DVDVR Message Board

FEB 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

From the Observer at the time

An almost but-not-quite debut of a new tag team called The Possee (formerly the Ebony Experience in GWF) managed by Col. Rob Parker. 

The original idea was for The Possee to be brought out in chains and shackles, to give the visual impression of a white southerner leading two black men in chains and shackles. The idea, which was the brainchild of one Sid Vicious who was so impressed when working with the duo in a tag team match at the Adkisson Memorial show in Dallas on 4/2, had wanted to bring the duo in with the gimmick of them being escaped murderers managed by Parker (Robert Fuller). 

The idea was all dressed up and ready to go on television when Eric Bischoff, who apparently didn't know the extent of the angle, nixed it just as it was about to be taped. When WCW President Bill Shaw found out about the idea which almost ran, which no doubt would have caused even more negative phone calls, he found a finger-pointing upper brass all trying to blame others for giving the approval of the idea. 

While Booker T and Stevie Ray are going to keep their jobs with WCW, when they appeared at the television tapings Monday night, they were instead called Chitown Heat (yeah, I know the punch line, they're bringing in the Power Twins as Music City Showdown and renaming The Black Hearts "Halloween Havoc") and had masking tape over their prisoner uniform numbers and they will no longer be pushed as former prisoners.

Oh Sid 

• Haha 3

Random thought i had.  I miss when they would tell you where the house shows were gonna be during Raw.

Second random thought.  Currently for attitude era finishers we have the following.

Stunner- Kevin Owens

Mandible Claw - The fiend

Pedigree - Seth Rollins

Rock bottom - Becky(maybe) she's used it during a promo segment but not a match... Yet.

Any more of them in use? Specifically non attitude era wrestlers using them in WWE.

Edited by Morganti

It’s funny. Rob Parker says it was Sid’s idea that WCW ran with. Booker says he doesn’t know where it came from but it was humiliating to him. Stevie Rays says it wasn’t racist and the whole thing was Booker and his idea. ?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Hoarr said:

It’s funny. Rob Parker says it was Sid’s idea that WCW ran with. Booker says he doesn’t know where it came from but it was humiliating to him. Stevie Rays says it wasn’t racist and the whole thing was Booker and his idea. ?

Whoever goes to WrestleCon this year needs to ask Sid about this and tape it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, D.Z said:

I thought Becky pinned Asuka with the Becky Bottom?

Beat me to it with this reply. Yes, Becky just beat Asuka with the Rock Bottom in their last match on RAW. The one where Shayna attacked her afterwards. I don't recall Becky ever really using it or winning a match with it before that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Morganti said:

Random thought i had.  I miss when they would tell you where the house shows were gonna be during Raw.

They do. They just keep it local now.

2 hours ago, Morganti said:

Second random thought.  Currently for attitude era finishers we have the following.

Stunner- Kevin Owens

Mandible Claw - The fiend

Pedigree - Seth Rollins

Rock bottom - Becky(maybe) she's used it during a promo segment but not a match... Yet.

Does Seth actually still use the pedigree?

Becky beat Asuka with the Rock Bottom. I don't recall her using it otherwise. Hopefully she sticks with it. Its a solid impact finisher and is easier to set up than her pumphandle uranage.

20 hours ago, joseph2112 said:

I always crack up when I see somebody defending older wrestling as "more real" by saying something like "DUDE I do Jiu-Jitsu and the Irish whip is shoot, man! Now I can't bring myself to engage in that highly intellectual discussion, but i always do want to ask that person if they take their turnbuckle bumps on the back or chest style, ala The Hitman.

Well, I don't have strong opinions on the matter, but I will point that "more realistic" doesn't mean "completely realistic". I think it's fair to say pro wrestling has become more stylized and less realistic over the decades. 

I don't do Jiu-Jitsu either, but I took Judo recreationally years ago. One class for warmup the sensei gave us an exercise where we had to try to get everybody else outside of a defined area. I had great success with irish whips. 

21 hours ago, joseph2112 said:

I always crack up when I see somebody defending older wrestling as "more real" by saying something like "DUDE I do Jiu-Jitsu and the Irish whip is shoot, man! Now I can't bring myself to engage in that highly intellectual discussion, but i always do want to ask that person if they take their turnbuckle bumps on the back or chest style, ala The Hitman.

Wasn't the Irish Whip actually an attempt of throwing people out of the ring and the rebounding was a counter to getting thrown out? 

Wrestling hasn't been shoot for a trillion years and from a lot of the moves executed alone everyone in every timeperiod should know. Some 250 pound dude dropping a knee on your sternum from a height of 6-7 feet would severely injure you, multiple closed fists would drop you within seconds. 

It also amazes be how people try to put this "lack of realism" on the same level as penis suplexes or invisible handgrenades though. I'm not even knocking people enjoying those things, everyone should like what they like and it's pointless to argue. But it's still strange to me to put those things on the same level. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Someone just needs to tell him he will the highest paid person there, and also that he was way more over than Hogan in 92. 

And that Trump lifted the travel ban on tall white people in the US

Wasn't that Sid's first excuse for no showing an AIW show?

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

Wasn't the Irish Whip actually an attempt of throwing people out of the ring and the rebounding was a counter to getting thrown out? 

Wrestling hasn't been shoot for a trillion years and from a lot of the moves executed alone everyone in every timeperiod should know. Some 250 pound dude dropping a knee on your sternum from a height of 6-7 feet would severely injure you, multiple closed fists would drop you within seconds. 

It also amazes be how people try to put this "lack of realism" on the same level as penis suplexes or invisible handgrenades though. I'm not even knocking people enjoying those things, everyone should like what they like and it's pointless to argue. But it's still strange to me to put those things on the same level. 

There is nothing more unrealistic in wrestling than someone being in a sleeper for more than about 10 seconds.  If you cut the blood off to the brain for more than about 10 seconds that person is going to pass out...100% of the time.  I watched the Kushida/Adam Cole match from NXT last week and Kushida locks in his kimura and steps over Cole's head, which is the exact right technique.  Here's the problem, from that position he has all the leverage in the world, and Cole has none.  Kushida could have ripped his shoulder out of it's socket and taken it home as a trophy, and Cole couldn't really do anything to stop him.  Of course, Cole drags Kushida's entire body weight to the ropes despite the fact that Kushida could have used a fraction of his strength to destroy his shoulder in a way that could end his career.  If Cole can drag a fully grown man who clearly knows how to apply a kimura to the ropes, why can't someone suplex a man with his penis?  It's just as realistic.

• Like 2

The issue is established norms over time and norms relative from match to match and show to show (and ultimately, year to year). 

Ultimately, you can establish almost anything with enough work and even put the genie back in the bottle but the latter is very hard.

It's why suplex city is so destructive on a narrative level. You can throw out all the norms and rules and it'll be exciting in the moment, but then what?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, supremebve said:

If Cole can drag a fully grown man who clearly knows how to apply a kimura to the ropes, why can't someone suplex a man with his penis?  It's just as realistic.

I don't know why but this is making me laugh and laugh and laugh.  To say this is not your grandfather's rasslin' anymore would be a huge understatement.

He's become unbelievably injury prone for a man who worked forever doing a hard style. Although, most of his injuries have nothing to do with working that style.

Jerry Lawler says WWE may be moving away from heavily scripted promos. They're letting some wrestlers be themselves again on the mic. And bringing back bullets points instead of line by lines thanks to Heyman.

Mostly just for top acts for Raw right now.