DVDVR Message Board

FEB 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

7 hours ago, A Guy Named Tracy said:

He may blame himself for being out of position, however that’s completely different than “Hey Joe, I want you to make the muscle buster look extra devastating on me.” 

Teddy Hart in an interview with Cris Van Vlient a year or so ago put the blame on someone else like an agent. He didn't want to name the person but he didn't like how the whole thing was handled and it wasn't Joe's fault. Sure its Teddy Hart but he's close enough to both TJ and Nattie to have all the details surrounding the injury  but the probably have jobs for life at this point so we'll probably never know unless Bret knows the details too and we know he has no filter regarding WWE.

What is the lineage of The Flippiest Guy?

Not "best flipper". Not "Wrestling Observer 'Best High Flyer' Winner". Specifically "flippiest guy". I've been trying to figure it out but the early days are disputable and the modern lineage of the "title" moves so fast...

??? -> Mando Guerrero invents the moonsault -> ??? -> Liger/Yamada invents the SSP -> 2 Cold Scorpio does the 450 a lot ->  Did Rey Mysterio really flip enough??? -> I download clips of Dragon Kid's Dragonrana on realplayer -> Jack Evans does a double moonsault off a cage -> Yoshitsune happens for a week -> ??? -> Maybe we're just gonna stop at Ricochet

I know I don't have the right pieces in the right order but I think right order is out there.

Not a floppy dude,but Snuka probably has the be in there. And probably Sayama and Rocco.

According to Cornette, he says Ricky Gibson was the first person he saw do a missile drop kick in 1975. 

Edited by odessasteps

20 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Not a floppy dude,but Snuka probably has the be in there. And probably Sayama and Rocco.

According to Cornette, he says Ricky Gibson was the first person he saw do a missile drop kick in 1975. 

Ricky Gibson? From 4 Minutes of Heat (with Eddie Pearl)? That can't be right, I'm sure one of the Rock n Roll Express did it first.

I've never seen a 4 Minutes of Heat match, but @rockingrickyg started randomly following me on Twitter, so I followed back. Seems a nice guy.

Wait, never mind, they have a highlights package:

Warning: In this video there are not one but TWO of those "Force a wrestler to DDT his partner spots", only not with a DDT. With a Canadian Destroyer instead. Force a Wrestler to Canadian Destroy his partner.

19 minutes ago, AxB said:

Ricky Gibson? From 4 Minutes of Heat (with Eddie Pearl)? That can't be right, I'm sure one of the Rock n Roll Express did it first.

I've never seen a 4 Minutes of Heat match, but @rockingrickyg started randomly following me on Twitter, so I followed back. Seems a nice guy.

Warning: In this video there are not one but TWO of those "Force a wrestler to DDT his partner spots", only not with a DDT. With a Canadian Destroyer instead. Force a Wrestler to Canadian Destroy his partner.

Gotta get creative with your overused moves.

The problem with "flippiest guy" is that a lot of the most resonating flippy guys are the ones who had some steak to the sizzle and could put on a very good wrestling match. 

Much like how a good technical wrestler does not necessarily make you a Johnny Kickpads wrestler, being a good high flier does not necessarily make you a flippy guy. The true flippiest guy would be someone who does lots of flips and doesn't know a wristlock from a wristwatch. 

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Ricky Gibson, as in Robert Gibson's older brother, not the fellow shown above, since Robert's brother passed away years ago. 

Edited by odessasteps

3 hours ago, AxB said:

There's guys who do strongman feats who pull cars with their cocks. Not to mention the bodypiercing weightlifting thing like in the Jim Rose Circus.

Like others, I read this as "Jim Ross".

And with that...

3 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I'd love to hear JR give that his "this guy has a real athletics background" sell. 

Yes.

Edited by PetrolCB

6 hours ago, odessasteps said:

That isn’t right. I remember waking up way in the morning on Saturday’s to watch Classic Sports re-air old matches from the late 50’s/early 60’s, and dropkicks were pretty common. Hell my favorite dude from those shows was Larry Chene. Who’s big move was essentially hopping over the ref while using him as leverage to dropkick his opponent. 

I have this feeling that Cornette for all his love for old wrestling is going to manipulate facts from back then to try to win online arguments for... I want to say “no reward”, but sadly he’s getting rewarded for this asshole-ish behavior.

It should be noted, since this is already being framed as "God DAMN that Cornette," that him saying that was the first missile dropkick he ever saw isn't the same thing as him saying it was the first missile dropkick to ever take place.

• Like 3

Okay where is the actual quote from? Because I’m looking for it, and all I can find is an article about Young Bucks, and dropkicks. With Cornette saying Ric Flair & Ricky Steamboat “never exposed” the biz. Which is funny because Flair would be considered by a lot of people back then as a “clown” for all his chicken shitting, and pratfalls.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I just read that Chris Bey(The wrestler Cody has been scouting) had actually been signed by Impact since 2019, and wasn’t just recently signed by Impact. Is that confirmed anywhere?

He had done shows for them previously, yes. But like with most people over the last couple of years, Impact would bring them in just for that set of tapings. No one was on "exclusive" deals.

Basically going back all the way to Nov 2018 - when Impact taped in Vegas they would bring him in as "enhancement" talent

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AxB said:

There's guys who do strongman feats who pull cars with their cocks. Not to mention the bodypiercing weightlifting thing like in the Jim Rose Circus.

In, I want to say 95, I saw a triple bill of Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson, and the Jim Rose Circus Sideshow.  We were on the floor, maybe 30 feet from the stage.  A dude in front of us puked during one of the Sideshow's acts.  That's when you know it's such good shit pal.

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I remember my dad would always tease me when I was a kid by telling me “These guys are punching each other in the face, and they don’t bleed, or get knocked out”. I would get so pissed at him for that.

Same!  My dad, a huge boxing fan, would always scoff at the 10 punch in the corner. 

Edited by Technico Support

It's the same with anything else. If in Avengers: Endgame Captain America started shooting lasers out of his eyes then it might not be any less "realistic" than him being able to boomerang his shield but it would be against established norms. 

• Like 2