DVDVR Message Board

FEB 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I'm just surprised that people spend such time pointing out Cornette's hypocrisies. As @Elsalvajeloco astutely pointed out, he's basically irrelevant in the world of modern wrestling at this point. Once he got himself fired from his color commentary job on NWA (which worked out great for me personally, as I much prefer Stu Bennett to Jim Cornette on color commentary anyway in 2020), he naturally had nothing left but to lob bombs for cash like, you know, every other fallen carny that eventually washes out of the business. 

I mean, go for it, I don't want to act like it's a bad thing to scrutinize Cornette, but man, does he inflame passions in a way that I would think was beyond his current powers if I didn't see it on this board myself. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mattdangerously said:

Cornette also booked an angle where a Satanic dominatrix and her cult summoned a literal demon from Hell out of the Ohio River. It wasn't presented as someone pretending to be a demon--they aired video of the summoning. This happened in the year 2000. 

But to be fair if you know anything about the Ohio River that scenario is entirely plausible.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

Ramble time: January 9th, 2009. My buddy and I had been off and on going to the local Minneapolis fed, F1rst Wrestling off and on for a few months. Around this time you’d see random CHIKARA guys or legends preforming or at least doing some type of appearance. The main guys at this point happened to be Arik Cannon (who still reps there and is now crazy over with the fans) and Horace The Psychopath( Horace was a bald lunatic with a white fan pant and would go from being violent to rocking back and forth). The two big matches of this show? Arik Cannon vs Jerry Lynn and Horace The Psychopath vs The Sandman.

Arik Cannon and Jerry Lynn put on a really good match. Lots of sunset flips and loud chops. Feel good all around and my buddy and me high fived.

Horace The Psychopath vs The Sandman was a match I will never forget. More memorable than when “Casanova” pulled his wiener out to his pal, during the heel pose down at the end of the show, thinking no one else would see. More memorable than Ariya Daivari insulting the troops and a guy flipping out in the audience to the point of Arik Cannon calming him down. Horace vs Sandman was THE moment of 2009 Minneapolis Indy wrestling. 

Horace The Psychopath’s music hits. He sprints the the ring. The ref is scared and hold onto the ropes. Horace goes to each side of the ring and uncontrollably rocks back and forth. 

Who’s next to the ring? 6% Body Fat Rob James comes out for some reason. He’s been teaming with Horace and they’ve been working the mean heel making the crazy guy think he’s his friend so crazy guy can beat up his enemies gimmick. Oh, and he’s doing that Simon Dean fitness instructor gimmick. He’s warning Horace that Sandman is craaaaazy and will hurt him. Don’t do the match. Horace is confused. Then other heel with hot heel girlfriend I forget the name of, that a show ago I thought was fighting Horace but now they’re cool because why not is also warning Horace that Sandman is Craaaaaaazy. 

Horace turns to the fans. Puts his hands to his ears. Rocks back and forth and does a fist punching motion. Everyone is pumped up for some pumped up pumping action. The crowd chants “Horace! Horace! Horace!” Rob James and other heel are warning him. Saying the F1rst faithful just want to see Horace get hurt. Sandman is just too craaaaazy. 

THE LIGHTS TURN OUT. OH UH. Dun dun ~dun~ DUN dun. Dun da dun dun dun. LIGHTS FLICKERING. Everyone is looking out. Could it be? No? It can’t. Yes, yes it is. Sandman is in the upper level with a beer and a kendo stick at the balcony. Everyone is going absolutely bananas. He drinks the beer, smashes it on his head. Dear lord, First Ave was loud as heck. Makes his way down the stairs and I high fives so many bros. He stands on a chair and pours another beer on himself. I’m givin High fives all around to the people next to me. Maybe a fist bump or two.

Horace is announced. Sandman slides in the ring. Everyone is loud. Other bad guys now run away. Sandman is announced. Bell rings. Sandman is using his kendo stick. Horace loves pain. They go to the outside and Horace is now using chairs. Sandman is wobbling around. The once scared ref is simply sitting on the top turnbuckle. A new ref runs out to reason with the other ref to establish rules. He starts trying to count them out, the old ref turns around the new ref and yells “THIS IS EXTREME!” And punches him. He goes back to the top turnbuckle. 

