DVDVR Message Board

CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING from HOLLYWOOD/MEMPHIS/ATLANTA

DEAN

Danny Limelight vs. Clark Conners was good stuff.  It's refreshing to see that CW has the decency to reserve one of their shows for actual workrate and silently acknowledges that the Mempho stuff is a circus sideshow that Uncle Mikey and the Skimahorns carry on their backs for the entire runtime.

• 3 weeks later...

Midnight Heat versus TMDK- Bad Dude Tito and Shane Haste- is really good.  Midnight Heat are a fun 80's tag team.  Tito is on a roll!

• Like 2

Oh man!  Zicky Dice vs Danny Limelight for the UWN title is really fucking good!  Danielle Karmela versus Johnny Robbie is good.  Karmela is the best wrestler to never actually win a match.

• Like 2

Awesome!  Derby City Wrestling joins Memphis and Hollywood from United Wrestling Network!  From Louisville!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, DEAN said:

Kevin Martenson is SO good.  Charles Cassus is a spry fat boy.

Loved the booking of desperate champ Kevin Martenson breaking submissions moves out of his ass to counter R3's power.  When the title means something to you, you pull out all of the stops.

I was also impressed with both guys's ability to sell the wear and tear and overall battle fatigue.  I always appreciate when guys remember to use the selling to contribute to the story.  The final stretch where Cassius wasn't able to execute finishing moves or secure pinfalls because he sold the damage to his arm was number one and the best.  It was also great how Cassius didn't participate in the post-match beatdown because he was selling the flying knee drop that killed him dead.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, DEAN said:

This week's Derby City wrestling sucks it.

The first set of tapings (I think the first three episodes) didn't have much. The next set has a Jake Something/Lord Krewe match I liked live. I think it'll be on episode 4, but not 100% on that.

• Like 1

Danny Limelight makes Rocco Balaggio look like a million bucks.  This is good.  I can't believe they wasted PPA vs Bryan Myers so much.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

DEAN wouldn't stop pimping this stuff for a reason. I want to tag Log! I want to say @Log ! It won't turn blue.

The rest of these Derby City tapings smoke anything from the other territories because they have the OVW crowds and talent to build off of. I've watched the last three shows and they are THE BEST AEW DARK REPLACEMENT on YouTube. I mean fuck watch CMLL Viernes Espectacular over anything else but if you need English commentary and a studio vibe, Derby wrecks everything else. NWA by multitudes.

• Like 4

On 5/16/2023 at 11:34 PM, John E. Dynamite said:

DEAN wouldn't stop pimping this stuff for a reason. I want to tag Log! I want to say @Log ! It won't turn blue.

The rest of these Derby City tapings smoke anything from the other territories because they have the OVW crowds and talent to build off of. I've watched the last three shows and they are THE BEST AEW DARK REPLACEMENT on YouTube. I mean fuck watch CMLL Viernes Espectacular over anything else but if you need English commentary and a studio vibe, Derby wrecks everything else. NWA by multitudes.

Has the Lord Krewe/Jake Something match aired yet? I thought that one was really good live.

I may try to take my son to the May taping.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Zeda Zhang vs. Johnnie Robbie had no business being this decent.  Some of Zeda's kicks were suspect but overall this wasn't entirely horrible. 

Robbie embraces her inner heel and wrestles for two.  Holy shit, she's good.  Zeda does an admirable job of fighting defensively off of her back and selling Robbie's technical onslaught.

It is a shame that winner will be tasked with carrying sometimes sloppy Savannah Storm to her first title run now that Stone is being pushed to the moon.

Edited by J.T.

Mylo Matters vs. Brynn Thorne was eh until Thorne broke out the magnificent Rings of Saturn / Koji Clutch hybrid submission finisher and then it became awesome.

Look at the hatred etched on Thorne's face as she cranks Mylo's neck.  DEAN would have wept manly tears.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1