DVDVR Message Board

FEB 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

It seems like things like that have been tried in the past, where you had judges rating the matches as if it were figure skating. 

Or maybe it had been put out as a trial balloon.  Jerry Jarrett wanted to do some kind of judged show, but more like American Idol or such. 

3 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Every single Cornette. 

Jim Cornette has a decent podcast following. He isn't a power player in pro wrestling. If you're not listening to what he says, he has no influence at all over you. Matter of fact, it's hard to find a time that he was that influential. He couldn't even stop the WWE from fucking up his storylines in OVW. So I don't know what you mean by every single when Cornette himself is not a role player.

Cornette is one of the guys who exists on the periphery. He's not completely irrelevant due to his talent and his knowledge of pro wrestling, but you could never see him creating something from his own philosophy which his entire shtick is based off of. He tried with SMW, and it only went so far. And that was when he was in his early thirties and actually knew who was who. I mean I heard him try to seriously answer who he would start a promotion with (or more specifically who AEW should sign pre Dynamite), and it was like he was playing daily fantasy with WWE talent. Like dude...you realize it's not 1996-1999 when you were there and people are signed to deals that go multiple years. You're not getting any of those people. And he's the same guy touting that AEW management was being irresponsible with Tony Khan's money.

If a guy isn't even trying to deal in simple logic and selective in what he believes as a way forward to "rebuild" pro wrestling, he could never be a position to "limit" you from doing anything. No one is going to put him in a serious creative capacity especially now. Even if he was, he's just going to be disregarded and eventually replaced anyway.

Money, too

You're going to explain that one because money is not a person.

• Like 5

Cornette’s kinda become a sort of the Limbaugh type at this point for pro wrestling. Where you pass by somebody having lunch in their beat up Cadillac with bumper stickers like “I love sushi” featuring a stick figure giving another stick figure fellatio, and Calvin pissing on a Calvin logo who’s pissing back at the same Calvin logo to hear familiar southern ear splitting overtones of one James E. Cornette. You let out an “Oh boy...” under your breath, and walk away.

Though Jericho wants to be Joe Rogan, sooooo...

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Where you pass by somebody having lunch in there beat up Cadillac with bumper stickers like “I love sushi” featuring a stick figure giving another stick figure fellatio, and Calvin pissing on a Calvin logo who’s pissing back at the same Calvin logo to hear familiar southern ear splitting overtones of one James E. Cornette. You let out an “Oh boy...” under your breath, and walk away.

...what the hell are you talking about?

• Like 3

The "I love sushi" sticker is not fellatio, it's cunnilingus, but yes I've seen people with trashy bumper stickers blaring shit like Rush Limbaugh or Ben Shapiro. I can't really picture a Cornette fan driving such a vehicle, but then again I'm having a hard time imagining what his demographic base would look like/drive.

If Jim could stop being so venomous and distasteful in describing what he doesn't like, and focus on what he likes? That'd be so much more enjoyable. I've really liked listening to him going off about things he loves, but as soon as he starts getting shitty about Omega or Jordynne Grace, it's all garbage. 

He's the kind of guy who could make a legitimate, educated, and logical criticism but then fucks it all up by being such a prick about it.

Edited by christopher.annino
  • Like 5

It’s alright if you listen to it I guess, but I just find that wrestling podcasts are very same-y, or very grifter heavy, and I’ve given up listening to them completely. Plus I think I’ve heard the same stories over, and over again that they are all stuck in my head now. I’ll probably give it another try in 20 years when Jungle Boy starts his Augmented Reality Cast(Or whatever the future programming tech is) talking to the new generation of vets with wild stories.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Cornette *wishes* he had the influence over a large number of dumbasses that Limbaugh and Shapiro have.  And if you doubt the influence of the latter 2, swing by 1600 Penn.

Edited by Raziel
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Cornette *wishes* he had the influence over a large number of dumbasses that Limbaugh and Shapiro have.  And if you doubt the influence of the latter 2, swing by 1600 Penn.

You're always going to struggle with reach, when the natural audience for your podcast is made up of people who only listen to broadcast radio.

9 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

We’ll never know what was in that box.

The list of things we'll never know grows exponentially. We'll never know what's in Rowan's cage. We'll never know what Shelton was thinking about.

Wouldn't it be great if when they wanted to drop an angle, they resolved it? Instead of just stopping in midstream and hoping we all forget it ever happened?

• Like 1

Per Meltzer - the inevitable Mania card overhaul is happening 

As of now Fiend/Reigns and Cena/Elias is off

Also Bayley/Naomi was supposed to be at Mania but got moved to the Saudi show (this could be more because they got permission to have another women’s match)

Basically Dave’s quote was “every SDL match is changing or is in danger of being changed”

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Six String Orchestra said:

There's also 2 major shows before the Mania card is set. Hard to build excitement when the card isn't set. 

Thing is Mania has sold out well in advance(Or near it) prior to the complete card appearing in past years. A lot of this is on the place they’ve chosen, and the interest in the product being down. I have a feeling LA next year will be up though.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

7 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Found it so hilarious that Corny was going off on Kris Statlander's alien gimmick this week...was he as vocal about the New Breed? Is being an alien any more "business exposing" than being from the future? Lol

I'm more pissed we never got President Rhodes for real.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Cena vs Fiend would get me to actually watch this stupid thing. 

They have great chemistry, and Cena trying to murder Wyatt by tossing the steel steps at him in that last man standing match is one of my favorite spots in a match in the last decade. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Also being reported that ticket sales are down for the post-Mania RAW. That isn’t shocking considering Mania still isn’t sold out.

Tampa ain’t a good place to hold a big show.

I’m not going to defend Tampa but considering WrestleMania is attended by ALOT of people not from the city it is taking place in I think their may be other factors. Perhaps all these people who go for the spectacle from out of town are still going but the die hards who actually pay attention to the shows are turned off by the shitty booking and lack of direction leading up to this particular WrestleMania. 

• Like 2