DVDVR Message Board

CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING from HOLLYWOOD/MEMPHIS/ATLANTA

DEAN

48 minutes ago, DEAN said:

Yeah, that main event was really good before they had to go all indie with the Watts stuff.   Clark Connors vs Snypes was good.  The Bodega vs Wasted Youth would have been a fine dark match from AEW Dark.

I am a biased Bodega mark.  ONE MAN LUCHA GANG~!

Clearwater is looking a lot less green as time goes by.   I just now noticed that he's incorporating his attire into his gimmick by wearing the golden leg sleeve and kickpad on his right leg, and I also dig his catchphrase callback to Mirko Cro Cop's famous quote.

Snypes vs. Connors was pretty good.  Clark Conners has a future posing as the kayfabe kid brother of Hangman Adam Page.  

Where the fuck does CWH tape that there just happens to be sinks and old washing machines in the parking lot to be used a plunder?  You could tell that the cars weren't company property because no one got bodyslammed through a windshield.

I also liked EJ Sparks vs VSK.  Sparks deserves another shot at Rojas's Arizona State Championship.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

CWH is building up to their 500th episode extravaganza.

Will Allday vs. Snypes was as good of a heel vs. heel / tweener vs. heel match as I have seen in a while.  I am not a fan of the empty ring COVID thing, but both guys overcame that with a lot of audible shit talking.  AEW and WWE take notice. Selling varied between barely there and death selling.  Will Allday wins my heart by killing Snypes with the Busiaku Knee Kick.  Allday is a total dick.  I love this kid.  

I hate the Party Captain Guy Cool's entrance so I hope someone suitable will come and murder him.  Hey, it's Jesse James!  I will give Guy Cool some credit for using a nipple twister to gain leverage against a bigger opponent.  James kills Cool dead with a lariat finish.  This was a perfectly fine contrast of styles and a nice see-saw match-up, but I was hoping for a squash as I would've preferred to have seen James beat the everlasting monkey piss out of Guy Cool for the crime of having a really stupid gimmick.  I hope that James will join the Howdy Price stable, but most likely this is a set-up for James vs. Shapiro.

Dan Joseph vs. Jordan Cruz is a battle of Chippendale models.  I am not a fan of pretty boy matches but both guys put on a technical clinic before the strikes and power moves start ramping up and I am a sucker for scientific wrestling.  Joseph wins with his spinny side slam dealie and the match ends with a bit of class and sportsmanship.

I cannot believe they are giving Ray Rojas vs. Jordan Clearwater twenty fucking minutes.  I know Ray is a magician, but giving him the task of dragging 20 minutes out of Clearwater's five minute offense is a huge ask.  Rojas and Clearwater weave a fine tale of grizzled veteran vs. young lion.  Ray does a good job of stifling Clearwater's offense, but where is the extensive leg work?  I have no idea why the booking is not about having Rojas work over Clearwater's fighting leg to neutralize the Midas Touch.  Naturally there is a So-Cal Distancing run-in, but thank God there is no double count-out.   Clearwater wins the Heritage Championship in a tainted manner, so we will see where the booking goes from here.

This was as close to a decent episode of AEW Dark that CWH has put on.  I'm actually looking forward to the 500th episode show.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

Dug all of the matches this week. I kinda preferred Dan Joseph with the beard. Although without the beard he does look like one of those way too intense wrestling team guys I knew in college.

I'm shocked by Clearwater winning the belt, I knew he was getting a push but I didn't think it would go that far. Excited to see where it goes. Also So Cal Distancing need to actually do something. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DEAN said:

That Allday/Snypes match was the CWRH MOTY.

Allday vs Snypes set a really high bar for the rest of the show.  Goofy gimmicks and sketchy selling aside, this was as solid of a card as I've ever seen on CWH.  

I agree with Ramo that they really need to make So-Cal Distancing a more integral part of the show now that they've pretty much established them as the top heel stable.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Dollar General Stan Hansen is great. I need him to team up with Howdy and Levi.

Vaping heel? So indy, I love it. And Anthony Idol is pro-wrestling. 

Has Halston Body actually wrestled before? A quick search says no, but he does have a podcast about various jobs worked over his life and from looking at some of the titles, he's from Milwaukee!?

Snypes/Boogie was fun to watch. 

Levi's ad-libs during the match intro were hilarious. Solid match with TV champ shenanigans.

• Like 3

Snypes / Boogie was a story of selling leg work and it was really fun to watch.  Snypes got a much needed victory and even better, the story in the ring transitioned into the Bodega recruitment promo as my homies invited Slice Boogie to join the cartel.

