DVDVR Message Board

FEB 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

23 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

If I'm New Japan and I see what AEW did first day for Newark, I try to make something happen. You don't have to have a full blown relationship for a one off match. Otherwise, I don't see the trend of dismal ticket sales here reversing.

By the same token, they already sold out MSG once without AEW guys.  Yeah, it was Mania weekend but they could always figure that they'll do it if they put on a real show instead of whatever Road To shows they try and run usually.  

And I still don't see anyone in NJPW Management going to the EVP's beg for permission to book Jericho and Mox in the US.

24 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

If I'm New Japan and I see what AEW did first day for Newark, I try to make something happen. You don't have to have a full blown relationship for a one off match. Otherwise, I don't see the trend of dismal ticket sales here reversing.

You assume that selling tickets is only thing that NJPW cares about. If we are to believe that Gedo still goes around saying "fucking Jeff Jarrett" whenever someone mentions TNA/Impact then we are likely never seeing any one offs.

7 minutes ago, Archibald said:

You assume that selling tickets is only thing that NJPW cares about. If we are to believe that Gedo still goes around saying "fucking Jeff Jarrett" whenever someone mentions TNA/Impact then we are likely never seeing any one offs.

To be fair... fucking Jeff Jarrett.

• Haha 9

3 minutes ago, Raziel said:

By the same token, they already sold out MSG once without AEW guys.  Yeah, it was Mania weekend but they could always figure that they'll do it if they put on a real show instead of whatever Road To shows they try and run usually.  

It was also their first show there, and I had feeling fans thought they would getting a real New Japan show then instead of New Japan being featured guest stars on a ROH show with lame angles. WIthout Mania in the tri-state area and no real buzz on New Japan, it's going to be tough. As someone who watches boxing a lot, the big room at MSG (or Barclays for that matter) is a tough sale as is. I think people automatically think "Hey, it's NYC...we should automatically do decent." Look at AAA. I mean you might say well NYC is really more Puerto Rican, Dominician, Cuban, etc. heavy. Well, Canelo in his first fight in MSG made you feel like that fight was taking place in Guadalajara. Yes, there are fans in NYC but getting them out is a whole different issue. 

16 minutes ago, Raziel said:

And I still don't see anyone in NJPW Management going to the EVP's beg for permission to book Jericho and Mox in the US.

I don't think I would say begging because Jericho kinda marches to the beat of his drum. He's always trying to leverage his way into more opportunities to make money. If anyone stands to gain from this, it's Chris Jericho. Moxley would just be the icing on the cake.

18 minutes ago, Archibald said:

You assume that selling tickets is only thing that NJPW cares about. 

If you didn't care about selling tickets, you just do another show at Hammerstein or Kings Theatre or the Aviator sports complex or at most the Hulu Theater. When you decide to do a show at the Garden, you firmly planted your foot down in the ground about selling tickets.

20 minutes ago, Archibald said:

If we are to believe that Gedo still goes around saying "fucking Jeff Jarrett" whenever someone mentions TNA/Impact then we are likely never seeing any one offs.

They're not using TNA talent. Two of their main stars are AEW's main stars. Whole different situation.

• Like 1

If there was ever an opportunity for NJPW and AEW to do something, this may be it. Especially with All In/Out the following week, a talent exchange and/or a major angle being done would probably drum up good business for both companies. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Infinit said:

If there was ever an opportunity for NJPW and AEW to do something, this may be it. Especially with All In/Out the following week, a talent exchange and/or a major angle being done would probably drum up good business for both companies. 

If it was me, I would just have either Mox or Jericho wrestle and do the angle with the guy who didn't wrestle. If you can only get one, then fine.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Raziel said:

The only wrench is they can't book at least Mox on US shows (the whole thing with G1 in Dallas.)

By that time that MSG card comes around, that would have been thirteen months apart. AEW wasn't even on TV then. Based on them allowing Jericho to do what he did, I would say they are in a better place than they were in July 2019.

6 hours ago, AxB said:

It's all a conspiracy to cut down on mania week indie shows, by forcing them to pay extortionate California building rents.

GCW already has a venue for L.A. shows. Best bet would be to run the Long Beach Convention Center, like NJPW did the first time.

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

Pretty sure Jericho and Moxley can't work in the US for New Japan, that's part of the deal.

And didn't they sell out MSG when the Bucks, Omega & Cody were still around? Tickets went on sale in August 2018, and unless I'm remembering wrong, all of the Elite were still around (New Japan and ROH). Omega was the IWGP Heavyweight Champion when tickets sold out. Just saying.

9 hours ago, hammerva said:

Wrestlemania 2021 is going to be in Los Angeles.  

Starting saving now for this and the 125 shows running that weekend

dammit, Chicago is overdue for Mania. the last one was 22 in 2006.

5 hours ago, chanandlerbong said:

Funny enough, Fozzy is basically Jericho with 2 of Stuck Mojo and a couple others. Rock 'n' wrestling, everybody!

i burned Fozzy's first album and on the cd i wrote "Fozzy = Y2J + Stuck Mojo"

1 hour ago, Tromatagon said:

Vegas has way more viable venues for sideho promotion shows, which is the only part about any of this that interests me.

LA doesn't have a lot and the ones we do have are expensive.

Everyone need a good sideho.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Ace said:

GCW already has a venue for L.A. shows. Best bet would be to run the Long Beach Convention Center, like NJPW did the first time.

I wouldn't be surprised to see NJPW/ROH try to do a show in Long Beach given their history there, but either WrestleCon or Collective running there I think would hurt either one. Long Beach is a good 25 miles and minimum hour-long drive from downtown LA and longer from Hollywood if traffic is good, and way too far for an Uber ride for tourists coming in from outside the city. Train ride is comparable in length as well if venues are close enough to stations, a much bigger hassle than trying to do Manhattan to Jersey City which was the distance from Wrestlecon to Collective when it was in NYC last year.

My "fingers crossed, shoot for the moon" scenario - besides of course everything somehow booking in walking distance to each other which I doubt will happen - is that Wrestlecon will run in Hollywood and Collective will run in DTLA (or vice-versa) which are each connected by a 20-to-30-minute train ride. Bar Wrestling's proper Los Angeles venue is along the same train line though too small for either of the larger gatherings, and if WWE centers Axxess/HOF/Takeover around Staples Center/LA Convention Center, is also easily accessible along that route.

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Pretty sure Jericho and Moxley can't work in the US for New Japan, that's part of the deal.

And didn't they sell out MSG when the Bucks, Omega & Cody were still around? Tickets went on sale in August 2018, and unless I'm remembering wrong, all of the Elite were still around (New Japan and ROH). Omega was the IWGP Heavyweight Champion when tickets sold out. Just saying.

4 months between the Elite leaving and that show, with AEW being announced and Jay White was champ.  That building was still full.  Can't really tell if it was St Kenny, the promotion,  or Mania weekend.