DVDVR Message Board

FEB 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

1 minute ago, Six String Orchestra said:

Count me in the group that prefers Goldberg vs Reigns. Seems far more interesting. No idea what The Fiend does but then again I wouldn't miss him if he wasn't on the card. Styles vs Taker is intriguing but so is Bryan vs Taker.

I think McIntyre-Lesnar, Orton-Edge, Reigns-Goldberg, and Ripley-Flair would be a solid card. Something for everyone. 

I don't watch Raw or Smackdown, so I didn't even see the Fiend stuff that everyone was talking about...but the first time I watched him wrestle on PPV, I asked my friend, "So, how long do they plan to do this?"  It just felt like something that had ran it's course before it ever really started.  I'm just not interested in Husky Harris' cartoon alter ego.  I thought the Wyatt Family was pretty brilliant, but they couldn't just let him be a creepy dude from the swamp, they had to make him the magical creepy dude from the swamp.  If your magic only reaches far enough to project maggots in the ring, you aren't any more magical than the average Best Buy employee.  Seriously, that guy can talk, is pretty good in the ring, and has a creepy charisma...that's enough build a character around...once you add magic, demons, fiends, or any other hokey nonsense, I'm out.  

• Like 2

Surprised to see the big reaction to the Cathy Kelley news. Considering the WWE content I watch, I don't think I've seen her do anything other than hold the microphone for the stars. You've normally got to be in that role for ages or be especially distinct for me to learn your name. Gun to my head, I wouldn't be able to pick her or Charly Caruso out of a line-up. I'm pretty sure I didn't realize they were different people until just this moment.

That said, good on her for stepping away. I can't see a lot of room for growth where she is now. Hope she achieves her ambitions. 

20 minutes ago, supremebve said:

If you could take one wrestler, dead or alive, from any era, in their prime and drop them into today's WWE, who would you choose and why?

Flair is the easy choice, because he's Flair.  He can talk, he can work, and he was always willing to put his body on the line.  He's not fair.  Steve Austin and The Rock are too recent, they are still the two wrestlers that the WWE wishes were young/desperate enough to come back.  I don't know if Hogan's super hero act would fly in this era so he's out too. 

You know who I'd want to bring in, Vader.  Seriously, the average wrestler is smaller these days which would make him look even more massive.  Vader was a massive man, who was a extremely good athlete for his size, and liked to lay in his strikes...he'd look like the baddest mother fucker on the planet.  Imagine the hoss matches he could have with Kieth Lee, or the David and Goliath style matches he could have with Daniel Bryan.  Have Brock go away for 6 months to a year, let Vader destroy everybody, and then next Wrestlemania put them in a match...I'd buy a ticket to that.

First name that comes to mind is Jake Roberts.  The guy could go and was dialed in on who he was.  Plus given his promo ability he'd be off the scripted leash quicker than you could say "DDT"

Given more time I'd say Furnas and Lafon.  They didn't have the promo ability but I'm confident that they could do pretty well.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Given more time I'd say Furnas and Lafon.  They didn't have the promo ability but I'm confident that they could do pretty well.

This is a damn good answer.  I think they'd be even better in AEW where they could be the heels that ground down the flippy guys.  I honestly don't know if they'd be great on the main roster, but they would rule in NXT.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, supremebve said:

This is a damn good answer.  I think they'd be even better in AEW where they could be the heels that ground down the flippy guys.  I honestly don't know if they'd be great on the main roster, but they would rule in NXT.  

Thanks.  They were my first thought until I saw you said WWE.  But yeah, I would like to think they'd be on every hot indy around.  And I'm sure they'd be in AEW and/or New Japan at different points too.

41 minutes ago, supremebve said:

If you could take one wrestler, dead or alive, from any era, in their prime and drop them into today's WWE, who would you choose and why?

Flair is the easy choice, because he's Flair.  He can talk, he can work, and he was always willing to put his body on the line.  He's not fair.  Steve Austin and The Rock are too recent, they are still the two wrestlers that the WWE wishes were young/desperate enough to come back.  I don't know if Hogan's super hero act would fly in this era so he's out too. 

You know who I'd want to bring in, Vader.  Seriously, the average wrestler is smaller these days which would make him look even more massive.  Vader was a massive man, who was a extremely good athlete for his size, and liked to lay in his strikes...he'd look like the baddest mother fucker on the planet.  Imagine the hoss matches he could have with Kieth Lee, or the David and Goliath style matches he could have with Daniel Bryan.  Have Brock go away for 6 months to a year, let Vader destroy everybody, and then next Wrestlemania put them in a match...I'd buy a ticket to that.

Vince would have him be a fat dancer.

