DVDVR Message Board

FEB 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

3 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

From what I remember, Tyson wanted to make the MB look really good for Joe and took it right where he shouldn't have taken it. 

Yes. I remember Tyson taking all of the blame for the injury, saying he tried to take the bump in a different way to make the move look more devastating. 

32 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

It's like CM Punk said 6 yrs ago about the part timers coming in. 50+ yr old Goldberg comes and takes up a  main spot that someone else could have filled and made it much more interesting. 

I usually agree, but I'm opposed to the Fiend/Bray Wyatt being on my tv, so I'd be surprisingly ok with Goldberg coming in for one match and killing Bray's heat.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, D.Z said:

Bret complained about the move being unsafe.

I don't know if he's the one to quote on the subject.  To his credit, Bret Hart took great care to be as safe as possible in the ring, which is admirable.  I don't know how far that attitude would have taken him if his career started in the 2000s.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I don't know if he's the one to quote on the subject.  To his credit, Bret Hart took great care to be as safe as possible in the ring, which is admirable.  I don't know how far that attitude would have taken him if his career started in the 2000s.  

can't picture Bret doing tope con hilos or superkick after superkick

1 hour ago, paintedbynumbers said:

can't picture Bret doing tope con hilos or superkick after superkick

It's not just that, but workers prioritizing safety is a really old school sentiment.  Seriously, think about how often someone Keith Lee's size would even take a flat back bump in 1985, and then watch an episode of NXT and watch him take a top rope Spanish Fly.  How is Bret Hart supposed to compete with that when his highest impact moves are a back breaker and a second rope elbow drop?  He's not wrong about wanting to be overly safe, but wrestling isn't going to reward someone with that mindset in the current landscape.  Just think about how many TLC, Hell in a Cell, War Games, Elimination Chamber matches happen in a given year.  Safety is not anyone's priority any more.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The latest from pseudo wrestling INSIDERZ~! is that Undertaker will be wrestling at Mania and his opponent is AJ Styles

AJ is lighter than the last few guys I've seen Taker wrestle, so if this comes to fruition it might be a more decent affair than one would expect at this stage of Takers career. Though who knows what AJs injury will be looking like. Ive read they expect him back.

Reading my post back actually kind of made me almost sad that Its gotten to the point where I just outright don't watch WWE. Or not sad but I guess maybe nostalfic. Even though I mostly preferred WCW, I live in the northeast so WWE is kind of our home team. This is what I imagine Giants fans have been going through. I'll probably watch Mania just because my girlfriend and I make a day out of it every year, but I missed my first Royal Rumble since 08-10 this year, and those were just because I had the post Benoit creeps for a while. 

3 hours ago, supremebve said:

It's not just that, but workers prioritizing safety is a really old school sentiment.  Seriously, think about how often someone Keith Lee's size would even take a flat back bump in 1985, and then watch an episode of NXT and watch him take a top rope Spanish Fly.  How is Bret Hart supposed to compete with that when his highest impact moves are a back breaker and a second rope elbow drop?  He's not wrong about wanting to be overly safe, but wrestling isn't going to reward someone with that mindset in the current landscape.  Just think about how many TLC, Hell in a Cell, War Games, Elimination Chamber matches happen in a given year.  Safety is not anyone's priority any more.

Well, there's the argument that Death Matches are safer than normal matches. Or there's Zach Sabre Jr and his twisting based offense that doesn't involve his opponent bumping very much.

4 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Styles Clash would be another one. Or "Strong Style hitman" Bret Hart

Bret always said he hated Flair's chops because they were so stiff. I can't imagine him taking a stiff european uppercut or any number of superkicks now.

• Like 1

So, Big guy/ Little Guy tag team. Opponents go for stereo Cross Body Blocks. Little guy goes down, big guy does the catch and stay standing. 1, 2, Slam his partner on him to break the count. Why had I not seen this before tonight?

Uh, Bret Hart tried the Misawa corkscrew pescado (which Jim Ross called a plancha) on Diesel and missed at Survivor Series 95. I would qualify that is something you see in 2020 and not 1995 from North American wrestling. Also, he didn't do it as much as Owen did but Bret would do a pescado every now and then. If you do those two moves, I'm 100% sure a tope con hilo is not out of the question.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

Bret always said he hated Flair's chops because they were so stiff. I can't imagine him taking a stiff european uppercut or any number of superkicks now.

Bret was safe but snug when he needed to be, he was all about making his stuff look good. I'm sure he would've acclimated to the current style if he never go hurt. I'm sure Flair did a lot of things towards the end of his career that he wouldn't have done in the 90s or 80s. Look at Taker run from 96 on, he could have gotten by doing so much less, but he wanted to show that he can work. At the same time I think if Bret never left he would have kept the style closer to more of his storytelling more so than trying to keep up with the current style.

I think all the time how dooe it would've been to have Bret and Owen for that matter around in early 2000s WWF, with guys like Jericho Benoit Angle and even Austin and Rock at their peek. If Owen was around post Russo, he could have had a career run unless politics was holding him back but he was close with Rock and Shawn was away so I don't see why not

Edited by Ziggy
  • Like 3

actual headline from the Jackson Clarion-Ledger (behind their paywall):

"Mississippi gave Ted Dibiase $2M in welfare money"

(it involves the Brett Dibiase indicted for embezzlement story and Ted's ministry)

We may have found a wrestling family crime story as good as the Windham family counterfeiting ring story.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

Bret was safe but snug when he needed to be, he was all about making his stuff look good. I'm sure he would've acclimated to the current style if he never go hurt. I'm sure Flair did a lot of things towards the end of his career that he wouldn't have done in the 90s or 80s. Look at Taker run from 96 on, he could have gotten by doing so much less, but he wanted to show that he can work. At the same time I think if Bret never left he would have kept the style closer to more of his storytelling more so than trying to keep up with the current style.

Out of all of the notable places to train, the Dungeon probably had the best track record for guys being able to adjust to any style. One mediocre match with Tiger Mask II doesn't really prove that Bret couldn't do that. Mid 90s (specifically 1995) Bret Hart could really fucking go. This is the same dude in the Jean Pierre Lafitte IYH 3 match that almost javelin'd himself into the floor on a suicide dive five seconds before the bell even sounded. As competitive as Bret was, he's not going out there and laying on the mat for 15 straight minutes. He knows how to lay out a match.

• Like 3

Even in one of Mid-South's primary markets, they use the WWF nickname. No respect for Watts.

Also, good luck getting 12 jurors in Mississippi who didn't watch pro wrestling any time between the early 80s and mid 90s. Assuming that you'll be disqualified from the Dibiase jury if you mention how much you wanna throw Ted in jail for what he did to the JYD in 82

• Like 1