DVDVR Message Board

CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING from HOLLYWOOD/MEMPHIS/ATLANTA

DEAN

HALSTON BODDY'S COASTLINE CLASH WEEK ONE~!

Jordan Cruz loses a tooth and gains 100% charisma.  Congrats to the NEW Hollywood Heritage Champion!  I was actually surprised by how much I liked Slade vs. Cruz.   I could tell that the title was going to change hands by how often Flex McCallum got wiped out during the match.  This was all about McCallum's buffonery backfiring in a match where the challenger would not be denied and it was pretty good stuff.  Jordan Cruz should not get an replacement cap.  He should keep the hockey goon look.

CeCe Chanel brings a two by four to her match with Viva Van.  She is too pretty to be using Hacksaw Jim Duggan's playbook.   Perhaps a chair painted in gold or a kendo stick with streamers?  Viva Van has a tattoo of Ariel from The Little Mermaid on her left arm so I can only hate her so much.  The match itself is pretty good, but the finish is a real clusterfuck:  a million run ins, cheap shots with an international object, and Viva Van abandons her beautiful Ocean Cyclone Suplex for a suspect looking Heart Punch.  The only saving grace is Jamie Iovine's glorious Universal Monsters t-shirt.

Jordan Clearwater vs. Jack Banning is a last man standing match.  This starts off as the least fighty LMS match but things get interesting when the trash can gets involved.  The trash can lid assisted enziguri was a nice touch.  The booking is smart enough to put in a spot where Clearwater's Midas Touch finisher is compromised early which is sure to come into play later on.  Holy fuck, I think Banning just killed Clearwater, but the ref's deliberate count saves the action.   At first I thought that the introduction of the [redacted you've got to see it for yourself to believe it] was going to be stupid, but somehow Banning and Clearwater made it work.  Clearwater wins but the war rages on.  I really really like this feud and this did not feel like a blow-off.  I think they have one more violent match left in them.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Like that they switched up the intro for these shows.

Gotta suck to lose a tooth and then have to go into another taping. But he looked good! I still don't quite understand the title hierarchy in CWFH though.

CeCe looks good aside from striking. Viva Van just looked good period. I thought that CeCe might actually win when Moone and Mylo came in the handle Jaime and Halston.

Hey Clearwater must be making a few more bucks because he upgraded his jacket from that air brushed thing to some nice sequins and stitching. In a week with Blood and Guts their LMS match didn't really compare but it was still good.

• Like 1

First 2 matches this week were ok. Dan Joseph slowly turning into angry gym teacher is amazing.

Elimination style matches are the best multi man matches. Besides that, not too much to the episode. I'm not sure what's going on next week though.

• Like 1

Looks like Wasted Youth is splitting up and heading into a feud.  

Kevin Martinson has a really nasty looking brainbuster.

Tag match was pretty good and not quite the clusterfuck it looked like it might be on paper.  Danny Limelight must be a fulltime AEW guy now since Boogie and Escobar are defending the belts now.  I am happy that Bodega won.  Last thing I need is Tweakaseti managing champions.

Papo Esco told us that they added Slice Boogie to the Bodega "So we an do the Freebirds rule with the tag belts." But then Papo is a huge southern territory mark. We talked OMG,Kamala and Stan Frazier before we started recording the interview.

Cruz is decent and I bet they are hoping he keeps improving so in a year he an also work Championship Wrestling Gulf Coast,based in Lake Charles LA.

My lady saw Viva's Ariel tattoo and now she has a new "absolute fave wrestler".

Fun episode. I miss seeing Watts though. Been what a year since he had a match on the show? 

BTW Z Living is airing MST3k on Fridays and DANGER MAN every weeknight around 3am. Plus 2 episodes of Hunter every weeknight at 11pm.

• Haha 1

Part 3 of Coastline Clash was pretty good.   Dan Joseph and Sweet Robin Shaw unveiled new finishers and Jack Cartwright wrestled a near classic against Levi Shapiro.  Poor Jack came up short and looked so dejected at the end of the match. He really sold the importance of wanting to win the title.  I was really impressed!