("Yo, Boogie, man.  You out here taking Ls like the Mets, brah?")

When it comes to CWH, you may wrinkle your nose at some of the action in the ring, but the logic of the booking is off the charts.  That is quality storytelling.

Main event was full of dirty manager goodness and EJ's death sell of Levi's loaded glove was so fucking king sized.   Howdy Price's promo about how former champions are just dudes that wish they had titles again was the fucking best.

Poor Jack Cartwheel dies for my amusement.  James needs to be a part of the Howdy Price stable already.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Great episode, a lot of new faces for me and they were all good in one way or another. The booking of "Golden Leg" Jordan Clearwater continues to be fun, throwing Austin Idol into the mix is welcome.

Spoiler

Nice to see the Bodega win the titles, I like Kubrick and Miguel but the other members of SoCal Distancing are the pits and the gimmick is a loser. Real ECW feel to the finish too with a black out run in followed by more run ins. I hope the Bodega can get a clean win a rematch though, they earned that much.

Dan Joseph / Jessie James was stiff AF.  Joseph has brutal chops and James has a murderous right hand.  I dug the story about Dan Joseph abandoning his scientific skills in favor of brawling to prove to himself that he could match power with James.  Finish was great.  James cheats to add dimension to his arsenal and Joseph voices his disgust with bullshit officiating.  Million billion stars.  Another curtain jerker that had the feel of a main event like Allday / Snypes did.

I normally hate Richie Slade matches, but the booking of him and Flex beating the shit out of Jack Cartwheel and Jordan Clearwater being helpless to get involved thanks to their pre-match stip for Clearwater's title was pretty awesome.  Slade ditches his usual Tomikaze finisher in favor of a slick ass leglock to foreshadow how he might neutralize the Midas Touch when he challenges Clearwater for the Heritage belt.  Anthony Idol comes in for the rescue.  The Neon Phenomenon is pro wrestling.

I am not broken hearted about the Bodega winning the titles, but I sorta hoped it would be a clean match.  I did enjoy So-Cal Distancing calling Freebird Rules and swapping in someone else to partner with Andy Brown.  Run-ins were a bit much, but it was cool to see Ray Rojas get a little revenge and have the chaos introduce VKS and Slice Boogie into the main event mix.  Battle lines drawn.  Alliances formed.

Andy Brown is really really really good.  I like Adrian Quest too, but I hope that lifting the tag belt off of the team frees up Andy to be SCD's ace and compete for CWH's top tier singles titles.

CWH is starting to hit its stride.  The booking is well thought out and the action in the ring has improved dramatically.

Edited by J.T.

Add one more for the opening match love. That was great. I feel like Godfrey somehow undersold how big of a cluster the main event was. But it was great.

Jaime Iovine as a recurring character on the show is still one of the oddest things. Son of super rich music executive is slumming it up on an indy? How?

Well, we have Jordan Clearwater against my boy, Will Allday in the curtain jerker.  Allday insisting that he be announced properly is the best.  I laugh at the implication that green Jordan Clearwater is a better technician than Will Allday.  Allday does a really good job of chaining moves together.  You'd think that Allday would keep the larger Clearwater on the mat so he can't deliver his finisher, but I am guessing that the book wants to leave Clearwater as many avenues as possible to display his power.  You're also not asking Clearwater to sell anything other than fatigue.  I kinda hate the run-in before the finish, but I guess we need constant reminders of the pre-match stip with Beef Candy.

Cam vapes as he approaches the ring.  That is pro wrestling.  Hey!  Maybe Slice Boogie will get a win this week?  I like this match because it starts off pretty stiff and Slice has some really hard shoulder tackles.  Cam's ring assisted Codebreaker is a pretty tight spot. Slice wins with a loaded scissor kick!  There's something I haven't seen before!

HOLY FUCK~!  FRIENDSHIP FARM IS ON MY TELEVISION~!!!  Four Minutes of Heat has no idea what to think of these guys.  This match has all of the science and silliness that I hoped it would.  What a great fucking tag-team match.  I am not used to seeing 4MH taking heel shortcuts, but this is for a future title shot so both teams are selling the importance of getting a win.  Finch pulls some Three Stooges chicanery during his hope spot, BUT THE REF DOES NOT SEE THE TAG~!!  The next hope spot is a bit convoluted, but I let it slide because it's Friendship Farm.  Finch shrieks out of pure agony after selling a thunderous chop.  It is music to my ears.  Hot tag and Gentleman Jervis is in!  I am amazed by the competent officiating going on in this match.  Power Ballad on Finch and it's done.  Fuck..   4MH goes on to challenge The Bodega in Episode 500.

