DVDVR Message Board

General 80s Project Thread

tim.

The flipside is that it's really easy to find a shit ton of Portland online if you want to tackle it. I love the 80s projects, but you get so much more from watching the weekly TV and promos and Buddy Rose wrestling people in matches that just wouldn't make the set but to see what he'd do against different opponents and different settings. 

That said, the Portland set will be amazing. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think with my schedule right now, Portland will be next but I am looking at a Christmas release. I have not given up on this project and I am committed to at least 3 more sets. So... you have the thanksgiving and Xmas holidays to finish lucha

Do you mind spilling the beans on the 3rd? I know Puerto Rico & Portland are 2. I am hoping the 3rd is Continental/Southeastern. I have all the footage already but I would love you to do an 80s set for the territory since so many people haven't ever seen it before and it's AWESOME. I'm sure I would be more active posting for that set than any of the others I've done.

Plus I'd still buy the set because it'd make it a lot easier to find all the really good stuff. The footage is a damn mess with stuff spread out all over the place and episodes from totally different time periods on the same disc.

• 2 weeks later...

I put on the last disc of the New Japan set the other night and fell asleep with it running. Funny enough, the disc went straight through the extras and was still playing in a loop when I woke up instead of going to the menu. Kind of half-watched it as it rolled through for the dozenth time so here are some thoughts on stuff that never got watched by me back when I first got the set. 

Vader, the Bull, and Mad Dog is one team you'd definitely want on your side in a bar fight. Liger did a good job standing up to them. Speaking of Liger, his match with Hoshino was pretty chippy. I guess Hoshino was feuding with him the same time as Sano was and the crowd was hugely pro-Hoshino, with lots of chants for him on the hand-held. 

Even though it only made #129, Buzz Sawyer vs. Victor Zangiev was awesome! Only being familiar with Sawyer from the jobber squash/censored Sullivan promo in WCW ("IT'S NOT THE DOG'S FAULT!") it was cool to see him go toe-to-toe with a legit amateur in Zangiev. They did a lot of cool amateur rides and reversals into some huge suplexes. The belly-to-belly to finish off Zangiev was just enormous, Buzz brought him up way high over his shoulder before slamming the piss out of him. Then all the US guys hit the ring, Vader with flag in hand, to celebrate. It was cool to see them as faces in the match with the crowd chanting "USA" and Zangiev doing his hostile scowling afterward as good as in the Hash match. Need to watch this again. 

I did watch the Liger/Sano matches initially and have a better appreciation for them now than I did then. About halfway through the second one it seems to turn into an '80s lucha apuestas match with both guys just beating the hell out of each other in between highspots. Gotta go back and watch the first one now. 

Hash/Choshu is cool to see, a future vs. past match on the cusp of the new decade, the guy who is carrying the company forward vs. the guy that held it up through most of the '80s for the belt. Hash lost the beard and looks like he will for the next decade plus. It also has a bit of a revenge basis as there's a three minute match between them in the extras where Hash wins with a completely out-of-nowhere rollup that Choshu sells with a sense of surprise and almost pride in the young guy getting one up on him. This made it to #36 and it's obvious why. I think the wrong guy won but what can you do. 

Of course the extras are fun. You get Hogan's wedding (Inoki to Hogan: "Beautiful wedding."); SD Jones/Abby/Bad News as heel gaijin/black wrestler trifecta; Killer Khan going nuts; some really cool Bulldogs action with blonde afro-bedecked Dr. D in tow; Inoki hustling the earliest of Walkmans; the short match between Inoki and Choshu that ends with Masa Saito introducing Big Van Vader for the first time, who promptly squashes Inoki and causes a riot that gets NJPW banned from the Dome. There's not much evidence of the riot except for some thrown drinks. What exactly went down and why were the fans so pissed? Because of the short main and the squash? I don't quite get it. 

Even though it only made #129, Buzz Sawyer vs. Victor Zangiev was awesome! Only being familiar with Sawyer from the jobber squash/censored Sullivan promo in WCW ("IT'S NOT THE DOG'S FAULT!") it was cool to see him go toe-to-toe with a legit amateur in Zangiev. They did a lot of cool amateur rides and reversals into some huge suplexes. The belly-to-belly to finish off Zangiev was just enormous, Buzz brought him up way high over his shoulder before slamming the piss out of him. Then all the US guys hit the ring, Vader with flag in hand, to celebrate. It was cool to see them as faces in the match with the crowd chanting "USA" and Zangiev doing his hostile scowling afterward as good as in the Hash match. Need to watch this again.

