for several years so he's a name (well, face) you can put on a marquee and WWE fans or channel flippers will recognize. Very curious if he boosts attendance in any real way.  Been a long time in this country since a hot babyface was put in position to actually draw money. 

2 hours ago, eikerir said:

I thought he sold the back pain very well. Go to right before he picks Page up for the Meltzer Driver on the ramp and he's moving exactly how someone with lower back pain would be moving, working through the pain (see HBK at WM 14).

Mat did the type of selling when he would hold his back between moves but it really didn't influence anything he did. I would say the biggest sell that effected his moves was when they went for the Bang for Your Buck but someone slipping out of the other guy's grip is so common that I don't know that its some sort of genius sell job. The bigger lack of selling is that it fails the structure test where you could jumble up the majority of the match through editing and it wouldn't be particularly jarring. It seemed to me as though as the selling was extremely short term so once someone was on offense again, nothing mattered. Now while this is normal for wrestling in general, I feel as though the number of bombs thrown here were out of control. When a spike tombstone piledriver on the ramp is blown off (to site one example), you've got some problems. Really this just feels like the evolution of 'do cool shit' matches and, while it has an audience, it is not particularly interesting to me.  It's ultimately disposable content.

Mat Jackson was probably the best I've seen him get over the emotional portrayal he was going for in this match and I like Page's attitude I just don't understand the opposite players. I'm not sure what Omega and Nick were attempting to do in ... not fighting hard? I guess I just don't understand if the match went the way they wanted it to, what it would look like and how it would differ.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Dude, you're remembering this entirely wrong. Matt's back wasn't even touched until after the 2nd or 3rd time Matt is tagged in. His back wasn't even hurt until Page gives him a big forearm to his lower back. THAT'S when it starts hurting and that doesn't happen until nearly 10 minutes in, so almost 1/3 of the way through the match. From that point on, Matt walks around like someone whose back is killing with his back arched and his chest stuck out, he's in visible pain any time he does a move, including superkicks, he's struggling through the northern lights suplexes, he can't lift Kenny at one point, and he can barely hold Hangman for the Indytaker. Your description of him not really selling his back is wrong.

It about 10 minutes in. Right after Hangman wants to put Matt through the table. Hangman gives him a forearm to the lower back that brings Matt to his knees. Less than 15 seconds later, Matt goes for the Northern Lights suplex on both guys, but fails. Then hits it five seconds later. It's something like that, that took me out of the match for a bit.

The second time Matt is in the match legally (it's hard to keep up because you can come and go as you please it seems) the entire sequence is Hangman working Matt's back, all in preparation for a 440 pound suplex.

10 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Yikes.

That Cody entrance.

Also, "the tenacity of a humble fire ant"...noice.

Excalibur was on fire with his references at Revolution. From the Fire Ant reference to the Motor City Machine Guns, and Marty.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

Nobody tops ICE-T at WM2000. Greatest Theme song live entrance. I just can't remember what exactly isn't easy.

I've heard from reliable sources that pimping is in fact, not easy.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hagan said:

I am going to be very fascinated by this Moxley run. Even with all the damage WWE did to him in booking, there were times when he was more over than the other Shield guys and the house shows he headlined drew better a few years ago. 

He's also a guy that headlined towns all over the country for several years so he's a name (well, face) you can put on a marquee and WWE fans or channel flippers will recognize. Very curious if he boosts attendance in any real way.  Been a long time in this country since a hot babyface was put in position to actually draw money. 

They're already doing well enough on attendance. I'm not sure how much better he's going to make it unless they try dead zones like Corpus Christi again.

For a 15-page thread I'd say pretty much all the main points have been covered quite well.  But I personally am willing to give Cody's tattoo a chance and yes the entrance was bad.  But Jericho's was really neat.

That all said it felt so goddamn good to have a PPV viewing party for the first time in about 14 years, and at my new house to boot.  For 9 people I'd say three were hardcore into it, three were at least familiar enough and three never saw it before.  And we all had a goddamn great time.  Drinks were flowing, crappy pizza was eaten, and we enjoyed a lot of what the PPV had to offer.  I need to re-watch the tag match but on first viewing that stood out along with Sammy/Darby.  But at least for us Orange Cassidy is a goddamn star.  Those that have seen him before loved him but what really stood out were how much the non-watchers adored him to pieces.  Shit, we were even doing the whole "hands in pockets>light kicks" sequence throughout the night which was something else.  But they already asked about DoN and unless we watch it elsewhere I'm looking forward to doing this again.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tlk23 said:

It about 10 minutes in. Right after Hangman wants to put Matt through the table. Hangman gives him a forearm to the lower back that brings Matt to his knees. Less than 15 seconds later, Matt goes for the Northern Lights suplex on both guys, but fails. Then hits it five seconds later. It's something like that, that took me out of the match for a bit.

