DVDVR Message Board

FEB 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

49 minutes ago, nate said:

Re: wrestling movies:

I didn't see "I Like to Hurt People."  Also, there's a weird monster/wrestling film hybrid called "Monster Brawl" that is straight up stupid fun.  

Oh, oh, and I liked the movie "Calamari Wrestler."

Yes, Calamari Wrestler. I can't believe I blanked on that. It's wonderful!

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

What the fuck is that even supposed to be doing then?

I think he’s basically claw holding the head with his arm. It’s stupid as heck, but stupid submission holds tend to be a modern New Japan thing. Although most guys tend to move away from it, but SANADA seems to want to stick with it because purest fucking hate it so much.

Lowlife isn't about wrestling, but one of the main characters is a luchadore. And it's a pretty good movie.

There's also Chokeslam, which is about wrestling, but I don't know how good (or bad) it is. I'm leaning towards bad since I've never heard of it, but it does have Amanda Crew and Mick Foley in it. And I love Amanda Crew, damnit.

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

The Rikishi Driver was way too safe looking.

I don't know, man, some of these look nasty as hell. And even the ones that aren't super head droppy look like they are destroying the dude's shoulder.

32 minutes ago, Casey said:

There's also Chokeslam, which is about wrestling, but I don't know how good (or bad) it is. I'm leaning towards bad since I've never heard of it, but it does have Amanda Crew and Mick Foley in it. And I love Amanda Crew, damnit.

I've watched Chokeslam. More than a year ago now. I even wrote about it in one of the old monthly movie threads. It's... OK.

Has one of those moments where you don't recognise a Wrestler because you thought of him as a smaller guy, but they he's in a room actual normal sized people and he looks fucking gigantic by comparison. I thought the huge looking guy was Davey Boy Smith Jr, but it wasn't, it was Lance Storm. DBS jr looks fucking monstrous surrounded by regular people.

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I get you don't want another Austin/Owen Summerslam 97 situation, but a person's head shouldn't end up just an inch below your chest in a seated position.

On that note: Kevin Steen's package piledriver. I kind of thought the package piledriver was just inherently a shit move before I saw Pentagon do it.

In re:  the Skull End...I think we'd also need to talk about the Paradise Lock. Makes no sense when performed by a guy like SANADA.

I never watched much Toryumon, but I was always under the impression that Milano Collection AT's original version was a submission that entailed him holding on to the legs, rather than just leaving the opponent tied up without any other pressure applied (though a quick search indicated that Milano apparently did both versions). 

But: for the Skull End, anybody who has done any form of legitimate grappling for more than a week or so would understand why the Skull End is nonsense. Why the Paradise Lock wouldn't work is self-evident. NJPW has its share of goofiness from Yano and Taguchi, but it really doesn't fit with SANADA's character or his place on the card. For that matter, it also pains me to see that sort of thing done by a wrestler who otherwise has some great looking offense. Every time SANADA uses either a Tiger or Dragon Suplex, I wonder why that's not at least an occasional finisher for him. Common move in puroresu now, but his version looks great.

One last thing: I do get some shameful joy out of the Paradise Lock and Skull End not really working on guys like ZSJ and Minoru Suzuki. It's like a tacit acknowledgment that the moves are junk.

I'm glad we're talking about this. I needed to vent.

• Thanks 2

Last update as of a few days ago was that creative had nothing for him. Maybe something came out in the most recent Observer though. Hasn’t been posted on Reddit yet, and you’d think that would be a pretty big piece of news.

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I’m sure @RIPPA will comfirm this, but is it true that the Observer is reporting that Rusev is out over a contract dispute?

Yup - in the WON that came out overnight that is exactly what Dave said

And related to that - Revival asked for their release again (and explaining why they aren't on TV)

Apparently - both's original deals would have expired now but they both had time added on due to injuries

• Like 2

Also from the new WON - and a follow up to what we talked about at the end of last month

Regarding social media, the issues with Vince McMahon and Matt Riddle are due to his social media posts and challenges. Brock Lesnar doesn’t like him for it and Lesnar has tremendous pull with Vince. Vince also sees him as an outside guy and feels Riddle has no respect for the hierarchy of the business by challenging Goldberg and Lesnar.

I am almost positive Dave got that from Heyman

And, yes, the irony of Vince saying Riddle is an "outside guy" is making me laugh and laugh and laugh

• Like 1

I wonder how much of Chris Jericho's AEW persona (where he only wants to spend time with his Inner Circle, and thinks he deserves a Thank You from everyone in the company) is actually a rib on Vince?

• Like 2

Gotta love Riddle grabbing for the brass ring and Vince not liking how he is grabbing for it. 

Also, we all pretty much knew Riddle wouldn't be used well in WWE, right? He's kinda safe while he's in NXT, but he was signed in part to prevent him from going to NJPW when it looked like NJPW was going to have a much larger US presence. No one signed for that reason, that has Riddle's personality, and is able to get himself over outside of the WWE creative machine was going to have a bright future in WWE.

It would not surprise me if Riddle leaves WWE once his contract is up. That isn't to say he'll wind up in AEW, but I could see him working in Impact or ROH or NJPW. He doesn't strike me as someone that's all about the money as long as the money is comparable and the creative opportunities are there.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, nate said:

Re: wrestling movies:

I didn't see "I Like to Hurt People."  

It has some interesting parts and is worth watching, but it's a little uneven because it was shot as a documentary in the 70s, but had a movie narrative crowbarred into it before it was released in the mid-80s.

16 hours ago, bobholly138 said:

My home state and Brett is a guy I have hung out with a few times 5 years ago.  Not surprised it's MS the most ass backwards state in the US.

Alabama has entered the chat.

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Apparently - both's original deals would have expired now but they both had time added on due to injuries

That WWE can do this and get away with it still fucking staggers me. What the actual fuck?

Unionize already, you dumbasses. 

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, hammerva said:

i don't know about you but I am SHOCKED SHOCKED I SAY that a member of Kronik was just busted in Arizona for drug charges.  Talking about Bryan Clark

Well, since the other member of Kronik has been dead for awhile now, I'd hope that you were talking about Bryan Clark.

EDIT: That wasn't meant to be a shot at you, by the way, but more the expression of a a "good, zombies still don't exist" sentiment.

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Well, since the other member of Kronik has been dead for awhile now, I'd hope that you were talking about Bryan Clark.

EDIT: That wasn't meant to be a shot at you, by the way, but more the expression of a a "good, zombies still don't exist" sentiment.

I thought Clark had died as well. He doesn't look anything like I would have imagined.  #notmyadambomb

6 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

I thought Clark had died as well. He doesn't look anything like I would have imagined.  #notmyadambomb

I'm assuming that all the years growing up on Three Mile Island were really bad for his overall complexion and health.

Oh yeah, and all the drugs. Those too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2