He deserves a rematch and hopefully he will pull off a win.  He obviously needs to even the odds, but I cannot think of anyone on the roster that could be his back-up.

• Like 1

I thought Jervis was going to pull a fast one coming out hurt.

Todd mentioning that if Jack lost he'd have to leave CWFH was interesting. I guess with that finish it's up to interpretation. He hasn't been getting looks anywhere else, right?

Great match though, Jack is a perfect matchup for Levi or is Levi just pretty good since he worked well with Dan Joseph too.

• 2 weeks later...

If that match had a Loser Leaves Town stip, I expect Jack to come back under a mask with a Yellow Dog / Midnight Rider gimmick and harass Shapiro until he wins the belt.   If he does come back, he needs to align himself with two more guys now that the Price Check Ranch is a stable of three.

• Like 1

So this appears to be a new episode.

Wasted Youth are back together!? And no mention of their past issues? Did we just have a reset like nothing happened? The Young Goats look ok.

The Greater Scranton YMCA Roller Blade League shirt that Kevin Martensen had on was great. 

Dom Kubrick's mask, robe and strut are hilarious.

Clearwater needs to shave down the sides of his hair because it looks like he's balding from certain angles with the top pulled back. Brett Michaels looking real jacked baby. Apparently he's a Memphis guy? Honest John doing the horns to Howdy and Levi as he's down on the ground as hilarious.

Heritage championship match is a handicap match. Flex stooged pretty well. And Cruz facial expressions are hilarious.

Shit I was hoping Brett wouldn't come infect CWFH with his crappiness.

Brett has been around Memphis/Upper MS for years now. 6 years ago was at  a Hollywood Jimmy show in Lula MS. Brett and his partner aka TEAM PED were in the main event. After a few minutes I said f this and went and sat in the locker room and listened to Bill Dundee,Precious and Nate the Rat tell stories about Memphis.

Ah Brett is back. To be so jacked and not explosive is a sin.

Robin Shaw with a manager now, and he seems kinda creepy.

More women's division shenanigans.

Ray Rosas (gotta roll those Rs) got some funky gear again. Honest John got a decent amount of offense in, I assume it was a gauge on where he's a development wise.  

• Like 1

Dan Joseph was fed up with Lazarus from the jump. Midnight Heat with a Johnny Sinz reference right away.

Kevin Martinsen vs. Darwin Finch was fun.

Wasted Youth actually talking about their issues!? Nah, now they're broken up!

Jack Cartwright telling Beef Candy to chew on his Twizzler? This is a spicy episode. That Stomp/Unprettier combo did not look good.

The way Jack Farmer said "Mi Gente" and "B" when interviewing The Bodega was hilarious. Danny Limelight making quick work of Honest John.

• Like 1

I was happy to see that someone remembered that Jack wrestled Shapiro to a time limit draw and therefore did not have to leave the promition.

I am digging the tag team of CeCe Chanel and Ruby Raze.   They need a name.  I half expected the bookers to pair Ruby with Viva Van.  That probably would've made more sense, but CeCe and Ruby work well together. 

That being said, Halston needs to bring in another monster heel to counter Ruby, unless they put Viva over Ruby convincingly to show that Viva can hold her own against Ruby.

• Like 1

Dug the tag title match, The Bodega have their schtick down pat now. 

Clearwater has been jobbing a decent bit since going over Banning, wonder if he's on his way out.

Well the Heat Street video was everything I thought it would be and more.

Gotta give some love to Blake Troop announcing too the little things he points out about why a guy would do a certain thing and how it might effect things later is great. 

Michaels is still a stiff but Levi is good at controlling so the match is good. Howdy Price with the shenanigans and Levi with the loaded punch to bring it home.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Levi Shapiro tribute episode was fucking awesome!  Those punches!

So, it looks like Killer Bae Heather Monroe is working Memphis now.

