DVDVR Message Board

FEB 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

9 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Honestly, do people in Saudi Arabia care about wrestling enough to have something like this?  I legitimately don't know.  Wrestling isn't exactly new and I kind of feel like any place that wants wrestling already have it.  The United States, Japan, Mexico, Canada and to a lesser part the UK seem to be the places who love wrestling.  Everyone else is kind of indifferent.  Spending the kind of money it would take to push this to places who have not shown much interest in wrestling seems weird to me.  Then again, there is a second XFL going on, so what do I know.

It can also be a training facility for the whole region, including Africa and maybe even India.

9 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

I am connected with him on Linkedin  he has been working with schools and doing assemblies about the dangers of drinking and driving. His young daughter was killed by a drunk driver not long ago.  I know he may have been shitty in the past but he seems like a decent guy now.  

Agreed.  I don't like what he did at the Performance Center but once I found that out about his daughter I just wish him the best with what he's doing now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

Honestly, do people in Saudi Arabia care about wrestling enough to have something like this?  I legitimately don't know.  Wrestling isn't exactly new and I kind of feel like any place that wants wrestling already have it.  The United States, Japan, Mexico, Canada and to a lesser part the UK seem to be the places who love wrestling.  Everyone else is kind of indifferent.  Spending the kind of money it would take to push this to places who have not shown much interest in wrestling seems weird to me.  Then again, there is a second XFL going on, so what do I know.

There are lots of places internationally that get SUPER SUPER SUPER hot with wrestling seemingly out of nowhere.  One example I can think of is that wrestling got super hot in Italy  randomly around 2007-2009-ish.  Nobody saw it coming and it blew up for a bit until it fizzled out.  This happened in South America more recently.

This shit happens, it's just that none of us hear about it unless we're specifically following wrestlers that get involved.  They're all shows that never get here so we have no idea that all these other countries are having thriving wrestling scenes - it doesn't last long when it happens, either.  Total boom then bust.

12 minutes ago, Infinit said:

It can also be a training facility for the whole region, including Africa and maybe even India.

I thought Khali was running something similar to that in India.  Isn't that where Kavina Devi came from?  I honestly think they are hustling backwards, but then again all of these places could be full of talent ready to be discovered.  I still think the most interesting thing they could do is actually get a foothold in Mexico or Japan.  Those places love wrestling and produce massive amounts of wrestling talent.  If they can get the next Okada/Tanahashi/Andrade they'd be on to something.  

I know this is probably never going to be the case, but I'd love to see a truly global wrestling show.  Just imagine if we got to see a feud between Misawa and Bret hart in 1994, or if the NJPW jrs. and the WCW cruiserweights were on the same roster in the late 90s.  I'm skeptical about all these international performance centers, but don't think for a minute that I'm not rooting for success.  I'd love to see a future when we might actually get the best wrestlers from different regions working together.  That shit would be pretty dope.  I don't know if the WWE is who I'd want to be in charge, but that's a whole different conversation.

39 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I thought Khali was running something similar to that in India.  Isn't that where Kavina Devi came from?  I honestly think they are hustling backwards, but then again all of these places could be full of talent ready to be discovered.  I still think the most interesting thing they could do is actually get a foothold in Mexico or Japan.  Those places love wrestling and produce massive amounts of wrestling talent.  If they can get the next Okada/Tanahashi/Andrade they'd be on to something.  

I know this is probably never going to be the case, but I'd love to see a truly global wrestling show.  Just imagine if we got to see a feud between Misawa and Bret hart in 1994, or if the NJPW jrs. and the WCW cruiserweights were on the same roster in the late 90s.  I'm skeptical about all these international performance centers, but don't think for a minute that I'm not rooting for success.  I'd love to see a future when we might actually get the best wrestlers from different regions working together.  That shit would be pretty dope.  I don't know if the WWE is who I'd want to be in charge, but that's a whole different conversation.

Khali runs a promotion in India, but it's not an official WWE facility from what I understand.

I put together a 2048 wrestler tournament for a couple of friends of mine, but after doing all the work they decided they weren't really interested in taking part. I don't want all that work to go to waste, so if anyone here is interested in taking part, PM me and I'll send you the link to the facebook group.

It's just your standard tournament like a March Madness we used to do here, except it's wrestlers from all eras.

• Like 2

That's way more like every MMA shirt.  Those are usually soft though.

The last wrestling shirt I bought just says TELL YOUR LITTLE BABY DORK ASS FRIENDS TO WATCH WRESTLING.  Unless I bought the one that looks like Mr. Pogo on a Ghana movie poster first.  But I have the other one in-hand.

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Like 1

Just now, paintedbynumbers said:

Bella Twins and Liger will be the first confirmed for this years Hall of Fame.  Good on Liger but Bella's? 

They were innovators who paved the way for the Women's Revolution!  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Bella Twins and Liger will be the first confirmed for this years Hall of Fame.  Good on Liger but Bella's? 

Eh, I can justify Bellas being in their HOF.  They weren't the best wrestlers but they did build their name quite a bit to have two reality shows and women that still look up to them.  There's worse inductees to be sure.

As for Liger?  The guy should be in every wrestling Hall of Fame there is so of course he should be in.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

How can they be the first confirmed if they already confirmed that nWo (Hogan, Hall, Nash, and Waltman) would be inducted months ago?

17 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I hope tyler breeze inducts Liger. 

I'd go for Rey Mysterio Jr., and then I think that they should get into an argument about who is the kind of the Jr./Cruiserweights and then they should have a blood fued for Liger's American retirement tour.  That can happen right?  Please?  I already miss Liger, despite not watching much of his work of the last few years.  I just want to know he's in a wrestling ring somewhere.  I'm not crying, you're crying.

holding-back-tears-gif-5.gif

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

How can they be the first confirmed if they already confirmed that nWo (Hogan, Hall, Nash, and Waltman) would be inducted months ago?

I didn't know Waltman was going in with the original three. You'd think they'd put DiBiase and Show in if you're going to put in Syxx, but I get the logic. You start going down that road and you've gotta induct a million guys. Though it would totally be worth it to see Chono at one of these things.

On 2/11/2020 at 3:46 PM, Craig H said:

My one hope is that if Viceland somehow gets NJPW programming then it also winds up on Hulu like Viceland's other shows. 

I wonder if WWE’s contract with Hulu is exclusive.

7 hours ago, Infinit said:

I would guess that the Kingdom would heavily subsidize it.