You need to check out the Sawyer vs Duggan matches from the Mid South set. Unfortunately only the dog collar one is online but their first one is just an ugly brawl between two hosses. Totally the kind of thing you'd be into.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the New Japan set years ago and have yet to finish it.  Started over a few months back and have made it to disc 10 now.  Here's the listing for you (my copy and paste skills know no bounds):

Tatsumi Fujinami & Kantaro Hoshino vs. Dynamite Kid & Steve Keirn (1/18/80)
Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Steve Keirn (2/3 Falls) (2/1/80)
Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Dynamite Kid (2/5/80)
Antonio Inoki vs. Stan Hansen (2/8/80)
Gran Hamada vs. Babyface (4/3/80)
Antonio Inoki vs. Stan Hansen (4/3/80)
Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Chavo Guerrero (5/9/80)
Antonio Inoki vs. Stan Hansen (5/9/80)
Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Tony Rocco (9/11/80)
Antonio Inoki vs. Stan Hansen (9/11/80)
Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Tony Londos (9/19/80)
Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Kengo Kimura (9/25/80)
Chavo Guerrero vs. Kengo Kimura (9/30/80)
Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Ron Starr (9/30/80)
Bob Backlund vs. Stan Hansen (9/30/80)
Chavo Guerrero vs. Kengo Kimura (11/3/80)
Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Steve Keirn (11/6/80)
Tiger Mask vs. Dynamite Kid (4/23/81)
Antonio Inoki vs. Stan Hansen (4/23/81)
George Takano vs. Stan Lane (7/24/81)
Tiger Mask & Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Pete Roberts & El Solitario (9/4/81)
Andre the Giant vs. Stan Hansen (9/23/81)
Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Isamu Teranishi (10/8/81)
Tiger Mask & Kengo Kimura vs. Negro Navarro & El Signo (10/30/81)
Tiger Mask vs. Gran Hamada (11/6/81)
Tiger Mask vs. El Canek (12/8/81)
Antonio Inoki & Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Andre the Giant & Rene Goulet (12/10/81)
Tiger Mask, Antonio Inoki & Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Baby Face, Dynamite Kid & Abdullah the Butcher (1/8/82)
Tiger Mask vs. Dynamite Kid (1/28/82)
Tiger Mask vs. Bret Hart (2/5/82)
Tiger Mask vs. Steven Wright (4/1/82)
Andre the Giant vs. Killer Khan (4/1/82)
Tiger Mask vs. Black Tiger (5/26/82)
Hulk Hogan vs. Abdullah the Butcher (5/26/82)
Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Dick Murdoch (7/6/82)
Tiger Mask & Kengo Kimura vs. Bret Hart & Dynamite Kid (7/16/82)
Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Dick Murdoch (7/23/82)
Tiger Mask vs. Dynamite Kid (8/5/82)
Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Hiroshi Hamaguchi (9/24/82)
Tiger Mask vs. Kuniaki Kobayashi (11/4/82)
Andre the Giant vs. Hulk Hogan (12/9/82)
Tiger Mask vs. Kuniaki Kobayashi (1/6/83)
Gran Hamada, Kantaro Hoshino & Tiger Mask vs. Missionaries De La Muerte (1/14/83)
Tiger Mask & Kantaro Hoshino vs. Kuniaki Kobayashi & Gran Hamada (2/10/83)
Antonio Inoki & Kengo Kimura vs. Adrian Adonis & Bob Orton Jr. (3/4/83)
Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Riki Choshu (4/3/83)
Tiger Mask vs. Dynamite Kid (4/21/83)
Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Riki Choshu (4/21/83)
Akira Maeda vs. Killer Khan (5/17/83)
Hulk Hogan vs. Antonio Inoki (IWGP League Final) (6/2/83)
Dick Murdoch vs. Abdullah the Butcher (7/7/83)
Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Riki Choshu (7/7/83)
Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Riki Choshu (8/4/83)
Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Riki Choshu (9/21/83)
Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Killer Khan (11/3/83)
Tatsumi Fujinami & Akira Maeda vs. Riki Choshu & Higo Hamaguchi (12/2/83)
Tatsumi Fujinami, Akira Maeda & Kengo Kimura vs. Riki Choshu, Yoshiaki Yatsu & Animal Hamaguchi (12/8/83)