The second time Matt is in the match legally (it's hard to keep up because you can come and go as you please it seems) the entire sequence is Hangman working Matt's back, all in preparation for a 440 pound suplex.

Here's what you said:

4 hours ago, tlk23 said:

10 minutes in isn't the opening minutes and again, Matt still sold his back like crazy after that. Also, haven't you ever been in pain only to push through it? There's plenty of times where my back is killing me helping someone move and I can't help lift their fucking armoire or couch on the first try and then I wind up passing through the pain to just do what I need to do. And it was the one time Matt did a move to both guys and he was in pain doing it.

1 hour ago, Goodear said:

Mat did the type of selling when he would hold his back between moves but it really didn't influence anything he did. I would say the biggest sell that effected his moves was when they went for the Bang for Your Buck but someone slipping out of the other guy's grip is so common that I don't know that its some sort of genius sell job. The bigger lack of selling is that it fails the structure test where you could jumble up the majority of the match through editing and it wouldn't be particularly jarring. It seemed to me as though as the selling was extremely short term so once someone was on offense again, nothing mattered. Now while this is normal for wrestling in general, I feel as though the number of bombs thrown here were out of control. When a spike tombstone piledriver on the ramp is blown off (to site one example), you've got some problems. Really this just feels like the evolution of 'do cool shit' matches and, while it has an audience, it is not particularly interesting to me.  It's ultimately disposable content.

Mat Jackson was probably the best I've seen him get over the emotional portrayal he was going for in this match and I like Page's attitude I just don't understand the opposite players. I'm not sure what Omega and Nick were attempting to do in ... not fighting hard? I guess I just don't understand if the match went the way they wanted it to, what it would look like and how it would differ.

Matt tends to be the more heelish of the Jackson in these split loyalty things, and Omega just wants everyone to get along.  That's why they were doing what they were doing.  It's Page and Nick Jackson who are more upset.

To me, what's happening now is kinda a rehash of the whole Omega/Bucks dissension over Ibushi a couple years ago in NJPW, complete with some Golden Lovers spots. 

Edited by alstein

20 minutes ago, Craig H said:

They're already doing well enough on attendance. I'm not sure how much better he's going to make it unless they try dead zones like Corpus Christi again.

Oh yeah but, you know a few years back a lot of people thought that Ambrose could be THE GUY but they went with Reigns instead. I think it's possible that Moxley could turn into a real money drawing star, like a guy that turns 3,000 seat houses into 8,000 seat houses. We've gotten so used to "well the brand draws fans" that it's been a while since  a guy actually moved the needle for live attendance in the US.  

Hager/Dustin wouldn't have been my first choice for an opener. Hager is the same boring guy he's always been, and Dustin ain't up to carrying guys like he used to. The match felt very early 2010s WWE.

Sammy/Darby was a lot of fun. I feel like Sammy loses more than he should, but Darby does have some star potential. He's got that young Jeff Hardy energy.

The best part about the tag title match was how after all the action, some stomps to the shoulder got massive heat. Great match with Page and Matt being the hotheads while Kenny and Nick tried to be peacekeepers. They all walked the line of going too far, but never quite crossed it and it made for a neat match with lots of points where the audience reacted organically instead of predisposed chants. Tag matches are better suited for the overkill style since partner saves reduce the need for big move kickouts to keep the match going.

The women's match highlighted how lacking AEW is in that area. This is the one area where WWE is killing them.

Cody/MJF needed a faster pace to start. Even with the blood, it didn't feel like Cody got enough back on MJF to negate the cheap win. The pace never felt quite right, which was a shame, because the crowd was dying to explode throughout the match.

Pac/Cassidy was great. Pac was perfect here, getting heat and making it look like Cassidy could pull off the upset at the right times. Don't know why the Lucha Bros were interfering here.

The main event wasn't a great match per se, but it accomplished everything it needed to. Jericho and Mox are both character guys who do 95% of their work before a big match (not a bad thing, just not conducive to a 30 minute epic). They used the smoke and mirrors well, and the payoff worked. Even I gasped when Mox ducked the Judas Effect. That moment was all they needed and they hit it out of the park.

Overall, it was a fun show. The crowd was great and even the stuff wasn't on point felt important. In some ways it feels like late 95/early 96 WCW with a lot of pieces there, and even with some trial and error going on, there's plenty to keep you wanting more.

• Like 3