DVDVR Message Board

AEW Revolution - 2/29/2020

Dolfan in NYC

And I'm triple posting, but the only time JR really bothered me was when he was just tearing in Statlander about the dives and needing to throw Rose into the ring, and kept going on about it as Kris threw her into the ring, and even continued after they were both in the ring. Jesus Christ.

I'm only 20 minutes into this tag match and it's already one of the best matches I've seen in recent memory. The rise of Hangman Page might be the best thing about AEW so far.

• Like 2

I love how MJF's heelishness extends to his obnoxiously terrible fake tan jobs. The other week on TV he didn't do the back of his legs, this time he didn't do his armpits, and the first thing he does it put his arms up so everyone can see his pale spots.

The match, it felt a bit pedestrian. Supposed to be a violent grudge match but it seemed to lack the intensity that the other matches had.

Considering Cody's is on his neck, it'll get a lot of sun exposure. Once it's faded a bit and blends in better, it won't look as bad. A lot of tattoos only look good when they're new, and the fading and blurring really kills them. But Cody's is too jarring fresh. The colours are too bright right now.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Firebreaker Chip said:

Yeah Cody going for a Springboard so early in the opening exchanges felt off

I will never not enjoy a heel winning a match after taking such a bad beating he barely knows he's won though

Even more than the springboard, I was really taken out of the match by the airplane spin Alabama Slam. Like, that's just too much of a "fun" spot for a grudge match. I'm not sure if they were holding back for a rematch or what.

But the last few minutes were great.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, matwarz said:

At this point Cornette has no option than to either get over his dislike of modern wrestling or quit working the gimmick. 

I'm sure he'll get right on that.

The title needed to be taken off of Riho ASAP, but Nyla is in no way ready for this role. That match was scary. Why isn't someone telling her to just not do top rope moves? If this is the best the division has to offer right now, it's time to hire some new female talent and pivot.

Who is it in the business that thinks "force kiss on unwilling person" has any place anywhere on a wrestling show, let alone being done by a babyface? Why does it keep coming up? I would have figured AEW would know better.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Damn it, I woke up early and can't go back to sleep because I'm still in awe of that tag match. Everybody played their role perfectly but that was a Kenny match through and through. He is well and truly back. That altered entrance with the light show was snazzy as all heck too. 

• Like 2

What a show. Loved all of it.

Hager’s wife is a stone cold heel! 

The Coffin Drop is easily the most over move in wrestling right now.

No idea why, but Justin Roberts “your referee... Rick Knox” made me giggle for like 5 straight minutes.

Bucks v Omega / Page was out of this world.

Orange v PAC was incredibly fun and well done.

Moxley’s crowning was perfect.

Love this company so much.

• Like 3

So I think most of us can agree...

Wow: Tag Title Match, PAC Vs. OC, Darby Vs Sammy

Mehhhh: Everything else

MJF still needs a lot of work. His Jungle Boy match showed he can work with modern guys, but this Cody style didn’t work like the Wardlow match a couple of weeks ago, and was ultimately disappointing. 

Women’s match actually got pretty good at the end there, but they should’ve stepped on the gas at the bell, and not halfway into it.

Dustin Vs. Hager was a carry job by Dustin. Hager has nothing left in the wrestling ring. His best days were The Real American angle. I would’ve had Dustin go over to give the fans a nice face win. Hopefully Hager jobs out to Darby on TV to close out his in ring run in the company.

Mox Vs. Jericho was really off. Moxley looked way off from recent matches. The way he was working I almost expected him to job, but no this was the title change. 

Also, I was right about ref Aubrey. She came in real handy for the finish of the main event that was severely lacking heat. Jericho knew it too, and milked the ever loving shit out of those shoves. Fans came unglued with the “You’re out of here” spot. Yes, sometimes it can be a burden for the ref to be over, but in that moment it was worth it, and it’ll always be a useful tool down the road.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 5

Mox was legit fucked up after the post spot, right? Jericho doing the “go ring the bell” bit is a classic time waster while they checked on him. Seemed Mox came back around about 5 minutes til the finish, but my assumption was that he was all sorts of messed up for most of the match, thus how it went.

• Like 2

Reflecting on Mox/Jericho, it was what it needed to be and nothing more. In a month's time, we'll remember the fake eye patch and the emotion surrounding his victory and celebratory promo. 

Still really bummed about the Cody/MJF match but I guess if it being great was partially sacrificed for that tag match then it is a price well worth it. If they don't actually put those two in the cage, they need a blow off match and Cody needs a win. But how they get there will be difficult. MJF should be pivoting to a failed title challenge but that leaves Cody where exactly? Out in the cold with a shitty tattoo that most everybody and/or laughs at. 

Edit: meant to mention how neat those wrist lights looked! I really enjoyed the look of 'em. 

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Mox was legit fucked up after the post spot, right? Jericho doing the “go ring the bell” bit is a classic time waster while they checked on him. Seemed Mox came back around about 5 minutes til the finish, but my assumption was that he was all sorts of messed up for most of the match, thus how it went.

I gotta check that out again. I grabbed a snack during that part. Tony did bring up Mox looking concussed, and honestly at times he did. He looked super shakey at times.

Would also explain the promo afterwards being even stranger than usual. I hope a brother is okay. 

Tony confirmed their war games match will be called Blood & Guts.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1

Seeing it again, I just don’t know. Jericho could’ve been stalling for time so the blood would let out more, but that wound on Mox’s head looked legit hardway. I think Moxley was looking for hardway blood, but got more than that when he hit his head on the post. Jesus, Moxley is such a mark for Nigel. He even did the tope to the back of Jericho, like when Aries did it to Nigel in that infamous ROH title match.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

7 hours ago, Craig H said:

Cody is a clean cut babyface? How do cursing, saying you're going to scar someone, smoking cigars, and sipping scotch fit into that?

Anyway, my wife nearly tapped out when Darby botched that dive. A convinced her to stick around, then she saw Sammy's 630 through the table, and she was like, "i can't believe i stayed to watch someone die." I laughed. She has zero stomach for wrestling. It's funny.

What the fuck is wrong with smoking cigars and sipping scotch?

My favorite joint in Seattle had a very simple sign: "Cigars, Scotch, Steak!" What else ya need?

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Meltzer just said he prefers the topless cage for war games. Part of it is due to safety concerns but I think that may be the final straw! 

Topless cage defeats the purpose of having a WarGames match. I understand the modern wrestling thing, but then just add snipers nest for high flyers to do their thing in a topped cage.

I have a feeling the cage will be almost the exact same as the one from the other night. Tall, but with a top on it, and wider.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Sad 1

I have made it to 62 without any ink whatsoever. Every time I thought about getting a tat there was something else that I wanted to spend my money on. (Usually an expensive book), anyway, at my age I hardly see the point, and had I gotten some ink in my twenties it would look like shit now or I would have had to spend a fortune over the years to touch it up or cover it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I wanted to do it on my calf, but I keep saying “Fuck it”. Can’t think of anything that won’t look stupid, or something that I know an artist will fuck up.

How about "Fuck it!"? That would be punk as fuck.