Sandman and Horace are in the ring. Series of rest hold. Horace is down and Sandman is stumbling around. Very blown out and can barely stand. What was once very loud has slowly quieted down to mere murmurs. It became apparent to everyone that Sandman was extremely drunk. There might have been a chuckle or two but the majority of the audience, myself included, was silently melancholic. Sandman trying to pick Horace up and he falls backwards on his butt like a toddler. Horace helpfully places his head under Sandman’s arm to be put in a headlock. After a series of assisted headlock oriented takedowns, Sandman finds his kendo stick again and hits Horace. Falls on top of him for the pin.

They lay there for a minute or so and everyone is avoiding eye contact. You can tell they are having a conversation ala Rock and Stone Cold after their last Wrestlemania match. 

So, everybody: What was the saddest/ most embarrassing/ highest level of awkward you’ve seen at a wrestling show?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My personal opinion is that I want more aliens (and mummies and time-travelers) if done well and not to excess, and less "I used to be a fan and now I am a wrestler!" or "hey, I watched lots of WoS and strong style tapes, see me fail to integrate the two styles" kickpad dudes but the world has passed me by...

- RAF

• Like 7

3 hours ago, OctopusCinema said:

Ramble time: January 9th, 2009. My buddy and I had been off and on going to the local Minneapolis fed, F1rst Wrestling off and on for a few months. Around this time you’d see random CHIKARA guys or legends preforming or at least doing some type of appearance. The main guys at this point happened to be Arik Cannon (who still reps there and is now crazy over with the fans) and Horace The Psychopath( Horace was a bald lunatic with a white fan pant and would go from being violent to rocking back and forth). The two big matches of this show? Arik Cannon vs Jerry Lynn and Horace The Psychopath vs The Sandman.

Arik Cannon and Jerry Lynn put on a really good match. Lots of sunset flips and loud chops. Feel good all around and my buddy and me high fived.

Horace The Psychopath vs The Sandman was a match I will never forget. More memorable than when “Casanova” pulled his wiener out to his pal, during the heel pose down at the end of the show, thinking no one else would see. More memorable than Ariya Daivari insulting the troops and a guy flipping out in the audience to the point of Arik Cannon calming him down. Horace vs Sandman was THE moment of 2009 Minneapolis Indy wrestling. 

Horace The Psychopath’s music hits. He sprints the the ring. The ref is scared and hold onto the ropes. Horace goes to each side of the ring and uncontrollably rocks back and forth. 

Who’s next to the ring? 6% Body Fat Rob James comes out for some reason. He’s been teaming with Horace and they’ve been working the mean heel making the crazy guy think he’s his friend so crazy guy can beat up his enemies gimmick. Oh, and he’s doing that Simon Dean fitness instructor gimmick. He’s warning Horace that Sandman is craaaaazy and will hurt him. Don’t do the match. Horace is confused. Then other heel with hot heel girlfriend I forget the name of, that a show ago I thought was fighting Horace but now they’re cool because why not is also warning Horace that Sandman is Craaaaaaazy. 

Horace turns to the fans. Puts his hands to his ears. Rocks back and forth and does a fist punching motion. Everyone is pumped up for some pumped up pumping action. The crowd chants “Horace! Horace! Horace!” Rob James and other heel are warning him. Saying the F1rst faithful just want to see Horace get hurt. Sandman is just too craaaaazy. 

THE LIGHTS TURN OUT. OH UH. Dun dun ~dun~ DUN dun. Dun da dun dun dun. LIGHTS FLICKERING. Everyone is looking out. Could it be? No? It can’t. Yes, yes it is. Sandman is in the upper level with a beer and a kendo stick at the balcony. Everyone is going absolutely bananas. He drinks the beer, smashes it on his head. Dear lord, First Ave was loud as heck. Makes his way down the stairs and I high fives so many bros. He stands on a chair and pours another beer on himself. I’m givin High fives all around to the people next to me. Maybe a fist bump or two.

Horace is announced. Sandman slides in the ring. Everyone is loud. Other bad guys now run away. Sandman is announced. Bell rings. Sandman is using his kendo stick. Horace loves pain. They go to the outside and Horace is now using chairs. Sandman is wobbling around. The once scared ref is simply sitting on the top turnbuckle. A new ref runs out to reason with the other ref to establish rules. He starts trying to count them out, the old ref turns around the new ref and yells “THIS IS EXTREME!” And punches him. He goes back to the top turnbuckle. 

