DVDVR Message Board

FEB 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

So, I came across this the other morning and the name of Harlem Heat caught my attention. Never heard the term Ebony Nightmares until then:

1715e0694a72bca52b7d9c9560b8661339ba78ae

Cross checking with the ad that ran in WCW Magazine, I noticed another detail that I never noticed... the fact that Booker and Stevie are in jumpsuits and chains:

tumblr_n69b2gucMW1sg99p0o1_500.png

So... who has ever seen the full promo pics of the Chain Gang version of Harlem Heat? The magazines I have from that era don’t show this version of them, even the ones that still call them Kane and Kole. The only first promo pics I’ve seen are the ones from this 1993 shoot:

tumblr_mzfcoyqt0o1sg99p0o1_500.jpg

Anybody out there have the Chain Gang pics?

14 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Nobody in America knows this except for people of Irish descent. This does not get taught in school. UK history, when taught, is very England-centric. 

I didn't really know much about the U.S. actually doing something useful in foreign policy by brokering the Good Friday Agreement until two years ago, maybe, because of following all the Brexit news, and that happened in my lifetime when I should have been cognizant of it. 

But if anyone wants to learn more, I have some good book suggestions. 

I was taught about The Troubles in 9th grade History... back in 1993/1994

44 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

Man, wait until Tenryu's dick implant doctor gives those details

It was constantly spitting.

You know somebody brought up Glacier debuting on WCW Pro of all places. But as bad as that sounds, honestly why wouldn’t that be considered a good thing? I mean this is a smaller show that you want to bring eyeballs to. Putting a debut of a hyped act in a squash would be a good start to someone you like, but aren’t ready to do anything yet with. That’s also the best use of a squash. These big companies have forgotten that the secondary shows could be of great use if you make an episode or two special every once in awhile.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

It was constantly spitting.

You know somebody brought up Glacier debuting on WCW Pro of all places. But as bad as that sounds, honestly why wouldn’t that be considered a good thing? I mean this is a smaller show that you want to bring eyeballs to. Putting a debut of a hyped act in a squash would be a good start to someone you like, but aren’t ready to do anything yet with. That’s also the best use of a squash. These big companies have forgotten that the secondary shows could be of great use if you make an episode or two special every once in awhile.

It also gave them a chance to work out the entrance logistics and do a test run to see how it looks on screen, before going live in front of a large audience.

11 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

I guess the big question is: Did WCW actually promote the Glacier debut on Pro before it happened, or did they just throw him out there cold (thanks for reading, folks) after months of vignettes?

I swear I remember them announcing it on one of there programs(It might’ve been Saturday Night), and it led me to watching it.

But I’m not saying that they did it right. I’m saying if you got a smaller show, why not put the act that you know needs a good clean debut, on the show that might need some attention, and you hype it up. That should’ve been done more often.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

Glacier's debut was actually at an Disney/MGM taping. I wonder how far advance the taping was from the air date.

In those days World Wide and Pro always pushing next week's show, so I'm guessing there was at least a week build up to the debut.

34 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

But I’m not saying that they did it right. I’m saying if you got a smaller show, why not put the act that you know needs a good clean debut, on the show that might need some attention, and you hype it up. That should’ve been done more often.

It still should. WWE has Main Event still that they've been doing nothing with since its debut. 

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Okada Vs. Tanahashi referenced on a prime time TV sitcom. I’m crying my puro loving heart out.

Fuck, seeing that plus Okada thanking them is completely blowing my mind. And yes I immediately DVRed the show as if they're mentioning them then it's well worth me watching. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

It still should. WWE has Main Event still that they've been doing nothing with since its debut. 

Well the thing about Main Event is that it isn’t on US TV anymore(or its in markets I don’t know about) and Vince might not see the importance to do that just for international markets. AEW Dark, or whatever it’s called on TV might have that chance.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Eve Torres says she was groped by Trump in 2009.

I hate the orange turd as much as anybody, but "groped" isn't entirely accurate. She's saying he aggressively pulled her close to pose for a picture. Still a dickish thing to do, but not on the level of the other things he's done to women.

Edited by mattdangerously
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

How do you throw a person while pulling on their arm to spin them around so you can hit them with your other arm? Did the kid accidentally get Irish Whipped? Irish Whips aren't supposed to work in real life. 

It's a tv show, so it's not real life. Wrestling rules would still apply.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

How do you throw a person while pulling on their arm to spin them around so you can hit them with your other arm? Did the kid accidentally get Irish Whipped? Irish Whips aren't supposed to work in real life. 

I'm not sure what incident this paragraph is referring to, but irish whips totally work in real life. It's only the bouncing off the ropes and continuing to run uncontrollably part that's absurd.

• Like 1