DVDVR Message Board

FEB 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Why don't they just group all the Legends and Part timers and send them all the Columbia and get the Stemcell treatments Nash and Ryback been getting done for a year or so, they can regenerate back 15-20 years and book a ton of dream matches for the Saudi shows and Manias.

I'm only half joking

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Personally, I'm more interested in Goldberg and Roman throwing bombs at each other for 7-8 minutes in the middle of Mania than I am watching Roman have to spam Spears on Bray until he decides to sell one.

Funny you say that - from the new WON

The sad part of this is when it became apparent Goldberg was facing Wyatt, it also became clear that there would be more interest in Goldberg vs. Roman Reigns at WrestleMania for the title than Wyatt in the spot, even though Wyatt has been pushed in his Fiend character as an unbeatable monster. The plan originally was still Wyatt vs. Reigns and Goldberg was only scheduled for Saudi Arabia. But his return to television showed he still had a level of ratings juice, at least at first, that nobody else on the roster has. It also says volumes about the ability to create a star now. Bringing someone back based on a huge run nearly 22 years ago outshines the guy protected more in booking than anyone else who is also the company’s top merchandise seller.

Someone is clearly going to spin Dave's shitty writing to GOLDBERG/REIGNS IS THE MANIA PLAN~!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

Why don't they just group all the Legends and Part timers and send them all the Columbia and get the Stemcell treatments 

“In a shocking turn of events, every member of the Millionaires Club has turned and joined the New Blood!”

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

This is such a bummer. She's so awesome at what she does and being into the geeky side of wrestling ?

I'm really going to need this Otis and Mandy angle to go off tonight without either of their hearts breaking.

• Like 1

Just now, AxB said:

So she says she's leaving WWE, but doesn't say she's leaving the Wrestling business. Interesting...

She's like Renee in that she's talented enough that she can make the leap pretty much anywhere she wants. Damn, now it's just down to Renee, Tom, Nigel, Beth, and Mauro (yeah yeah, I know, YMMV) as far as likable backstage people or announcers goes. The rest feel like they just want them to be interchangeable drones.

• Like 1

I definitely think she was under utilized, but I'm not sure where she would announce. NXT is full, NXT UK isn't an option, maybe Raw to replace Jerry, and I definitely wouldn't want to be the third wheel to Corey and Maggle and get drowned out all of the time.

Damn, I would take her in place of Jerry. Low bar and all that.

22 minutes ago, Craig H said:

She's like Renee in that she's talented enough that she can make the leap pretty much anywhere she wants. Damn, now it's just down to Renee, Tom, Nigel, Beth, and Mauro (yeah yeah, I know, YMMV) as far as likable backstage people or announcers goes. The rest feel like they just want them to be interchangeable drones.

I disagree with this. Kayla is likable. Vic Joseph is pretty likable as well and doesn't come off as a drone when commentating with Nigel. Charly Caruso stands out though that is because she has a slight dickishness to her interviews. 

Edited by Eivion

19 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

This is absolute pure speculation on my part but I do wonder if she asked to start to doing commentating and they told her no

Something song these lines seems likely. There’s really nothing else for her to do there, and Renee seems to get the cush spots like Backstage.

20 minutes ago, Rehabilitated Rick said:

Put some respeck on Kayla's name! 

y'know.. I hope Finn being at her workplace every week didn't contribute to her decision

Wait, did they date at some point or is there some other reason why that would be an issue.

Either way I'm really sad to see Cathy leave.  Aside from Renee she was my favorite  and I'm hoping that she goes to another wrestling company.  I would hope AEW but not sure where she would fit in there.

4 hours ago, Raziel said:

Personally, I'm more interested in Goldberg and Roman throwing bombs at each other for 7-8 minutes in the middle of Mania than I am watching Roman have to spam Spears on Bray until he decides to sell one.

That's the same reason I loved Lensar/Rollins at last year's Mania. It was quick, the whole crowd was into it (I was there) and felt like you were watching a Street Fighter 2 matchup come to life.

• Like 1

If you could take one wrestler, dead or alive, from any era, in their prime and drop them into today's WWE, who would you choose and why?

Flair is the easy choice, because he's Flair.  He can talk, he can work, and he was always willing to put his body on the line.  He's not fair.  Steve Austin and The Rock are too recent, they are still the two wrestlers that the WWE wishes were young/desperate enough to come back.  I don't know if Hogan's super hero act would fly in this era so he's out too. 

You know who I'd want to bring in, Vader.  Seriously, the average wrestler is smaller these days which would make him look even more massive.  Vader was a massive man, who was a extremely good athlete for his size, and liked to lay in his strikes...he'd look like the baddest mother fucker on the planet.  Imagine the hoss matches he could have with Kieth Lee, or the David and Goliath style matches he could have with Daniel Bryan.  Have Brock go away for 6 months to a year, let Vader destroy everybody, and then next Wrestlemania put them in a match...I'd buy a ticket to that.

Count me in the group that prefers Goldberg vs Reigns. Seems far more interesting. No idea what The Fiend does but then again I wouldn't miss him if he wasn't on the card. Styles vs Taker is intriguing but so is Bryan vs Taker.

I think McIntyre-Lesnar, Orton-Edge, Reigns-Goldberg, and Ripley-Flair would be a solid card. Something for everyone. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Six String Orchestra said:

Count me in the group that prefers Goldberg vs Reigns. Seems far more interesting. No idea what The Fiend does but then again I wouldn't miss him if he wasn't on the card. Styles vs Taker is intriguing but so is Bryan vs Taker.

I think McIntyre-Lesnar, Orton-Edge, Reigns-Goldberg, and Ripley-Flair would be a solid card. Something for everyone. 

I don't watch Raw or Smackdown, so I didn't even see the Fiend stuff that everyone was talking about...but the first time I watched him wrestle on PPV, I asked my friend, "So, how long do they plan to do this?"  It just felt like something that had ran it's course before it ever really started.  I'm just not interested in Husky Harris' cartoon alter ego.  I thought the Wyatt Family was pretty brilliant, but they couldn't just let him be a creepy dude from the swamp, they had to make him the magical creepy dude from the swamp.  If your magic only reaches far enough to project maggots in the ring, you aren't any more magical than the average Best Buy employee.  Seriously, that guy can talk, is pretty good in the ring, and has a creepy charisma...that's enough build a character around...once you add magic, demons, fiends, or any other hokey nonsense, I'm out.  

• Like 2

Surprised to see the big reaction to the Cathy Kelley news. Considering the WWE content I watch, I don't think I've seen her do anything other than hold the microphone for the stars. You've normally got to be in that role for ages or be especially distinct for me to learn your name. Gun to my head, I wouldn't be able to pick her or Charly Caruso out of a line-up. I'm pretty sure I didn't realize they were different people until just this moment.

That said, good on her for stepping away. I can't see a lot of room for growth where she is now. Hope she achieves her ambitions.