Sandman and Horace are in the ring. Series of rest hold. Horace is down and Sandman is stumbling around. Very blown out and can barely stand. What was once very loud has slowly quieted down to mere murmurs. It became apparent to everyone that Sandman was extremely drunk. There might have been a chuckle or two but the majority of the audience, myself included, was silently melancholic. Sandman trying to pick Horace up and he falls backwards on his butt like a toddler. Horace helpfully places his head under Sandman’s arm to be put in a headlock. After a series of assisted headlock oriented takedowns, Sandman finds his kendo stick again and hits Horace. Falls on top of him for the pin.

They lay there for a minute or so and everyone is avoiding eye contact. You can tell they are having a conversation ala Rock and Stone Cold after their last Wrestlemania match. 

So, everybody: What was the saddest/ most embarrassing/ highest level of awkward you’ve seen at a wrestling show?

Can't we just say either Jake or Scott?

9 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Sabian has a look, but I don’t think he has enough to set himself apart yet. He has the issue that AEW has another version of him in Sammy Guevara. And even though he was booked to go over him in the first match in company history, Sammy still came away from that match looking like he had more to him than just a look, unlike Sabian. I think Kip needs a refresh to set himself apart. Something that utilizes his good looks, but isn’t a retread of somebody else on the roster.

Janela... Boy, Janela. Janela does way too much in the ring. He can do things that other people do on the roster, but nowhere near as well. He’s like Jimmy Garvin, and I like Jimmy, but Jimmy was the lesser of everybody else when booked as a solo act. I’m glad they stopped booking him with other top guys for now. He had no business going over Rey Fenix awhile back ago, and he really shouldn’t be a face.

I really want AEW to do their version of Worldwide Underground- Kip, TH2, and Penelope could really do it well, not sure if you'd need to add someone else or not.

Bryan Alvarez has become another guy people meme’d into being a monument of smark opinions. 

My advice right now about podcast opinions on wrestling... I used to enjoy listening, and reading recaps of stuff I didn’t watch, but it got to a point where I found it upsetting because it felt predatory how they would encourage disgruntled viewings of these programs on its listeners. So I quit that shit, because why the fuck would I read about shows I don’t want to watch? I mean sometimes you can’t avoid it because it’ll be the topic of the day, but I’m trying even more than ever in the past week, or two to avoid it because I don’t want to be a visible crank online, or in public. I’ll sometimes slip up, but I’ll try to reel it in as best as I can.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

So AEW has one more Dynamite before the Revolution PPV on Saturday, but then it's a three month build to Double or Nothing. Meanwhile once WWE gets that Saudi abomination out of the way and does the German toilet PPV*, they're right into serious 'bring back legends' Mania build. So, how many weeks in there will NXT beat Dynamite, do you reckon?

* Elimination Chamber. 

12 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Cornette also booked an angle where a Satanic dominatrix and her cult summoned a literal demon from Hell out of the Ohio River. It wasn't presented as someone pretending to be a demon--they aired video of the summoning. This happened in the year 2000. 

The Ohio River runs through Hell, everybody knows that.

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

My personal opinion is that I want more aliens (and mummies and time-travelers) if done well and not to excess, and less "I used to be a fan and now I am a wrestler!" or "hey, I watched lots of WoS and strong style tapes, see me fail to integrate the two styles" kickpad dudes but the world has passed me by...

- RAF

The World of wrestling will always need Thee Reverend Axl Future and OSJ just to keep it ridiculous.

• Like 3

Can I bitch about one last Corny thing that really grinded my gears?

He said that Justin Roberts looked like someone who "shouldn't be alone around kids" after sharing a haha funny story about his buddy and noted child rapist Grizzly Smith. 

One thing I value and respect is consistency. I guess that's why alot of this Cornette stuff bothers me, because I really love his recounts and stories and memories of his career.

12 hours ago, sabremike said:

But to be fair if you know anything about the Ohio River that scenario is entirely plausible.

I was about to post the same thing! A Satanic Demon might not be the weirdest thing I’ve seen come out of there. 

14 hours ago, OctopusCinema said:

Ramble time: ...

For you, it was THE moment of 2009 Minneapolis wrestling...but for The Sandman, it was Tuesday...

Edited by Dolfan in NYC
EDIT QUOTE BOXES.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2