DVDVR Message Board

FEB 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I caught most of the end of Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man on TV awhile back. Entertaining trash and VERY late '80s/early '90s action fare. Mickey Rourke's face hadn't been turned into a catcher's mitt from boxing yet and Tom Sizemore was the main villain instead of the villain's henchman. Didn't catch Studd but I did get to see Giancarlo get blown away. 

EDIT: Actually, shit, I did see Studd, I just didn't know it was him! Reading that reminded me that he had the innovative name of Jack Daniels. Yeah, lots of product placement in that movie. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

5 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I wish I could remember who said it, maybe it was Chuck Taylor, but someone said "Do you think backyard wrestling is just kids rolling around doing MMA moves now?"

when i did some backyard wrestling in high school, it was a mixture of pro wres and jiu jitsu. like, we'd hit each other with chairs and go through flaming tables, but we'd also make each other tap to armbars and chokes. it was a lot of fun.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Morganti said:

Jesus hung with the pimps and whores. 

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

That makes two of us.

Seeing these two posts next to each other, I didn't realise at first that the second wasn't actually replying to the first.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Or that he walked away like this.

KotR '93 is legit one of my four favorite PPVs. I taped this onto a blank tape back in late 1993 and watched it incessantly.

Perfect hitting Hughes's shoulder with that towel exactly right still gets one of the biggest pops from me, right along with Bret taking that bump off the apron in the Perfect match, Hogan getting flash paper a trick camera flash right to the eyes, and the two Doinks laughing at Crush's dumb ass .

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, AxB said:

Seeing these two posts next to each other, I didn't realise at first that the second wasn't actually replying to the first.

I've told one story today, the one about accidentally hanging out with a pimp in Vegas is for another day.  It's a 100% true story that turned out about as good as possible.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, twiztor said:

when i did some backyard wrestling in high school, it was a mixture of pro wres and jiu jitsu. like, we'd hit each other with chairs and go through flaming tables, but we'd also make each other tap to armbars and chokes. it was a lot of fun.

You guys were ahead of your time man.We had one kid who was like maybe a little too old to be doing it in retrospect, but anyway he had either tried going to wrestling school or taken a couple classes, I can't remember, and he taught the rest of us super basic chain wrestling. Other than that it was everything you described. I was kinda fat but really athletic so I was very stupidly the jump off high stuff guy a lot of the time. It's hilarious to think of multiple "cards" where 15 teenagers in basketball shorts do the exact. same. sequence. in every single match.

49 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I've told one story today, the one about accidentally hanging out with a pimp in Vegas is for another day.  It's a 100% true story that turned out about as good as possible.

Was he named Slickback?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Was he named Slickback?

His name was "A Pimp Named Slickback," and insisted you say the entire thing like "A Tribe Called Quest."

Honestly, I don't remember his name, but it was something mundane like Rob.  He was off the clock, so maybe he used his civilian name.

7 hours ago, supremebve said:

OK, here's a quick story about my first day in judo class.  The class was set up so the first hour was instructional and the second hour was all rolling.  The first hour I learned how to break fall and we ran through the o goshi, and a kesa gatame.  It was basically enough instruction that allowed me not to die during sparring.  So the second hour starts and everyone is being super light with me, and kind of walking me through things as we go...except for this 130 lb. dude named Rohan.  At the time, I'm 19 about 190 lbs. and in very good shape, and this 130 lb. dude is literally throwing me around the gym.  He is unleashing his entire arsenal of throws and I'm getting fucked up, because until I got matched up with him I'd done maybe 15 break falls.  So, there is a judo throw where you put your foot on your opponent's hip, and roll back which allows you to throw your opponent head over heels.  Rohan, who is a yellow belt, which is much better than a day one noob, but is only one promotion above white belt, tries this throw on me.  When he kicks his leg up, I grab it before his foot gets to my hip.  I pull his head down with his gi, reach around his head, lock my hands and hit that punk bitch with a perfectplex.  That dude was an asshole, and taking advantage of the fact that I didn't know enough to defend myself.  Sending him on that ride is one of the most satisfying feelings of my entire life.  I will take your word for your schoolyard vertical suplex, but I'm skeptical...but I know for a fact you can hit a fisherman suplex.  

I had a lethal belly-to-belly overhead in a shoot fight once in high school. Kid came charging at me, I bearhugged him. I've been strong for my age since I'm 13. I didn't earn it, I just come from a line of ridiculously strong people. I'm 6'3 and built like Rhyno. I'm mostly torso. Kid kept struggling, so I threw my hips out and threw myself at the ground and exploded through. Let him go when he was parallel above me. He flew. My friends swore for a long time after that that he levitated. I was just irritated bc TRL was on and this kid was cutting into my Carson Daly time.

1 minute ago, just drew said:

I had a lethal belly-to-belly overhead in a shoot fight once in high school. Kid came charging at me, I bearhugged him. I've been strong for my age since I'm 13. I didn't earn it, I just come from a line of ridiculously strong people. I'm 6'3 and built like Rhyno. I'm mostly torso. Kid kept struggling, so I threw my hips out and threw myself at the ground and exploded through. Let him go when he was parallel above me. He flew. My friends swore for a long time after that that he levitated. I was just irritated bc TRL was on and this kid was cutting into my Carson Daly time.

Tall with a low center of gravity is probably the best body type to be able to suplex a person.  I have naturally really strong legs, I was squatting 225 lbs. as a 90 lb. 8th grader, but I'm only 5'7" (squatting that much as an 8th grader, may or may not have something to do with that).  I've been able to do a pretty good overhead belly-to-belly into a pool since I was a preteen.  It's always been easy for me to get my center of gravity below someone else's, but it's really difficult to throw someone like that if they're taller than you.  There's just only so far I can extend to build the momentum I need to get someone to go head over heels.  

• Like 1

So... it's Friday night, and I'm living the bachelor life and watching some old SuperBrawl (Because i'm legit cool... and almost 40 and too grumpy to go out)... and it's Terrance Taylor vs Dustin Rhodes. Duthty and Jimbo are essentially hyping up The York Foundation as using sabremetics almost a decade before it became common place. It's pretty awesome.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, just drew said:

I was loving this story, but the ending ruined it.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 3
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, just drew said:

Mandy Moore FTW.

• Haha 1

Pro wrestling can be compared to performance art, but it is a facile comparison. Any performance can be named "performance art" because it itself is so broadly defined. There are similarities but pro wrestling is not fine art as it is created    strictly for a monetary transaction; nor is rassling a sport, but it certainly exists in a Venn diagram of these two poles, created by a nerd who has to define and pigeonhole everything.

- sui generis,

RAF

• Like 5