DVDVR Message Board

FEB 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

It’s a smart grift. No fight training camps, less dangerous worked environment, and he only has to come in for one match, or two. Pro wrestling is the easiest grift for pro athletes as long as you aren’t convinced to be a regular. Brock currently has the best of both worlds. He left before his prime, and came back without his body already being broken down, and now he’s the top guy again, with his demands are always being met even if he still comes in for more than one match a year.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Tito Ortiz is at the PC. He's going to have to do a lot of work in promo class.

If he just keeps his MMA gimmick of losing all the time and then making excuses about how he broke every bone in his body in training and had no business even stepping into the ring on the night... And then gets upset that they're booing him and said he only fought because he loves the fans so much and he wanted to compete as a way to show his love for them... And when that makes them boo more, say that he's dedicating the fight to the troops stationed overseas who are defending American Freedom! C'mon everybody, USA! USA! and still get booed because the pandering is so blatantly obvious. If he does that, that's a pretty good heel promo.

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

On 2/14/2020 at 6:51 PM, Zakk_Sabbath said:

It's been 1000 years since I've read his first book so I may be misremembering but I really could've sworn there was a whole passage about him being there for a time and staying at Ron Fuller's house

What, you don't remember the story about Fuller in the toilet doing play by play? "I think that time it was my heart..."

I can't remember whether he was shitting or puking.

• Haha 1

Oh, and here's that ECW match

EDIT: It's funny, Eddy blows the same rana that they blow in his famous match with Love Machine against Santito and Octagon IIRC. Poor Scorpio gets the "you fucked up", at least Eddy's looked better because Dean went face first into the mat. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I don't know if Mick Foley would translate to any company across time as much as I love him. That sort of distinction is reserved for the elite of the elite. 

I'd actually put Mick Foley in the elite of the elite.  He's unorthodox, but Foley has a long ass career full of good to great matches, outstanding promos, and the ability to get almost anything over.  That's extremely rare.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Brock currently has the best of both worlds. He left before his prime, and came back without his body already being broken down, and now he’s the top guy again

Also, he beat McMahon in court which is the only real way to earn his respect 

28 minutes ago, BurningBeard said:

Also, he beat McMahon in court which is the only real way to earn his respect 

Well, and he had a very brief but extremely successful MMA. Also while Brock is an anti-social dick, people gravitate towards him, and leech off his charismatic bad attitude. Which are types that Vince likes(not all, but I think Brock has the one he likes).

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

I'd actually put Mick Foley in the elite of the elite.  He's unorthodox, but Foley has a long ass career full of good to great matches, outstanding promos, and the ability to get almost anything over.  That's extremely rare.  

He's on that borderline for me; I could see him being a wild brawler in Mexico, he was versatile enough to work deathmatches in Japan, he can do comedy or horror or seriousness, and I see the argument for him. 

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I am amused that if rumors are correct - one of the longest running current WWE storylines will be John Cena vs. Elias

Dave saying he knew who the match was going to be but couldn't say and Alvarez guessed it right away and poor Dave had to try and get through it without flat out telling him he was correct was hilarious.

Edited by sabremike

On 2/15/2020 at 10:40 AM, Ziggy said:

I wish Savage never left WWF because he probably would've been at least Simi regular in the ring by the time the Monday night wars started heating up 

One of the reasons he left in the first place was because Vince thought he was too old for the direction the WWF was heading towards during the New Generation phase.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mattdangerously said:

One of the reasons he left in the first place was because Vince thought he was too old for the direction the WWF was heading towards during the New Generation phase.

He was so great on commentary on those early Raws I would have loved to have seen him do commentary again post WCW buyout. That was literally my first exposure to pro wrestling so I'm biased. 

Savage was alright as the face color guy, but wouldn’t he have been better if slowly morphed into a heel color instead? I bet you if Lawler wasn’t hired, and with Heenan gone that would’ve happened. Just think about it. Savage’s strange vocabulary always expanded several pages as a heel. He could’ve potentially eclipsed Ventura as the all time great.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Well, and he had a very brief but extremely successful MMA. Also while Brock is an anti-social dick, people gravitate towards him, and leech off his charismatic bad attitude. Which are types that Vince likes(not all, but I think Brock has the one he likes).

I don't know that he's a dick more so he just likes to be alone. He grew up working on the farm and has a decent work ethic. I'm not the biggest fan of Brock by any means but there isn't a single person who would turn down the money he is offered to do so little.  I compare Brock to Matt Hughes. Neither one really wants to be around people and I wouldn't want to piss off either.    Brock did buy beer for everyone though during the cancelled raw a couple years ago so he does have a heart. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

I compare Brock to Matt Hughes. Neither one really wants to be around people and I wouldn't want to piss off either. 

Matt Hughes is a psychopath.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Brock is also a guy who sees wrestling as his job. It’s not his childhood dream or whatever. He tries to make his situation/pay the best he can get. Good for him. It’s an industry that chews people up and spits them out. If you can get your’s while you can, good for you.