DVDVR Message Board

FEB 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Matt Riddle's whole stoner gimmick kind of feels to me like he's doing the Simon Pegg/ Seth Rogen deal, where the screen persona is based on the man himself, but it's pretending to be continuing a lifestyle they abandoned already. A lifestyle they only actually lead for like a year and a half, when they were 23 years old, but they're playing like that's who they always will be. Even though they're actually leading the happily married suburban middle aged parent lifestyle now.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Just enter the code JOE for your first packet FREE! That's right, FREE! All you have to do is enter the promo code JOE to fill up with enough blood that your dick bursts like a bratwurst in the microwave.

Thanks, I think I’ll pass on the black pudding with my breakfast today. 

Regarding the AEW overseas travel, I get that Australia is a reach, but I would think with Tony’s connections with ITV for production and with the discerning fan base (I think TNA had their highest attended show in UK) it should be doable to hop over to London for one Dynamite per year. Maybe partner with a local promotion to add a couple of house shows, to @Dewar’s point, get more juice out of the trip and some more reps for the rookies.

• Haha 1

Well, I'm guessing the timing is good now since they can retro it to whenever he was last on TV and do a super quick rebuild of the tag title feud to have KO and he take it off Rollins/Murphy at Mania

3 minutes ago, AxB said:

Matt Riddle's whole stoner gimmick kind of feels to me like he's doing the Simon Pegg/ Seth Rogen deal, where the screen persona is based on the man himself, but it's pretending to be continuing a lifestyle they abandoned already. A lifestyle they only actually lead for like a year and a half, when they were 23 years old, but they're playing like that's who they always will be. Even though they're actually leading the happily married suburban middle aged parent lifestyle now.

Seth Rogen is high nearly every day.

• Like 1

The Bucks and Cody have a working relationship with the guy promoting the International Assault tours in Australia.  They've done about six tours now and routinely put this guy over as the most reliable promoter to work with going around.

They've just recently announced another tour in April with Orange Cassidy and Darby also.

I suspect that would be a contributing factor to whether a tour goes ahead...

• Like 1

Obviously I don't think AEW should become the new TNA and start hiring EVERY guy who manages to get a WWE release, nor do I think it would be smart to hire someone with highly publicized drug issues, but let's just say for the sake of argument that a big name like Joe gets popped three times (not saying he's got a drug problem, just using him as our example here). Does WWE actually go through with the release? It's a much different climate now than it was when they came up with this three strikes rule in '07.

4 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

Probably 95% of the ones I know, I live in California

Honestly, weed is probably the thing that unites the vastly different groups I intersect with throughout my life.  I honestly don't understand how it's still illegal.  Almost everyone I know either smokes weed or doesn't care that people smoke weed.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Honestly, weed is probably the thing that unites the vastly different groups I intersect with throughout my life.  I honestly don't understand how it's still illegal.  Almost everyone I know either smokes weed or doesn't care that people smoke weed.  

Phillip Morris has many lobbists keeping it that way, at least federally.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Phillip Morris has many lobbists keeping it that way, at least federally.

I am neither a smoker nor a stoner, but aren't the, let's call them target groups, of tobacco and weed not completely different?

If I was AEW, I wouldn't hire Joe, but I wouldn't mind seeing him in revamped ROH while also doing NJPW tours. If you could cut out however many years back it was that Joe had his NXT run though and let's say that time was now instead, I would want him to be in AEW and have the NJPW side deal contract in a heartbeat. Joe was in much better shape and the injuries hadn't started to pile up. That's not an option though and even though Joe probably could use a more relaxed schedule and AEW offers that, so does ROH, NJPW, and even Impact. Unless Joe wanted to be an agent/coach and help bring some of the younger, more unseasoned wrestlers along in AEW, then I could see that working out.

Plus, I want Joe vs Ishii at least once. Or Joe vs any number of dudes in NJPW. 

16 minutes ago, Robert s said:

I am neither a smoker nor a stoner, but aren't the, let's call them target groups, of tobacco and weed not completely different?

Yes and No, but the whole thing is money, taxes, market share, and control.  Tobacco is legal, Weed isn't, and Phillip Morris et all make a fucking TON of money on that fact, and so does the Federal Government.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AxB said:

2 hours ago, supremebve said:

This is the exact description of probably 75% of the stoners I know.

*slowly raises hand*

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, stinger12 said:

Question to anyone that has been to Dynamite.   Do they have any signings before the show? Or giveaways to the ringside? Going to show in Newark. Front row. Was wondering 

Usually the day before the show, they tweet something like this:

So if you're following All Elite on social media, you'll get the announcement before the Newark show.

• Like 1