I am bummed that Friendship Farm did not win the main event but at least Howdy Price is here to save the show with a promo.  Beef Candy, Anthony Idol and Will Allday interrupt and then So-Cal distancing pulls the channel hijack gimmick out of the CONTRA playbook.  This gimmick is something of a waste of Andy Brown's talents.  He needs to be beating the shit out of dudes every weekend for my amusement.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Ramo2653 said:

Thought Clearwater looked really off in his match, not sure what happened there.

Tag match was dope.

Will Allday was there to save the day.  I am glad that Will kept his offense to brawling and suplexes.  Clearwater's limb selling is rather suspect, so I am glad he only had to sell fatigue and the overall assbeating.  I wonder why Allday did not come to ringside with that Texas title belt he had with him at the end of the show?  You'd think there would be more comedy mileage out of Allday bullying the announcer about the importance of his championship.

Tag match was fucking awesome.  Friendship Farm's mix of comedy and solid offense is a breath of fresh air and Darwin Finch is an amazing face in peril.  God, those screams from the chops made be a believer in the hurt he was getting put through.  I also like Jervis being the hot tag because it is so absurd that it is great. 

4MH vs. Bodega should be a solid match on the 500th episode show.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

So the card for the 500th episode show so far is:

• For the UWN Tag-Team titles - The Bodega (c) vs. 4 Minutes of Heat.
  • For the Heritage Championship - Jordan Clearwater (c) vs. Richie Slade w/ Flex.
  • Heather "the Killer Bae" Monroe & Halston Boddy vs. Ruby Raze & CeCe Chanel.  If Monroe & Boddy lose, the Women's division will be scrapped.

I will guess that there will be some sort of trios match between So-Cal Distancing and Ray Rojas, Watts, and Wrestler TBD as well as a TV title defense from Levi Shapiro.

The 500th Episode is going to be a two week extravaganza!

The curtain jerker was Clearwater vs. Slade for the Hollywood Heritage title.  Someone smart decided to keep the booking simple.  Slade wisely avoids the Midas Touch with a basement dropkick to Clearwater's knee, but the foolishly goes to top rope instead of going for his Candy Clutch leg lock.  Clearwater boots the absolute fuck out of Slade in mid-air but then takes a belt shot from a masked man and we've got a new champion.  CWFH wisely takes the belt off of Clearwater, but does so in a protective manner so he doesn't look soft.  The masked dude turns out to be Jack mother fucking Banning from the You Don't Know Jack vignettes and his guillotine choke finisher is put on full display.  A strong if conservatively booked beginning to the show.

Nest up is the rematch between Levi Shapiro and Dan Joseph for the TV title.  Howdy Price cuts a promo and uses big words like prestigious!  Dan Joseph's chest is still beet red from his match with Jesse James and now Howdy announces that Joseph will have to wrestle Shapiro and JESSIE JAMES IN A HANDICAP MATCH~!  Has James finally joined the Price Check Ranch?  Levi Shapiro and James are beating the dog piss out of Dan Joseph.  Levi's lrish Whip / Drop Toe Hold combo that lands Joseph's throat on the bottom rope is a pretty sweet spot.  Joseph's Fisherman Suplex counter to James's suplex attempt is all about pure power. Holy Fuck, Dan Joseph is taking a mauling.  Lungblower from Joseph and a near fall!  Joseph gets a good head of steam, but loses his cool and eats a killer lariat from James and that's that.  Post match beat down is totally fucking awesome.   

Dear God.  Halston Boddy and Heather Monroe have matching outfits.  CeCe Chanel and Ruby Raze have a Beauty & the Beast thing going on.  Match starts off a bit awkwardly as both Monroe and Chanel kinda blow a couple of spots, but then they do a series of pinning predicaments to get things going.  Halston Boddy inadvertently tags himself in and quickly bails the fuck out before Raze can kill him.  Monroe essentially wrestles the second handicap match of this card until Halston Boddy sheepishly makes the HOT TAG~!  Holy Fuck, but Boddy's Christopher Street offense is hilarious!  Boddy also effectively sells that the is totally clueless in the ring.  The heels have Monroe in a precarious position, but a huge miscue forces Raze to the outside of the ring.  BODDY WITH GLITTER TO THE EYES OF RUBY RAZE~!  Monroe his a sick Michinoku Driver on Chanel for the win!  CWFH Ladies division is secure!  For a match that started of really skechy, that wasn't entirely horrible.  I probably liked it more than I should have.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3