DVDVR Message Board

FEB 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

4 hours ago, tbarrie said:

I'm not sure what incident this paragraph is referring to, but irish whips totally work in real life. It's only the bouncing off the ropes and continuing to run uncontrollably part that's absurd.

I always crack up when I see somebody defending older wrestling as "more real" by saying something like "DUDE I do Jiu-Jitsu and the Irish whip is shoot, man! Now I can't bring myself to engage in that highly intellectual discussion, but i always do want to ask that person if they take their turnbuckle bumps on the back or chest style, ala The Hitman.

11 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

You guys do realize the reason people turn around on the Irish Whip is because it’s a human instinctual defensive maneuver to avoid taking it on the front, and recking your face, or chest?

There are magnets in the turnbuckles and the act of whipping reverses the polarity so that the iron in your body flips around.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Generally when a human is about to hit something face or chest first, they put their arms out and try to cushion the centre of their body. Except my nephew, who was a spoilt baby. He never learned to crawl before he could walk, because he'd point at things and expect them to be brought to him. True story. So when as a toddler he overbalanced, rather than drop to all fours (if falling forwards) and dropping to a seated position (if falling backwards) he'd stiffen up and fall like a plank, smacking his head into the floor every time.

Now he's a teenager, he's... not academically gifted, shall we say.

• Haha 4

19 hours ago, Hoarr said:

So, I came across this the other morning and the name of Harlem Heat caught my attention. Never heard the term Ebony Nightmares until then:

Cross checking with the ad that ran in WCW Magazine, I noticed another detail that I never noticed... the fact that Booker and Stevie are in jumpsuits and chains:

Ebony Nightmares and the chains/jumpsuits was the original gimmick entering WCW but some quickly realized "Yeah... if we are going to have a guy who is basically a white plantation owner managing them, this might not be the best look"

They are called Ebony Nightmares a couple of random times in the WON right when they were starting so I am assuming marketing materials (like the poster you shared) was done before folks thought better of it.

I think - THINK - this all came out in the legal documents when folks were suing WCW for being racists but I am not sure if any promo shoots exist.

48 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Yeah, if you want to fuck up your wrist. I’m still young-ish. So I can take it from behind all day.

My wrists are stronger. That's how I got my forearms so big. Wrist curls. 3 sets of ten at 25 kilos. Then three sets of ten reverse wrist curls at 12.5 kilos.

But I just bought more weights this week, so I can do 30 kilo wrist curls now.

32 minutes ago, AxB said:

My wrists are stronger. That's how I got my forearms so big. Wrist curls. 3 sets of ten at 25 kilos. Then three sets of ten reverse wrist curls at 12.5 kilos.

But I just bought more weights this week, so I can do 30 kilo wrist curls now.

ad_177353078.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&zo

; ).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Ebony Nightmares and the chains/jumpsuits was the original gimmick entering WCW but some quickly realized "Yeah... if we are going to have a guy who is basically a white plantation owner managing them, this might not be the best look"

They are called Ebony Nightmares a couple of random times in the WON right when they were starting so I am assuming marketing materials (like the poster you shared) was done before folks thought better of it.

I think - THINK - this all came out in the legal documents when folks were suing WCW for being racists but I am not sure if any promo shoots exist.

I could've sworn that I read that they wore the jumpsuits at a Pro/Worldwide taping but the match didn't air.

• Thanks 1

This is the link to the 2048-wrestler tournament I mentioned earlier. If anyone is interested in participating, go ahead and request to join.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/135912000964202/?hc_ref=ARS3Os26pSnQlDmkNeuMwE74S5253hPdwhHQ1JSI76ozC4eLnZW5okazHvr4I8JfDpE&fref=gs&dti=135912000964202&hc_location=group

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

This is the link to the 2048-wrestler tournament I mentioned earlier. If anyone is interested in participating, go ahead and request to join.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/135912000964202/?hc_ref=ARS3Os26pSnQlDmkNeuMwE74S5253hPdwhHQ1JSI76ozC4eLnZW5okazHvr4I8JfDpE&fref=gs&dti=135912000964202&hc_location=group

Didn't see your original post about the tournament, found it and just sent you an invite. Cheers mate.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Can only assume that someone in marketing went "yes, yes, yes..."  and then someone else in marketing went "no, no, no..." and then someone else in marketing went "yes, yes, yes.." and then someone else in marketing finally went "no, no, no.."

And that's the story of how the greatest theme song in professional wrestling history was written.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

Sure, I'll give it a shot.  Just sent the request.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2020 at 10:23 AM, Ziggy said:

Why don't they just group all the Legends and Part timers and send them all the Columbia and get the Stemcell treatments Nash and Ryback been getting done for a year or so, they can regenerate back 15-20 years and book a ton of dream matches for the Saudi shows and Manias.

I'm only half joking

Oh shit now I'm envisioning the Saudis funding some black market regeneration clinic on a remote island like in Die Another Day.  We're about a year out from either having an amazing over 60 wrestling promotion or a reformed, rejuvenated NWO literally seeking world domination.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My favorite thing about Irish Whips and running the ropes in general is that it looks incredibly fun.  Especially when you are younger.

But the first time you do it properly in a ring it really sucks, particularly if it’s cable ropes.  Stupid “ropes.“

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Infinit said:

I could've sworn that I read that they wore the jumpsuits at a Pro/Worldwide taping but the match didn't air.

Footage of a match of them wearing jumpsuits aired overseas. You can find traces of it online but the WWE has taken the links down. A recent thing on the Network cut to a two second clip of Booker and Stevie in the ring wearing the blue jumpsuits but nothing with chains or Rob Parker.

• Thanks 1

From the Observer at the time

An almost but-not-quite debut of a new tag team called The Possee (formerly the Ebony Experience in GWF) managed by Col. Rob Parker. 

The original idea was for The Possee to be brought out in chains and shackles, to give the visual impression of a white southerner leading two black men in chains and shackles. The idea, which was the brainchild of one Sid Vicious who was so impressed when working with the duo in a tag team match at the Adkisson Memorial show in Dallas on 4/2, had wanted to bring the duo in with the gimmick of them being escaped murderers managed by Parker (Robert Fuller). 

The idea was all dressed up and ready to go on television when Eric Bischoff, who apparently didn't know the extent of the angle, nixed it just as it was about to be taped. When WCW President Bill Shaw found out about the idea which almost ran, which no doubt would have caused even more negative phone calls, he found a finger-pointing upper brass all trying to blame others for giving the approval of the idea. 

While Booker T and Stevie Ray are going to keep their jobs with WCW, when they appeared at the television tapings Monday night, they were instead called Chitown Heat (yeah, I know the punch line, they're bringing in the Power Twins as Music City Showdown and renaming The Black Hearts "Halloween Havoc") and had masking tape over their prisoner uniform numbers and they will no longer be pushed as former prisoners.

Oh Sid 

• Haha 3

Random thought i had.  I miss when they would tell you where the house shows were gonna be during Raw.

Second random thought.  Currently for attitude era finishers we have the following.

Stunner- Kevin Owens

Mandible Claw - The fiend

Pedigree - Seth Rollins

Rock bottom - Becky(maybe) she's used it during a promo segment but not a match... Yet.

Any more of them in use? Specifically non attitude era wrestlers using them in WWE.

Edited by Morganti