Antonio Inoki, Akira Maeda & Yoshiaki Fujiwara vs. Riki Choshu, Yoshiaki Yatsu & Animal Hamaguchi, (2/9/84)
Nobuhiko Takada vs. Kuniaki Kobayashi (3/9/84)
Tatsumi Fujinami, Seiji Sakaguchi & Yoshiaki Fujiwara vs. Riki Choshu, Yoshiaki Yatsu & Higo Hamaguchi (3/22/84)
5-on-5 Gauntlet (4/19/84)
Antonio Inoki vs. Riki Choshu (5/18/84)
Antonio Inoki vs. Andre the Giant (6/11/84)
Bob Backlund vs. Riki Choshu (8/24/84)
Riki Choshu vs. Greg Valentine (9/7/84)
Antonio Inoki vs. Billy Crusher (9/17/84)
The Cobra vs. Hiroshi Saito (11/9/84)
Tatsumi Fujinami & Antonio Inoki vs. Dick Murdoch & Adrian Adonis (12/7/84)
Tatsumi Fujinami & Kengo Kimura vs. Adrian Adonis & Dick Murdoch (12/8/84)
Hulk Hogan vs. Tatsumi Fujinami (2/5/85)
Antonio Inoki & Seiji Sakaguchi vs. Dick Murdoch & Adrian Adonis (3/29/85)
Keiichi Yamada vs. Shunji Kosugi (4/18/85)
Tatsumi Fujinami & Kengo Kimura vs. Dick Murdoch & Adrian Adonis (5/24/85)
Andre the Giant & Tony St. Clair vs. Seiji Sakaguchi & Kantaro Hoshino (6/13/85)
The Cobra vs. Don Arakawa (8/1/85)
Keiji Mutoh, Keiichi Yamada & Kengo Kimura vs. Shinya Hashimoto, Shunji Kosugi & Kantaro Hoshino (9/13/85)
Antonio Inoki vs. Bruiser Brody (10/31/85)
Dick Murdoch vs. Bruiser Brody (11/22/85)
Tatsumi Fujinami & Kengo Kimura vs. Masked Superstar & Dick Murdoch (11/29/85)
Tatsumi Fujinami & Kengo Kimura vs. Antonio Inoki & Seiji Sakaguchi (12/6/85)
Antonio Inoki vs. Dick Murdoch (12/10/85)
Tatsumi Fujinami & Kengo Kimura vs. Antonio Inoki & Seiji Sakaguchi (12/12/85)
Akira Maeda vs. Nobuhiko Takada (1/3/86)
Akira Maeda vs. Yoshiaki Fujiwara (1/10/86)
Akira Maeda vs. Yoshiaki Fujiwara (2/5/86)
Antonio Inoki & Keiichi Yamada vs. Nobuhiko Takada & Osamu Kido (2/5/86)
Antonio Inoki vs. Yoshiaki Fujiwara (2/6/86)
Tatsumi Fujinami, Kengo Kimura, & Shiro Koshinaka vs. Akira Maeda, Nobuhiko Takada, & Yoshiaki Fujiwara (3/7/86)
Antonio Inoki, Tatsumi Fujinami, Kengo Kimura, Umanosuke Ueda & Kantaro Hoshino vs. Akira Maeda, Yoshiaki Fujiwara, Osamu Kido, Nobuhiko Takada & Kazuo Yamazaki (3/26/86)
5-on-5 Gauntlet (5/1/86)
Kengo Kimura vs. Yoshiaki Fujiwara (5/16/86)
Antonio Inoki vs. Yoshiaki Fujiwara (6/12/86)
Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Akira Maeda (6/12/86)
Nobuhiko Takada vs. The Cobra (6/17/86)
Antonio Inoki vs. Dick Murdoch (6/19/86)
Akira Maeda & Yoshiaki Fujiwara vs. Bad News Allen & Steve Williams (7/25/86)
Nobuhiko Takada vs. Shiro Koshinaka (8/5/86)
Tatsumi Fujinami, Kengo Kimura, Kantaro Hoshino, George Takano & Shiro Koshinaka vs. Akira Maeda, Yoshiaki Fujiwara, Osamu Kido, Nobuhiko Takada & Kazuo Yamazaki (9/16/86)
Nobuhiko Takada vs. Shiro Koshinaka (9/19/86)
Akira Maeda vs. Don Nakaya Nielsen (10/9/86)
Tatsumi Fujinami & Keiji Muto vs. Nobuhiko Takada & Shiro Koshinaka (11/24/86)
Akira Maeda & Osamu Kido vs. Nobuhiko Takada & Shiro Koshinaka (12/8/86)
Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Kengo Kimura (1/2/87)
Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Kengo Kimura (1/14/87)
Tatsumi Fujinami & Shiro Koshinaka vs. Nobuhiko Takada & Akira Maeda (2/2/87)
Nobuhiko Takada vs. Shiro Koshinaka (2/5/87)
Keiji Mutoh & Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Yoshiaki Fujiwara & Akira Maeda (2/5/87)
Nobuhiko Takada & Akira Maeda vs. Keiji Mutoh & Shiro Koshinaka (3/20/87)
Nobuhiko Takada & Akira Maeda vs. Keiji Mutoh & Shiro Koshinaka (3/26/87)
Antonio Inoki vs. Masa Saito (4/27/87)
Nobuhiko Takada & Akira Maeda vs. Yoshiaki Fujiwara & Kazuo Yamazaki (5/25/87)
Riki Choshu vs. Yoshiaki Fujiwara (6/9/87)
Kengo Kimura vs. Masa Saito (6/10/87)
Riki Choshu, Super Strong Machine & Kuniaki Kobayashi vs. Yoshiaki Fujiwara, Osamu Kido & Nobuhiko Takada (6/12/87)
Riki Choshu vs. Yoshiaki Fujiwara (6/29/87)
Masaharu Funaki & Akira Nogami vs. Yoji Anjo & Tatsuo Nakano (7/18/87)
Nobuhiko Takada & Akira Maeda vs. Super Strong Machine & Kuniaki Kobayashi (8/2/87)
Antonio Inoki, Yoshiaki Fujiwara, Seiji Sakaguchi, Kantaro Hoshino & Keiji Mutoh vs. Tatsumi Fujinami, Kengo Kimura, Riki Choshu, Akira Maeda & Super Strong Machine (8/19/87)
