DVDVR Message Board

FEB 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

So Colbert went off and Corden came on, they announced Big Dave was gonna be on so I left the channel there. Cedric the Entertainer pops out of his room in the intro and says he's the height of fashion and all I can think of is "you must not know who is going to appear right after you" haha. 

And of course, Dave looks great -- and surprisingly not as hipsterish as usual. Pics to follow! 

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

They showed video of Leviathan, and Cedric brought up Wrestling at the Chase including Tojo, Dick the Bruiser, and JYD. Dave is wearing an all-black ensemble with stylish semi-motorcycle boots and is sporting the red-tinged glasses this time instead of his typical yellow. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Good for Archer he's going to be a great addition to AEW. I haven't seen as much of his NJPW stuff but I liked him on TNA.

He just had the best year of his career. He was really stellar in the G1. Excellent pickup for AEW.

• Like 3

I've been to the last two Chikara cards, and it is always festive but it has lost some of the magic from years past. I don't "get" the Crucible stuff at all (2 minute, no rope, submission/KO matches) at all. The outstanding workers for me were mostly several of the ladies - Donna Rama, Molly McCoy, Masha Slamovich, as well as some fast learners I dig - Sonny Defarge, Boomer Hatfield, Cornelius Crummels. I am so glad the promotion is still around and want them to succeed.

- RAF

49 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The updated SDL Mania matches are

Goldberg vs Roman Reigns

John Cena vs. Fiend

We will know after today which one is for the title

almost has to be Fiend-Cena title. Cena coming back for that title record makes sense. If Goldberg already beats the Fiend Cena would really have nothing to accomplish, where as if the Fiend is still unbeaten and champion  it makes storyline sense for Cena to come back. 

Otherwise you can have Cena popping up on SDL saying "I'm Next" mic drop and he walks out.  

Edited by paintedbynumbers
adding info

32 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

almost has to be Fiend-Cena title. Cena coming back for that title record makes sense. If Goldberg already beats the Fiend Cena would really have nothing to accomplish, where as if the Fiend is still unbeaten and champion  it makes storyline sense for Cena to come back. 

Otherwise you can have Cena popping up on SDL saying "I'm Next" mic drop and he walks out.  

Not at all. You look down the list of Fiend's opponents/victims, you see a lot of settling old scores (Kane, Balor, Bryan). You can easily do Fiend/Cena without the belt, as the losses to Cena in '14 are a grievance that's gone unanswered. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Not at all. You look down the list of Fiend's opponents/victims, you see a lot of settling old scores (Kane, Balor, Bryan). You can easily do Fiend/Cena without the belt, as the losses to Cena in '14 are a grievance that's gone unanswered. 

it makes sense from Bray's standpoint I agree but why would Cena randomly come back to beat him again? Essentially what does Cena have to gain from a storyline purpose for being gone for over a year just to challenge a guy he's already beaten?

3 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

it makes sense from Bray's standpoint I agree but why would Cena randomly come back to beat him again? Essentially what does Cena have to gain from a storyline purpose for being gone for over a year just to challenge a guy he's already beaten?

If Bray attacks or provokes Cena, do you expect him to just take it?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

If Bray attacks or provokes Cena, do you expect him to just take it?

of course not, but my point is he hasn't done anything to Cena yet and Cena is announced for tomorrow already.  Is he coming to announce a Mania match? Then I can see Wyatt attacking, but I would think the logical reason for him to come back would be to challenge for the title. Either way we are going to get 2 fresh matches in addition to Brock-Drew

I just hope they replay the promo from the Cena vs Rock feud, where Cena castigates Rock for leaving WWE to go and make movies in Hollywood, and says that he (Cena) would never leave WWE and would always be there every week.

• Like 2

On 2/26/2020 at 9:53 AM, Pete said:

Spare a thought for "Crippler" Rip Oliver as word is out that he's been moved into hospice care.

Very sad, for those of us of a certain age he was Portland Wrestling. Godspeed, Mr. Oliver and thanks for all the memories.

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The updated SDL Mania matches are

Goldberg vs Roman Reigns

John Cena vs. Fiend

We will know after today which one is for the title

Both of these are wildly more interesting than the Fiend/Roman match which could easily happen post Wrestlemania anyways. As much as I want the Fiend to stay champ until Wrestlemania he pretty much has to lose the belt to make this happen. Goldberg/Roman doesn't make much sense without the title in play. Cena was one of Bray's biggest failures, and the Fiend is known to gettign revenge on those who wrong Bray so there is no real need for the belt involved though I hope I'm wrong if it happens.

