DVDVR Message Board

FEB 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

14 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

it felt like in the IWGP Tag division, they would work the same match over and over again against the same tag teams. 

That's been the modus operandi for the NJPW tag division for years.

For what it's worth, one of the best matches I've ever seen live was the KES winning their first NWA tag team championship from the Kingz Of The Underground in Houston.

15 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Didn't Austin take a million German suplexes during the Benoit program? I don't remember seeing any bumps after 98 that could have messed him up worse than that. 

He also took a bunch during his matches with Angle.

Another thing to note about Austin's style change was his bumping style and the moves he could and couldn't take. If you watch pre-neck injury Austin, he would take tombstones, piledrivers and he'd get higher in the air for chokeslams. He did a lot more of the up and down bumping you see from WWE style heels. Post-neck injury, you never saw him take any sort of piledriver type move and Taker and Kane always made sure to set him down fairly gently with chokeslams. 

You gotta hand it too Austin, and co. I never as a fan questioned his health before he completely retired. The guy was excellent at covering everything with smoke, and mirrors during those high periods in the company. He also had excellent cardio for someone with barely working knees.

I’m glad he never came out of retirement. Watching guys like the Undertaker, and Sting try to reclaim something that is unreclaimable is sad to watch when they can’t succeed at it. The closest guy to do it was Steamboat, and that guy was on his last legs of whatever he was capable of.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 6

8 minutes ago, AxB said:

Guessing you didn't watch much of Sting's TNA run. He still had it then.

Oh I did... I’m talking about the WWE run. But honestly 1/4 of that TNA run is worth watching. The other 3/4’s is how much you enjoy the antics of Joker Sting, and the bad matches you have to endure.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Didn’t he take those on his back? I mean that’s not any safer, but it’s not 90’s All Japan Misawa making sure he’ll die in the 2000’s bad.

Upper back/shoulders. That's pretty close to the neck. Germans aren't a flat-back bump. And Benoit had the annoying habit of doing three in a row, extending it to like 10 in one of the Austin matches IIRC. I guess it didn't hurt him enough to break a simple waistlock after 9.

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Didn’t he take those on his back? I mean that’s not any safer, but it’s not 90’s All Japan Misawa making sure he’ll die in the 2000’s bad.

Like this was your typical Benoit German Suplex in the WWE...

German+Suplex+2.gif

He wasn't doing them like that in 2001. They weren't especially stiff, but the flat back variation came later when WWE discouraged high angle suplexes.

Actually watching their RAW match you can see Austin taking it the “safe” way, including Benoit’s patented dropping all the guys weight on his face German.

Also even though that’s a straight wrestling match with minimal brawling, you can see how Austin was able to avoid taking risky moves. The biggest Austin bumps are him taking two Germans, and him being on the offensive side of a superplex. Otherwise he’s on offense, or taking stiff chops, and crossfaces.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Does anyone in WWE regularly do Press Slams? I haven't seen a Press Slam in ages. I mean, obviously it's a steroid era type of move, but still. Nobody does it any more. Therefore if one guy did, he'd get over as the Press Slam Guy.

36 minutes ago, AxB said:

Does anyone in WWE regularly do Press Slams? I haven't seen a Press Slam in ages. I mean, obviously it's a steroid era type of move, but still. Nobody does it any more. Therefore if one guy did, he'd get over as the Press Slam Guy.

I think Bianca Belair does them on occasion but not regularly.  Otherwise no.

10 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I think Bianca Belair does them on occasion but not regularly.  Otherwise no.

How doesn't Brawn Strowman do them? His background is in (failing to qualify for) World's Strongest Man. Plus he's super tall so it would look even more impressive to be overhead pressing dudes. Has the Wrestling world just decided Choke Slams are better?

I mean, they're easier. They might even be safer. But they're commonplace, now. If there's a move that's widely used, and one that never is, someone should use the rare move. Differentiate yourself.

6 minutes ago, AxB said:

How doesn't Brawn Strowman do them? His background is in (failing to qualify for) World's Strongest Man. Plus he's super tall so it would look even more impressive to be overhead pressing dudes. Has the Wrestling world just decided Choke Slams are better?

I mean, they're easier. They might even be safer. But they're commonplace, now. If there's a move that's widely used, and one that never is, someone should use the rare move. Differentiate yourself.

No idea. Maybe its easier on the knees to not do press slams. Honestly the other stff he does makes him stand out pretty well so I think its fine its not one he uses. I say give it to someone who needs it more.

Oh, I remember now who does or used to do press slams, Apollo Crews. He uses/used a press slam standing moonsault combo. We just forget because the poor bastard is so rarely on tv and so rarely wins when he is.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Like this was your typical Benoit German Suplex in the WWE...

German+Suplex+2.gif

They stopped doing the head/neck bump German suplexes with a few exceptions around then. I vaguely remember there being a directive about suplexes so no one was getting dropped on their head. It was probably after someone got hurt.

15 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

Didn't Austin take a million German suplexes during the Benoit program? I don't remember seeing any bumps after 98 that could have messed him up worse than that. 

That entire 2001 util he started working against  the NWO he had his working boots on. Meltzer talks about how excited Rock and Austin were to get to work with Benoit and Eddie and people like that and you can tell they enjoyed working those guys and showing that they can keep up with the work rate. Austin was bumping like a mad man for Angle even in their earlier matches together on RAW. On Prichards Podcast on Austin he talked about at No Way Out 2001 when NWO returned he was giving Jericho Superplexes and rope rope backdrops just to send a message to the NWO that the WWF was big on workrate. He really put it perspective how Austin really pushed himself when he came back in 2000. He definitely could've gotten away with doing less when he came back but I think he was too competitive to no try to keep up with Jericho,  RVD , Angle or Benoit. With Hunter, Booker and Taker he continued to have his typical Attitude era main event matches. Even his matches with Rock was alot faster paced than before the last neck surgery before retiring.

• Like 1