Akira Maeda vs. Super Strong Machine (8/20/87)
Nobuhiko Takada vs. Kuniaki Kobayashi (8/20/87)
Akira Maeda vs. Yoshiaki Fujiwara (8/29/87)
Akira Maeda & Nobuhiko Takada vs. Yoshiaki Fujiwara & Kazuo Yamazaki (9/1/87)
Keiichi Yamada & Nobuhiko Takada vs. Mark Rocco & Owen Hart (9/7/87)
Yoshiaki Fujiwara & Antonio Inoki vs. Akira Maeda & Tatsumi Fujinami (9/7/87)
Tatsumi Fujinami, Nobuhiko Takada, Riki Choshu, Akira Maeda & Super Strong Machine vs. Antonio Inoki, Dick Murdoch, Yoshiaki Fujiwara, Masa Saito & Seiji Sakaguchi (9/17/87)
Dick Murdoch & Antonio Inoki vs. Yoshiaki Fujiwara & Masa Saito (12/4/87)
Kengo Kimura & Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Yoshiaki Fujiwara & Masa Saito (12/7/87)
Nobuhiko Takada & Osamu Kido vs. Kazuo Yamazaki & Yoshiaki Fujiwara (12/27/87)
Keiichi Yamada vs. Masakazu Funaki (12/27/87)
Hiroshi Hase vs. Kuniaki Kobayashi (12/27/87)
Keiichi Yamada vs. Shiro Koshinaka (1/25/88)
Keiichi Yamada vs. Hiroshi Hase (2/4/88)
Antonio Inoki vs. Riki Choshu (2/4/88)
Nobuhiko Takada vs. Hiroshi Hase (3/11/88)
Shiro Koshinaka & Antonio Inoki vs. Hiroshi Hase & Riki Choshu (4/11/88)
Akira Nogami, Tatsutoshi Goto, Keiichi Yamada, Kantaro Hoshino & Shiro Koshinaka vs. Kuniaki Kobayashi, Hiroshi Hase, Hiroshi Saito, Norio Honaga & Kensuke Sasaki (4/27/88)
Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Vader (4/27/88)
Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Riki Choshu (5/27/88)
Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Riki Choshu (6/24/88)
Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Vader (6/26/88)
Yoshiaki Fujiwara vs. Don Nakaya Nielsen (7/29/88)
Antonio Inoki vs. Vader (7/29/88)
Tatsumi Fujinami, Keiichi Yamada, Shiro Koshinaka, Yoshiaki Fujiwara & Kengo Kimura vs. Hiroshi Saito, Kuniaki Kobayashi, Super Strong Machine, Masa Saito & Riki Choshu (9/12/88)
Keiichi Yamada & Shiro Koshinaka vs. Perro Aguayo & El Canek (10/10/88)
Tatsumi Fujinami, Shinya Hashimoto & Masa Chono vs. Tracy Smothers, Steve Armstrong & George Takano (11/11/88)
Antonio Inoki, Riki Choshu & Kantaro Hoshino vs. Yoshiaki Fujiwara, Kengo Kimura & Osamu Kido (11/11/88)
Antonio Inoki, Riki Choshu & Kantaro Hoshino vs. Scott Hall, Bob Orton & Dick Murdoch (11/17/88)
Antonio Inoki, Riki Choshu & Kantaro Hoshino vs. Tatsutoshi Goto, Masa Saito & Seiji Sakaguchi (12/5/88)
Tatsumi Fujinami vs. The Grappler (12/5/88)
Tatsutoshi Goto, Masa Saito, Seiji Sakaguchi vs. Scott Hall, Bob Orton & Dick Murdoch (12/7/88)
Keiichi Yamada vs. Shiro Koshinaka (12/9/88)
Naoki Sano & Osamu Matsuda vs. El Bello Greco & Sergio El Hermoso (1/6/89)
Yoshiaki Fujiwara & Kengo Kimura vs. El Bello Greco & Sergio El Hermoso (2/3/89)
Antonio Inoki vs. Riki Choshu (2/22/89)
Shiro Koshinaka vs. Hiroshi Hase (3/16/89)
Riki Choshu & Masa Saito vs. George Takano & Super Strong Machine (3/16/89)
Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Jerry Lawler (3/16/89)
Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Vader (4/24/89)
Shinya Hashimoto vs. Victor Zangiev (4/24/89)
Shinya Hashimoto vs. Vader (4/24/89)
Riki Choshu vs. Big Van Vader (6/27/89)
Jushin Liger vs. Black Tiger (European Rounds) (7/12/89)
Riki Choshu vs. Salman Hashimikov (7/12/89)
Jushin Liger vs. Naoki Sano (7/13/89)
Big Van Vader vs. Salman Hashimikov (7/13/89)
Riki Choshu & Takayuki Iizuka vs. Super Strong Machine & George Takano (7/13/89)
Hiroshi Hase & Takayuki Iizuka vs. Naoki Sano & Akira Nogami (8/3/89)
Riki Choshu, Jushin Liger & Kengo Kimura vs. Big Van Vader, Manny Fernandez & Buzz Sawyer (8/3/89)
Jushin Liger vs. Kantaro Hoshino (8/5/89)
Buzz Sawyer vs. Victor Zangiev (8/5/89)
Jushin Liger & Akira Nogami vs. Kantaro Hoshino & Naoki Sano (8/8/89)
Jushin Liger vs. Naoki Sano (8/10/89)
Akira Nogami vs. Naoki Sano (8/31/89)
Jushin Liger, Kengo Kimura & Riki Choshu vs. Pat Tanaka, Owen Hart & Bam Bam Bigelow (8/31/89)
Riki Choshu vs. Shinya Hashimoto (12/7/89)