Austin’s work was brought up in the Showdown thread, but I didn’t want to digress too much in there. It’s often repeated by people, including by Stone Cold himself, that he changed his style from technician to brawler after his neck injury.

Objectively I understand that to be the case. He’s clearly working differently from after Summerslam 97. I always think of Austin/HBK at WM 14 where Shawn is hurt too. They’re both so markedly different performers from their KOTR match the previous year that it’s like watching two different guys.

My question is what exactly couldn’t he do post injury that would have necessitated the change in work, and doesn’t it make more sense that the brawling just suited the character, the house style at the time, and his opponents? He spends his first year as champ almost exclusively working with Foley, Taker, and Kane. By the time he’s working with Rock the brawling style is his signature.

Also, by 2001, arguably when he’s close to being completely broken down, he starts pulling out stuff he really hasn’t used in years to keep up with guys like Benoit, Jericho, and Angle. I guess the argument could be made that’s what finished him off, but it’s more likely the brawling and garbage wrestling was what really compacted his injuries. I’ve just always found the notion that he was physically limited weird. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Austin’s work was brought up in the Showdown thread, but I didn’t want to digress too much in there. It’s often repeated by people, including by Stone Cold himself, that he changed his style from technician to brawler after his neck injury.

Objectively I understand that to be the case. He’s clearly working differently from after Summerslam 97. I always think of Austin/HBK at WM 14 where Shawn is hurt too. They’re both so markedly different performers from their KOTR match the previous year that it’s like watching two different guys.

My question is what exactly couldn’t he do post injury that would have necessitated the change in work, and doesn’t it make more sense that the brawling just suited the character, the house style at the time, and his opponents? He spends his first year as champ almost exclusively working with Foley, Taker, and Kane. By the time he’s working with Rock the brawling style is his signature.

Also, by 2001, arguably when he’s close to being completely broken down, he starts pulling out stuff he really hasn’t used in years to keep up with guys like Benoit, Jericho, and Angle. I guess the argument could be made that’s what finished him off, but it’s more likely the brawling and garbage wrestling was what really compacted his injuries. I’ve just always found the notion that he was physically limited weird. 

It was a combo of it being more sensible for the Stone Cold character and working with guys who had certain limitations. From the Dangerous Alliance run to when all of Hogan's guys came in (especially during the Blondes run), he was basically a more agile Arn Anderson which makes sense given he was in a stable with him. Then when he started getting hurt in 94 and had to work with dudes like Duggan, you can sense that he had to figure out a way to work with those guys because they weren't a Ricky Steamboat or a Dustin Rhodes. When he became the Ringmaster, it was all physical, gritty squash matches and he got to do those programs with Savio and Bret. He could switch back between the two seamlessly and sometimes out of necessity. Once he started having these super heated programs, it didn't make sense to be this technician. It wouldn't make sense for him to start a match with a collar and elbow lockup. Neck injuries or no neck injuries, his character demanded something else anyway.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 6

20 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

He just had the best year of his career. He was really stellar in the G1. Excellent pickup for AEW.

I really enjoyed his run since KES ended, he was always good in NJPW but he really stepped it up in the Summer. I follow New Japan the closest except maybe NWA now so I'll kinda miss him in New Japan but he'll be a great big man that can work,  he probably would've gotten a push in WWE but Corbin is the chosen big man and he probably would've been dumbed down by the WWE system. I've been paying more attention to AEW, I may have to start watching 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

I really enjoyed his run since KES ended, he was always good in NJPW but he really stepped it up in the Summer. I follow New Japan the closest except maybe NWA now so I'll kinda miss him in New Japan but he'll be a great big man that can work,  he probably would've gotten a push in WWE but Corbin is the chosen big man and he probably would've been dumbed down by the WWE system. I've been paying more attention to AEW, I may have to start watching 

I am not saying DBS Jr. wasn't capable, but it felt like in the IWGP Tag division, they would work the same match over and over again against the same tag teams. Against smaller guys, he can work fairly well and leverage their bumping and his own athleticism into a good match. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

it felt like in the IWGP Tag division, they would work the same match over and over again against the same tag teams. 

That's been the modus operandi for the NJPW tag division for years.

For what it's worth, one of the best matches I've ever seen live was the KES winning their first NWA tag team championship from the Kingz Of The Underground in Houston.