DVDVR Message Board

FEB 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

22 minutes ago, The Great ML said:

All kidding aside, I’d always understood it as “sign this contract quickly, here and now, without your attorney looking it over...” 

She balked, they took it off her ASAP. No?

in the interest of being accurate instead of glib, yes, the specifics of Richter's situation were different in that her contract was up while she was still champion, and she wanted to review her new contract with her lawyer before signing, while Vince (surprise!) didn't want her to do so (gee I wonder why).  IIRC he even tried to get her to sign without reading on the way to the ring at one point.

Obviously after this Richter wasn't in a mood to re-sign, period.

• Like 1

Potential Elimination Chamber participants spoilers:

For the past two years, the Men's Elimination Chamber participants wrestle a Gauntlet TV match with Seth Rollins going an hour in 2018 and Kofi Kingston last year. I REALLY want Daniel Bryan to be the third. 60 minutes and over of Daniel Bryan please.

Edited by The Natural

Regarding the LA Mania

Per Meltzer on the radio this morning - the WWE actually wanted to do the LA Mania in 2022 because the Super Bowl will be Feb 2022 there and the WWE wants to go after the Super Bowl so they can do their usual trick of claiming a larger crowd.

However, LA wanted them in 2021 because they want to use Mania as their test run for hosting the Super Bowl.

Clearly LA (a few extra dollars) won that

5 hours ago, Technico Support said:

NJPW with 2 Chainz and Damian Abraham on commentary, and all the wrestlers smoking up, is really going to be something else.

You'd think Hoodslam would be a natural fit. I had a feeling they were going to get into wrestling after those documentaries were so well received, but I never would've guessed it could end up being NJPW.

You have to remember that Vice is of two minds. One is the "for the culture", sex drugs and music, stuff for stoned 20-somethings mindset, and the other is wanting to be a serious news and information network mindset. New Japan is classy enough to bridge the gap between those two, perhaps. That makes it quite a fit when you think about it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

You have to remember that Vice is of two minds. One is the "for the culture", sex drugs and music, stuff for stoned 20-somethings mindset, and the other is wanting to be a serious news and information network mindset. New Japan is classy enough to bridge the gap between those two, perhaps. That makes it quite a fit when you think about it.

It does make sense when you put it that way.. I lost the channel when I cut the cord, and never sought it out after Desus and Mero moved to Showtime so I'm not as up on their current programming. I thought that stuff was mainly contained to their online stuff and the news show on HBO. If there's more of that crossover nowadays I could see it 

Is it the one with two guys going around the country eating tacos?  If so I checked it before cutting the cord.  It's a neat idea and man did it have me hungry for good tacos at times.  But I would think it put maybe about the same eyeballs onto it as it did wrestling, maybe a tad less.

Shit, now I want tacos.