DVDVR Message Board

AEW Revolution - 2/29/2020

Dolfan in NYC

5 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Dr. Luther(No mention of Nightmare Collective) just challenged Jimmy Havoc to what sounds like a death match. So that might be at Revolution, or for the pre-show.

The general feeling of contempt for Dr. Luther and Jimmy Havoc, combined with how people reacted to Moxley/Omega at Full Gear... oh that would be glorious.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Dr. Luther(No mention of Nightmare Collective) just challenged Jimmy Havoc to what sounds like a death match. So that might be at Revolution, or for the pre-show.

Put it on the main show so it's guaranteed JR has to call it. Put it late in the show so he's tired and cranky when they get to it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ComingToAmerica said:

I think they need the match for the PPV, but MJF also needs to go over even if he gets the piss beaten out of him.

I'm a big fan of the face getting so carried away that he finally gets his hands on the chickenshit heel that he locks in a submission hold, initially gets the tap out, but refuses to let go and eventually it gets reversed into a DQ win for the heel, who gloats (from the gurney and/or the hospital bed) about his superior intellect and/or emotional control and having gotten the official victory, and now has a legitimate injury behind which he can hide from the babyface and/or send more hired goons after him again.

(ex:  Bret vs. Lawler, Summerslam 93.  Surprise Surprise I always come back to a Bret moment)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, matt925 said:

They can’t end the $50 ppv on a bs finish and they know it. Too soon for Jericho to lose, he’s the perfect champion right now. Keep riding the wave. I agree though that Moxley is red hot and it’s not great for him to lose, but they can get around it. 

They don't have to end it with the title match, Jericho/Cody didn't end Full Gear. The title match can be the semi main, and Cody vs. MJF can be the last match.

12 hours ago, Craig H said:

You think injury angles don't work because WWE has programmed you too think they don't work since Vince had an edict that wrestlers can't show that they're injured.

I haven’t followed wwe in 15 plus years.  Again, what’s an example of modern day injury angle that worked.  There must be some.

People may disagree, but I actually think the Rollins curb stomp to Ambrose on the cinder blocks worked. Obviously they fucked up the blow-off to the feud with the Bray Wyatt hologram, and Ambrose could have sold it for longer - but broadly it was ok.

Also House of Pain maybe?

17 hours ago, Godfrey said:

Jericho/Moxley doesn't need a fuck finish for Jericho to retain. Hype up Mox's lack of peripheral vision and have Chris hit a sneaky Judas Effect on his blind side for a flash pin. Then they can do the rematch down the road when Mox has both eyes.

God damn, that's a good idea.

13 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

As a big fan of "consolidate the suckiness," I support this angle.

17 hours ago, Craig H said:

At the same time, you have Darby and Hangman who are rocket strapped.

Darby’s 2020 record is 1-3 (6-7-1 overall). AEW needs to strap a rocket to him soon, or he’ll fall into the WWE-esque midcarder pattern of always losing to top guys during their “push.”

They really need some sort of secondary singles title soon (or even squash matches). I’d say their biggest young stars that they’re pushing as the future are Darby, Jungle Boy, Luchasaurus, Sammy, and Janela. (Not counting Orange at this point, although he clearly has star potential.) Their respective overall records are: 6-7-1, 3-10-1, 5-4, 6-7, and 4-7. They’ve obviously done/are doing a good job with MJF, as he’s 5-1 overall, but that means he’s averaging a match a month and their best way to protect a young star is to limit their matches.

Edited by JonnyLaw

Win loss Records are a talking point and obviously matter, but for some more than others.  Darby is an underdog.  It’s a good role and doesn’t seem to be doing anything but helping him get more over with the crowd.  That is what he’s done with his time.  He has a persona of ‘give no fucks’ which works well for him.  I don’t see any worry about Darby.  

A second title would be a nice addition, but I’m happy to patiently wait for it.

I was about to say "because Kip sucks and 'Superbad' is a lame nickname," but I tend to question if he really is that sucky. He just has always come off as Flippy Indy Guy #4. Like, he's Great Value Flip Gordon.