• Like 1

My answer would be Brian Pillman, but his prime in-ring and his prime on the microphone are two different things. If you could combine the two and drop him into WWE, I'm sure Heyman would fall all over himself to get him to be on Raw.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I don't watch Raw or Smackdown, so I didn't even see the Fiend stuff that everyone was talking about...but the first time I watched him wrestle on PPV, I asked my friend, "So, how long do they plan to do this?"  It just felt like something that had ran it's course before it ever really started.  I'm just not interested in Husky Harris' cartoon alter ego.  I thought the Wyatt Family was pretty brilliant, but they couldn't just let him be a creepy dude from the swamp, they had to make him the magical creepy dude from the swamp.  If your magic only reaches far enough to project maggots in the ring, you aren't any more magical than the average Best Buy employee.  Seriously, that guy can talk, is pretty good in the ring, and has a creepy charisma...that's enough build a character around...once you add magic, demons, fiends, or any other hokey nonsense, I'm out.  

Bray Wyatt, cult leader, was a great gimmick. The problem was that Vince didn't know quite what to do with it and in the end what he really wanted was another Undertaker/Kane type of character. The Fiend is exactly that with a dash of the faces of Foley mixed in with normal Bray doing his own Mister Rogers-esque character. Its a good character, but WWE fucked up moving too fast with him and then holding back on his first title major match just so they could save his win for a Saudi ppv. The gimmick is actually pretty good with the solid story behind it. Its rather clear Bray has been given a lot of creative freedom with it. That said, WWE in general is a bit too down to take advantage of it, and its hard to work a good face/heel aspect to his feuds because its not a character people find themselves wanting to boo despite the Fiend being categorically evil. 

Since someone said Bret didn't like to be stiffed, I think Vader was on Table for Three with Sting and DDP and talked about the White Castle of Fear strap match. He clearly was still a bit sore about Sting causing his ear to bleed profusely in that match, and Sting clearly was of the mind, "You use to hurt me all the time, Leon".

With Leon being so difficult to work with at times, I am not sure how he would fare in a WWE where there are periods where you have people getting concussed or injuring another body part seemingly every show. Hell, they couldn't even get him to wash his gear when he was there then. He may legit get upset at something and just start no showing events.

If he went through the PC now, he wouldn't be Vader unless they came up with that gimmick. Even then, they would tell him explicitly not to hurt people either and make him "gunshy".

WWE should book Hogan vs Flair. But in a no throws match, so nobody dies. Just ramp up the worked strikes and submissions and crowd pandering. Hogan can just do the axe bomber finish to win, and it would be the only bump in the match for Flair.

• Like 1

I mean considering how it went 20 years ago for Vader - I think it would be exactly the same. Poorly.

I mean there is the famous example where Vader gets all pissy when Shamrock was stiff with him

And here is the Table for 3 clip I think you are talking about

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

I mean considering how it went 20 years ago for Vader - I think it would be exactly the same. Poorly.

I mean there is the famous example where Vader gets all pissy when Shamrock was stiff with him

And here is the Table for 3 clip I think you are talking about

I didn't even consider Vader's reputation as the world's biggest baby.  How the hell did he work with Stan Hansen or any of the All Japan guys if he couldn't deal with Sting of all people?  It's probably a good call that he wouldn't be successful in the modern era.  Honestly, this is probably the stiffest era of WWF/E, and he wouldn't get far if he couldn't deal with a stiff strike or two.  

Vince would find out he's from Compton and this would be his entire gimmick.

35479645_260909158006184_662686068202327

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I was sorta confused that during his interview on BATB 95, he was talking about being from the streets of Los Angeles. Clearly, Vader forgot he was from the Rocky Mountains.

HE'S FROM THE ENTIRE ROCKY MOUNTAIN RANGE!

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

Id love to see early 2000’s Marufuji and KENTA in there now, back before the injuries and age slowed them down.

Those 2 guys probably influenced a lot of the current WWE guys as well.

I don't watch the Stove Top stuffing makes your dinner a special one, but the answer is always Jim Breaks. 

He would be the greatest comedy worker in history. He'd even save the shit comedy that the WWE is so known for writing. You think Santino was good at saving stupid-ass comedy that was written for him? Breaks would be mega-over on this website as a comedy worker. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly
I wrote "product," realized it, and framistan'd myself.
  • Haha 2

Ok, now I want a Sharon Sidello WCW mini movie with Vader holding the talks for the 92 Los Angeles gang truce in his white castle of fear with Harley, random babes, Uncle Snoop, Ice T, and Jim Brown and loudly saying "SOO WOO" intermittently in his Vader voice.

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

I'd pick Tully. Just a slimy prick nobody wants to cheer and everybody wants to see get his ass handed to him. Prime Tully carrying around the US/IC title and occasionally vying for the top title would be awesome. Imagine him going up to Vince and saying, "what do you want? You got another check to cancel or something?"

• Like 3