Edited by J.T.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

New Episode. They filmed at Center Stage in Atlanta.

Andy Brown vs. Manny Lemons was ok. Lemons was very indy and I love it.

Hey, Heather Monroe is back! Who's Reka Tehaka?

Marti Belle doing backstage stuff?

Bodega are back! 

Juicy Finau? That's a big dude. He needs some more work though.

Hey it's Dalton Castle's Boys! They're looking pretty jacked baby. 

The formerly known Aiden English looked good.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Ramo2653 said:

New Episode. They filmed at Center Stage in Atlanta.

Andy Brown vs. Manny Lemons was ok. Lemons was very indy and I love it.

Hey, Heather Monroe is back! Who's Reka Tehaka?

Marti Belle doing backstage stuff?

Bodega are back! 

Juicy Finau? That's a big dude. He needs some more work though.

Hey it's Dalton Castle's Boys! They're looking pretty jacked baby. 

The formerly known Aiden English looked good.

Reka Tehaka has been on Dark/Elevation quite a bit. 

I'm watching this now.  I'm digging Andy Brown.  Manny Lemons is preposterous.

Heather Monroe is so good.  She can carry a green gal to such watchable matches.  She's the Hollywood John Tatum of American indie women's wrestling.

Yeah, Finau needs work.  He should be in 1983 Memphis being hotshotted to main event against Jerry Lawler.

I was going to say that the Tate Twins were on OVW last I saw.  I dig that OVW sent a match.

I was checking cagematch.net because I was trying to remember who Matt Rehwoldt wrestled on Impact (it was a good little match against Trey Miguel) and see that he is wrestling EVERYWHERE.  I love that he is like magician who also wrestles.

I love this.  Atlanta forever!

• Like 1

I watched the replay of the HAMPTON UNIVERSITY VS. howard university Battle of the HU's on Sunday rather than go through my usual ritual of going through all of the wrestling I recorded over the weekend (RoH, CWFH, etc.)

I haven't purged last weekend's CWFH from the DVR yet, so I will be all caught up after dinner tonight.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

Aw.  Andy Brown has shaved off his hair and gone back to his Uptown gimmick and is not using SoCal Distancing's awesome wub wub theme.  Good match.  Lemons put in good work and the right guy went over.  You can't job Andy Brown out of the gate.  Dude is a machine and is definitely the man you want in the ring in the curtain jerker of your first episode.

It is odd seeing Heather Monroe running as a heel again with no Halston Boddy in sight. Heather carries Reka Tehaka on her back to the finish line.  Reka does not look like she's spent months working AEW Dark.  You'd think she wouldn't be as green as she appears to be.  Why is Heather Monroe unsigned by a big deal organization?

MARTI BELLE IS SO ADORABLE~!  She looks tiny compared to Juicy Finau, but who wouldn't?  Why is Marti not in the ring?  I think Heather Monroe vs. Marti Belle would've yielded better spots than Monroe vs. Reka Tehaka.

Juicy Finau needs to work on the fundamentals, like how to catch a guy when he's diving so that he doesn't kill himself.  Finau also needs to take more pages out of the stereotypical Pacific Islander wrestling playbook so that he has enough incidental offense and isn't just relying on the big man who won't go down thing.  Not a single headbutt transition back to offense.  Shameful.

Tate Twins match was equal parts decent and sketchy.  Tate Twins have decent tag team offense but those punches and forearm shivers were suspect!  Brandon Espinoza is the glue that held that match togther.

They sure gave Drama King and Starboy a lot of time!  Not a bad match overall.  So Rehwoldt and Ace Austin are both wrestlers that practice slight of hand magic in their spare time?  Cool!

I fully support ATL as the new hub for indy workers trying to get gigs in Jacksonville with AEW and don't forget that RoH in Baltimore is a straight shot up I-95. RVA has no real venues to hold big fed wrestling cards, but the Siegel Center in VCU would be a decent place for a major indy to run cards and RVA is an old school pro wrestling stronghold.  UWN should ponder coming here to the 804.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1