Even though I was on hand live for a good bit of it, I for one can't wait for the Portland set! Maybe I'm lazy, but I just don't have the patience to spend an hour on Youtube listing what I want to watch and then trying to sort the stuff into some sort of chronological order.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

the nwa/wcw set should be priority if you want participation to boom again IMO, I think this would sell more than any other, just curious out of all that's been done so far which set sold the most? Im still working thru the Lucha set but modt of the matches are so long its a task

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just looked up Lutte International from Montreal on Wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutte_Internationale). They said there's no master tapes but there is VHS footage out there; anybody seen any of it floating around? Also, here are some interesting tidbits I read there:

The Paul Sauvé Centre was the promotion's original home arena. They occasionally visited Verdun Auditorium, the arena for rival Grand Prix Wrestling, when the Paul Sauvé Centre was booked for an annual Occult Sciences show.

Occult Sciences?!

On July 26, 1982, Lutte Internationale premiered at the Montreal Forum bringing pro wrestling back to the venue after a six-year absence.[9] Nick Bockwinkeldefended the AWA World Heavyweight Championship against Tony Parisi at the Paul Sauvé Arena a year later; Celine Dion opened the show by performing the Canadian national anthem.[17]

In 1982. What was she, 16?

• 3 months later...

I invested in the initial 80s WWF set when that came out and mailed in the discs and what not, but I have misplaced a couple of those discs over time. I also thought I'd seen a couple of the other sets pop up on torrent trackers over the years. I kind of wish I had kept up with this so I could have all of that footage. As I approach my 30s, I would probably appreciate running through that stuff more than watching a lot of current wrestling.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...