DVDVR Message Board

AEW Revolution - 2/29/2020

Dolfan in NYC

13 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Yeah, JR was atrocious all night. Why are you doing something that brings you so much displeasure, you miserable human being? Purely for the money. I thought there was a point about a month or two months ago that he had found some actual engagement with AEW and had eased up on Excalibur. I would pay $50 to see Super Dragon's reactions to JR consistently busting Excalibur's balls. Excalibur stands up for himself but he's in an awkward position of not wanting to talk back to a legend when he's in the kohai spot, but I can just picture Super Dragon punching a hole in his TV listening to that shit.

13 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

He was actively criticizing shit as if it was his podcast. The commentary broke down so bad during the tag title match that it was a good thing it went on so fucking long to give them recovery time.  

I've watched that tag match 3 times now. This is patently bullshit. JR never said one negative thing during the match. Not one. That's not hyperbole. The commentary NEVER broke down. The negative bias against JR by you and is incredible to the point where you just make shit to that didn't even happen.

At least acknowledge you're probably too hard on JR because he sure as shit isn't as bad as everyone makes him out to be.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

He was actively criticizing shit as if it was his podcast. The commentary broke down so bad during the tag title match that it was a good thing it went on so fucking long to give them recovery time.  

JR calls wrestling like it’s a real sport. In real sports commentators are critical of things they don’t agree with that happen during the event.

For example, in the XFL game yesterday the announcers were critical of the penalties enforced on kickoffs because they weren’t really penalties. It doesn’t mean they hate the XFL or football.

According to the rules, they have a 10 count for the non-legal man to get out of the ring. He wouldn’t be a good announcer if he pretended like they weren't disregarding the rules during the match.

• Like 3

On 2/29/2020 at 11:56 AM, The Great ML said:

Alright, for the first time in 20 years, I’ve purchased a wrestling PPV.

This company has put on a consistently good wrestling show in its build and has garnered my good faith and support. They have earned it.

I loved the show. So glad I purchased it...this kind of effort deserves support.

My only nitpick was the Cody and MJF beginning didn’t bring the hate, also Cody kept kicking with the exposed injured foot.

• Like 2

The only thing I noticed last night where JR was critical was at the start of OC Vs. PAC. He made a comment about the ref not telling Cassidy to take off his glasses. Not that he was critical of Orange wearing the glasses(I think JR understands that this is part of the characters act), but that Bryce wasn’t deeply playing the part of ref in that moment. He said like “Hey ref, a little detail”. It was a little too “armchair acting coach”, especially for commentary.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

I watched up until the tag match and fell asleep.

Loved where the story got to in the end. Hated the constant finisher spam.

Also if that band that played Cody to the ring is getting such flack and yet the woman who did the national anthem is mention free it must be pretty bad.

Seriously your national anthem is dogshit. Its like an autistic five year old heard Jingle Bells Batman Smells for the first time and tried to madlib Bring Us Some Figgy Pudding with some Adderall induced rant about bombs and rockets.

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

That tag match was one of my favourite tags I've ever seen. Loved it. Really enjoyed the show overall, despite a couple of weak bits. 

My girlfriend on the other hand... she isn't a huge wrestling fan, but she watches along with me. She hates Cody's tattoo. She has been irrationally angry about it all day. We just drove home for 2 hours, and about half of it was her ranting about tattoos because of what she saw at Revolution. 

The tattoo is bad. But that performance by Downstait was worse. I think it kinda killed the crowd for a bit. Also Cody having a hundred people in his entourage, the special lift entrance, the pyro, the band, the new ridiculous tattoo. Is this some character development, leading to getting such a huge ego everyone turns their back on him? Then MJF says "I told you so!"

I'm giving him too much credit, aren't I?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

Also if that band that played Cody to the ring is getting such flack and yet the woman who did the national anthem is mention free it must be pretty bad.

Seriously your national anthem is dogshit. Its like an autistic five year old heard Jingle Bells Batman Smells for the first time and tried to madlib Bring Us Some Figgy Pudding with some Adderall induced rant about bombs and rockets.

I had to mute the anthem. I don't know why it has to be done. When they come to the UK are they gonna do God Save the Queen before the show? I hope they don't, because that's awful too. 

• Like 4

Coming from choir, and that was years ago in high school, but part of the reason the national anthem is challenging to sing is that when you start singing there's a slight delay that makes you start hearing yourself across the speakers as you're singing ahead of what you're hearing. It makes you second guess how you sound too. 

I didn't think the person sounded bad. It was about average for the national anthem.

Downstait sounded pretty bad, but I almost expected that. They have a rap rock nu metal sound to them and bands like that sound fine in the studio, but pretty bad live.

6 minutes ago, ComingToAmerica said:

Has 'get the band to play the theme tune live' ever really worked out that well?

Some are definitely less worse than others, but I don't recall a performance when it was like 'damn, that's awesome'.

And no, Nakamura's theme with live violin over the top doesn't count.

Bray’s original theme at WM30 was pretty legit.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Compared to modern NXT/WWE there was no finisher spamming in that tag match.  There were more finishers in Fiend/Goldberg in two minutes than this tag match.  Don't get me started on Cole and Ciampa  ?

But some guys on here have been overprotective of all things WWE for reasons..   

• Like 2

Didn't they only really do two "Real" finisher kick outs in the tag? The Golden Trigger (emotional fuck you, you aren't beating me with that) and the Buckshot/V Trigger (We are the best in the world I refuse to go down)  Followed by 2 One Winged Angels, with the first being a partner saves, after Omega couldn't really do it right, and then Page doing it right and getting the win?

• Like 3