DVDVR Message Board

FEB 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

4 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Out of all of the notable places to train, the Dungeon probably had the best track record for guys being able to adjust to any style.

In terms of one guy who was able to adjust to any style, I reckon the gold standard is Norman Smiley. Technical Matwork style? Great at it. Japanese Shoot Style? Great at it. Mexican Lucha Libre? Great at it. American Comedy Hardcore style? Great at it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cobra Commander said:

Even in one of Mid-South's primary markets, they use the WWF nickname. No respect for Watts.

Also, good luck getting 12 jurors in Mississippi who didn't watch pro wrestling any time between the early 80s and mid 90s. Assuming that you'll be disqualified from the Dibiase jury if you mention how much you wanna throw Ted in jail for what he did to the JYD in 82

Based on the success of Crockett in the old Mid-South territory and then how badly the Clash w/ Flair vs. Steamboat in New Orleans did, this would have had to take place in the era he was wrestling there for anything else to happen.

11 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Out of all of the notable places to train, the Dungeon probably had the best track record for guys being able to adjust to any style. One mediocre match with Tiger Mask II doesn't really prove that Bret couldn't do that. Mid 90s (specifically 1995) Bret Hart could really fucking go. This is the same dude in the Jean Pierre Lafitte IYH 3 match that almost javelin'd himself into the floor on a suicide dive five seconds before the bell even sounded. As competitive as Bret was, he's not going out there and laying on the mat for 15 straight minutes. He knows how to lay out a match.

That's why I say , put him in any era post Russo WWE without getting that serious injury he would have been a bigger draw. He was one of the best promos and was showing personality that people say he lacked plus they would've had much more emphasis on work rate post 99 were he could've been having classics way more often.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AxB said:

In terms of one guy who was able to adjust to any style, I reckon the gold standard is Norman Smiley. Technical Matwork style? Great at it. Japanese Shoot Style? Great at it. Mexican Lucha Libre? Great at it. American Comedy Hardcore style? Great at it.

Granted all the matches went five minutes or so, Norman didn't exactly have the best showing in that Starrcade 90 Pat O'Connor Memorial tag team tournament. If you didn't know better, just on that show alone, you would have thought Ted Petty (in his South African gimmick) was a much better worker than Smiley.

yeah, I didn't pass the bar or anything, but I suspect that you don't just get $2M from the state without having some concept that this isn't normal.

Also sorta concerning that $4.15M worth of embezzlement (for the entire case that Brett Dibiase and friends is caught up in) is only *one* of the biggest embezzlement cases in state history as opposed to the biggest. It seems like it should be difficult to steal $4M from Mississippi multiple times.

47 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Even in one of Mid-South's primary markets, they use the WWF nickname. No respect for Watts.

Also, good luck getting 12 jurors in Mississippi who didn't watch pro wrestling any time between the early 80s and mid 90s. Assuming that you'll be disqualified from the Dibiase jury if you mention how much you wanna throw Ted in jail for what he did to the JYD in 82

I really want a live telecast of the jury selection, with all of them being brought off by the Million Dollar Man to do degrading/humiliating things instead.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

if only Ted knew an IRS agent who can hinder the Mississippi state investigation.

Looking around Twitter and somebody posted a snippet of the Clarion-Ledger article that mentioned the possibility that Dibiase funded the "Price of Fame" documentary using money that may have been embezzled.

The IMDB description of "Price of Fame": "Ted DiBiase Jr. takes a journey through pro-wrestlings past to tell the faith-based story of his father's rise, fall and redemption"

Which would be one way to fund your documentary about being redeemed from a life of sin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, (BP) said:

My apologies to the Mississippi board members, but in my head everyone involved in this story who isn’t Dibiase looks like this. 

o_brother_pardoned-101.jpg

This film (well whatever portions were filmed in Yazoo City) and the film The Chamber with Gene Hackman (which was actually filmed in my hometown) make me feel weird everytime I see them because I'm so accustomed to see Louisiana being the stand-in for Mississippi (well at least the Mississippi Delta).

Quick fact: For example, when they go to Calvin Candie's plantation in Django Unchained, you would never find those type of trees (moss draped oak trees) in (northern) Mississippi. It's all regular looking deciduous trees. Antebellum Mississippi before it achieved statehood was all forest, and until the turn of the century wasn't much better. So if someone was making a trek like that, it wouldn't be that nice looking and as Southern Gothic-ish. If anything, it would be muddy and fucked up looking like when they flashed the large "MISSISSIPPI" font on the screen. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The latest from pseudo wrestling INSIDERZ~! is that Undertaker will be wrestling at Mania and his opponent is AJ Styles

I'd like to see that. I'd prefer Daniel Bryan to be The Undertaker's opponent and see what Daniel Bryan, the GOAT could get out of 'Taker.

Edited by The Natural

7 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

The state repossesses the Million Dollar title to recoup its losses.

.....Only to hire the Repo Man to do it.

I guess Brother Love is too busy he should've called Bruce from Connecticut because..... Well you know 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

actual headline from the Jackson Clarion-Ledger (behind their paywall):

"Mississippi gave Ted Dibiase $2M in welfare money"

(it involves the Brett Dibiase indicted for embezzlement story and Ted's ministry)

We may have found a wrestling family crime story as good as the Windham family counterfeiting ring story.

I guess being the million dollar man wasn't good enough he needed to be the $2 million dollar man

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

So I guess Honky was right about DiBiase this whole time? Funny because I was watching NWA earlier and Nikita came on with his ministry commercial giving an exact date as to when he "saw the light" and I thought "I wonder if that's when he got the phonecall from Ted".

As a kid growing up my favorite wrestlers were Pillman and Dibiase.   When I first met Ted he didn't come across as a bible loving guy at all. I told him one of the first matches I ever saw was him vs Warrior in November of 90  and he said "I'm sorry"  and then continued to trash Warrior.  In retrospect he didn't have anything kind to say about anyone that day (even Stan Hansen)  They say never meet your idols and in this case it was definitely true. 

18 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

It's like CM Punk said 6 yrs ago about the part timers coming in. 50+ yr old Goldberg comes and takes up a  main spot that someone else could have filled and made it much more interesting. 

17 hours ago, Whodathunkit said:

I usually agree, but I'm opposed to the Fiend/Bray Wyatt being on my tv, so I'd be surprisingly ok with Goldberg coming in for one match and killing Bray's heat.

Count me in the anti-Fiend camp. Outside of Roman, there’s no one on Smackdown who could make a match with the Fiend more interesting than Goldberg.

16 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The latest from pseudo wrestling INSIDERZ~! is that Undertaker will be wrestling at Mania and his opponent is AJ Styles

giphy.gif

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Just give us Sting vs Undertaker with a bunch of smoke and mirrors to make it look good.

I believe Meltzer said that Sting will never be cleared by the WWE doctors now

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Because's Sting's injury is specific to his neck

Just like Paige's neck is so fucked up she will never ever be cleared again

It's only because Sting and Paige haven't hit South America yet.

• Like 1