DVDVR Message Board

AEW Revolution - 2/29/2020

Dolfan in NYC

1 minute ago, Oyaji said:

Yeah, I don't think there's a chance it's Dork Odor regardless of who the Exalted One is. Cody/MJF needs to be in it. Your teammates make a lot of sense too. Can't wait. Not much in wrestling beats a great War Games/Match Beyond/Blood and Guts (that name works for me! Thanks, Vince!) match.

I don't see Cody or MJF in it. I do see MJF making Cody have to clear more hurdles in order to get a rematch.

My guess is Inner Circle vs. Moxley/Darby/Dustin/Luchasaurus/Jungle Boy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I love that they do these little Clash of the Champions type episodes in between the PPV schedule.  It's perfect. 

They basically keep the train rolling from the pre-Dynamite days by having destination super shows that are free on TV without separating them from Dynamite. It's a great idea. Meltzer was all for it and he's right. They had a tough time in November/December filling time on the path to Revolution. These kinds of shows help a lot in breaking it up.

• Like 3

Here's a question...was this not noticeable in the seating chart for Newark? I mean, it's two rings. That's a considerable amount of space. You'd think that would be somehow reflected on the seating chart.

Just now, Craig H said:

Here's a question...was this not noticeable in the seating chart for Newark? I mean, it's two rings. That's a considerable amount of space. You'd think that would be somehow reflected on the seating chart.

__New Newak Seating chart copy.jpg

• Thanks 1

I was thinking at one point man shouldn't War Games be on PPV?  Because it really is a blow off match and I didn't know if TNT would clear it.  But TNT seems to be fine with some blood on their network and also the AEW roster isn't huge so if you take ten guys and put them in one match the rest of the card might not be PPV worthy.. 

8 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

They basically keep the train rolling from the pre-Dynamite days by having destination super shows that are free on TV without separating them from Dynamite. It's a great idea. Meltzer was all for it and he's right. They had a tough time in November/December filling time on the path to Revolution. These kinds of shows help a lot in breaking it up.

I really dug the Jericho cruise show a lot because it felt different. Open air, and on a boat. Don't have to do it all the time, but it's fun when they do that because it makes one weekly show feel special without having to make it a PPV. But AEW made it look good for that type of environment.

• Like 2

Agreed. I love a gimmick show like that and while they did have the tag title change to open and the Mox/Pac #1 contender's match that show was more about the unique experience than any match. We have the mother of all matches to look forward to for the next month. Makes building the next set of Dynamites way easier.

@Nice Guy Eddie, I agree with the general notion that it's going to be next to impossible to get a logical reason for MJF to get into a War Games match with Cody after all he pulled for just a straight wrestling match. But Cody needs a big win here and I need even more catharsis. Or it serves as the necessary grand stage for Arn to turn on Cody.

That post-match teasing of the turn by Page was excruciating to watch in all of the right ways. My God was I hoping they wouldn't taint that match with a turn that would overshadow its greatness. Let it breathe. And I still think it would be foolish to have Page turn on Omega. I get he was pissed with the post-match Bucks antics and Kenny going along with it but that would be a dick move.

• Like 5

I don't want Page to turn heel. I wanted him to beat the shit out of Matt and Nick for being pieces of shit and have him try to knock some sense into Omega that those two are shitty friends, but I don't want him to attack Omega just because.

• Like 3

One final weird thought/observation, but I would be mega pissed to be sitting behind the tie-dyed shirt guy in the front row. Dude was standing for nearly the entire show. Man, you're tall and you have people behind you. Everyone to your left and right is sitting back down and you're just still standing. Be courteous and mindful to the people around you. I kept expecting security to ask him to sit, but they never did.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

How about MJF spilling beer on that fan? That was GREAT. He will probably cross the line eventually but I enjoy him pushing the envelope in terms of aggressive interactions with fans. I'm here for it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

That's gotta be something else, right? I just loaded it back up on Fite and am laughing pretty hard.

omg, it's a follow up tweet from months ago! HAHAHA.

Yeah. I remembered Chuck's tweet from awhile ago and he mentioned something about it in a BTE I think.

And now the horses have dicks. Christ. The greatest night in the history of our sport.

• Haha 2

It’s a good thing Cody had so much goodwill with the fans going in as the hat-trick of crap theme, controversial tattoo and shafting by the dastardly heel would be enough to cool off a lesser face. 
I watched the interview with Tony at the Bojangles (?) arena earlier when I was getting in the mood for the show. The man is pretty magic on the mic.

Also, I was fearing for Kris Stadlander on that avalanche powerbomb. I think someone mentioned Nyla had enough trouble getting Riho up for the finish before. Kris did all the work to get up into a safe position and even then it looked a bit dicey.

• Like 2

Oh God. I forgot that this was born from that twitter thread Chuck started in October:

And it's 3:16 (oh hell yeah!) am and I'm laughing my ass off reading Chuck Taylor's tweets instead of sleeping.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Holy fuck that tag title match. For the kind of match it was, it might be the best match of that kind I've ever seen.

Dustin/Hager was a really smart match, though I really could've lived without the unwanted kiss spot.

Darby vs Sammy was fucking awesome, and exactly what I expected. Sammy is great, Darby is a budding superstar. More of this please.

Did I mention "Holy fuck, that tag title match"? Because, holy fuck, that tag title match.

Women's match was fine, but they were in a death spot trying to follow the tag. And they never got the crowd into it the way Riho always did. That belt is going to miss her a fucking lot if someone doesn't get real over real quick.

Cody/MJF was eventually great, but early on it just wasn't nearly hate filled enough or violent enough. Too cutesy. Great final few minutes though.

PAC/OC was exactly the match I expected and Jesus Christ did it get over. What a performance from both guys.

Main was good. Jericho isn't the great bell to bell wrestler he used to be, and Moxley is good but not great. But it was well put together, and worked fine. I didn't expect the title change here, but it's not a bad move at all.

Just a tremendous show. And holy fuck, that tag title match.

• Like 2

Oh, and I absolutely love Cody's theme, but Downstait were fucking terrible. I don't know if they are a bad live band, or it was just a shitty setup/mix, but I haven't heard a band be that bad on a wrestling show since what's their name played Voices live for Orton at a SummerSlam years and years ago.

The choir for Jericho was awesome though.

At this point Cornette has no option than to either get over his dislike of modern wrestling or quit working the gimmick. 

That tag match was an easy 5*. Comparing it to a past classic such as a Midnights match is redundant as wrestling has moved on so much since then. For modern style, that was near perfect. There’s an element of emotion and it’s expression that Omega is responsible for that’s never been injected the way it is in his big matches. That match had pacing, layout, story and build that totally took the viewer along. Big near falls, but nothing excessive and all adding to the drama. 

• Like 6