14 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

In a “let’s get our moneys worth out of these guys” match.

9 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

A second title would be a nice addition, but I’m happy to patiently wait for it.

I think we’ll get it once the second show is on TV. In fact, it could be fun if the second title lived mostly on the second show. And just for myself, I hope it has a gimmick attached. I miss the TV and Pure Titles and the guys who were champions because they knew how to work the restrictions of the match perfectly. I hope they don’t make it a Hardcore or Deathmatch Title though. They never end well.

• Like 1

I get the impression they were higher on Kip to start than they are now. He seemed to be a focus to start, then he got lost in an unexplained trios with H2, and just now seems to be getting more focus.

My interest in the records is based on the fact that they’re the ones saying they’re important, so you can look at them and see who they have interest in based on that. Take Kip, he was one of the few guys who had an early winning record. When they had that Darby #1 contenders match, Kip had a better record than either guy in the match. Instead of protecting him, he lost several six man tags because they didn’t have anything for him.

Obviously MJF is a guy they’re rocket strapping right now, so they’re protecting him/his record by putting him in matches he should win. On the other hand, they’re giving the rub to Darby and Jungle Boy simply by putting them in high profile matches. Overall, it’s a smart strategy so far. MJF is over, so rocket strap him, while they’re working to get Darby and Jungle Boy over first before strapping them. They just have to pull the trigger at some point prior to them getting stuck in the Shelton Benjamin zone.

Edited by JonnyLaw
  • Like 1

Shelton Benjamin suffered from the same thing Bam Bam Bigelow did in the WWE. Vince thought he was really good. So he used him to get other people over, because well, he's really good, he can always just have a great match and get himself back over.

If fifty years ago, someone had somehow convinced McMahon that wrestling fans have long attention spans and remember everything, the history of the sport would be completely different. As it is, he thinks of his audience as goldfish, and books accordingly.

• Like 3

Something else that I just thought of. They can always have Jericho/Inner Circle screw Mox out of the title, and build up to the various people with issues with the Inner Circle (Mox, Dustin, and Darby so far) banning together to set up War Games The Match Beyond at Double or Nothing.

5 minutes ago, Mike Campbell said:

Something else that I just thought of. They can always have Jericho/Inner Circle screw Mox out of the title, and build up to the various people with issues with the Inner Circle (Mox, Dustin, and Darby so far) banning together to set up War Games The Match Beyond at Double or Nothing.

Oh, that’s right. I forgot Cody teased that. But anyway... Or you can have Mox still win, but make The Match Beyond be Jericho & The Inner Circle’s last stand. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2020 at 8:22 AM, HarryArchieGus said:

I haven’t followed wwe in 15 plus years.  Again, what’s an example of modern day injury angle that worked.  There must be some.

Nigel's concussion history in ROH circa 2008 (they even tied into a 6-month old Bryan eye injury for the payoff).

Shawn Michaels' eye injury from being thrown into a tv by Jericho (which I'm sure he'll draw some material from for the Moxley match).

HHH of all people sold "nerve damage" really well and put over Sheamus convincingly at Extreme Rules 2010.

Dolph Ziggler's concussion going into a match with Del Rio at Payback 2013.

Sami Zayn being KO'ed out of existence in NXT in 2015 (but then he got shoot injured and they didn't get a timely payoff).

I think the Bob Orton arm injury and subsequent two year run referencing said arm injury worked pretty well. Not exactly modern day, but probably the best long-term usage of an injury with long-term implications in storyline, at least by my opinion.

• Like 1

Barry Windham being allowed to use a taped fist (when the taped fist was otherwise illegal) because of the Enforcers breaking his arm in the car door months earlier.  

• Like 1

Owen with the broken hand was the best use of a worked injury, imo.especislly when the cast would come off and be used as a weapon. 

Right around the time I lost interesting the WWFwaswhen Randy Orton was coming back from an injured Vince woild always ask him how he was doing - and Randy would always reply with a %. I like to think that was an ode to Bob Orton, but that's not the WWF way