DVDVR Message Board

FEB 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

It’s killing me that I can’t remember what it’s called, but there was a 70s B movie about a heel wrestler who’s being stalked by a psycho who doesn’t understand it’s a work. I thought it was called Mad Dog, but I can’t find it now. The trailer was excellent. It starts with a narrator saying, “This man is a professional son of a bitch.” 

The wrestling movie you all need to fucking see is The Masked Mutilator which is available for free on Amazon Prime

You can thank me later.  And if you don't watch the whole thing you're a little baby bitch and a coward.  I will lose all respect for you.  I bought that shit on blu ray sight unseen.

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Haha 2

Is Bud Spencer known at all in the English-speaking part of the world? He was an Italian actor who specialized on spaghetti western and slapstick (extreme slapstick, like in silent films) roles (approx. mit 1960ies to mid 1980ies). His movies (usually with Terrence Hill - also an Italian actor - in the co-lead) are considered cult-classics among my generation (born in the 1970ies and 80ies) in Germany and Austria. In one of his movies (one of the slapstick ones, obviously), he plays a Wrestler in 1920 Chicago and there are some (silly) wrestling scenes (wrestling is treated like a shoot in the movie). It's not an objectively good movie, but if you are into that kind of humor, there are worse ways to spend and evening / weekend afternoon.

Edited by Robert s
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Robert s said:

Is Bud Spencer known at all in the English-speaking part of the world? He was an Italian actor who specialized on spaghetti western and slapstick (extreme slapstick, like in silent films) roles (approx. mit 1960ies to mid 1980ies). His movies (usually with Terrence Hill - also an Italian actor - in the co-lead) are considered cult-classics among my generation (born in the 1970ies and 80ies) in Germany and Austria. In one of his movies (one of the slapstick ones, obviously), he plays a Wrestler in 1920 Chicago and there are some (silly) wrestling scenes (wrestling is treated like a shoot in the movie). It's not an objectively good movie, but if you are into that kind of humor, there are worse ways to spend and evening / weekend afternoon.

I'm pretty sure most hardcore spaghetti western fans in the U.S. are familiar with Bud Spencer and Terence Hill.

I didn't know or remember Bud Spencer's real name (Carlo Pedersoli) until his grandson (also named Carlo Pedersoli) fought in the UFC, and Jon Anik brought it up on commentary. That caught me offguard. Anyway, Bellator just picked him up after UFC released him since they do shows every now and then in Italy.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, (BP) said:

It’s killing me that I can’t remember what it’s called, but there was a 70s B movie about a heel wrestler who’s being stalked by a psycho who doesn’t understand it’s a work. I thought it was called Mad Dog, but I can’t find it now. The trailer was excellent. It starts with a narrator saying, “This man is a professional son of a bitch.” 

Mad Bull with Alex Karras.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

So we all know The Rock had a terrible Sharpshooter and Cena's STF left a lot to be desired, but are there any other examples of wrestlers using poorly executed moves so often?

I bring this up because, while watching some Becky Lynch matches, I can't help but cringe at her top rope drop kicks and leg drops. Both look like she is just stepping/falling off the turnbuckle before she throws her legs out and I really wish she would stop doing both spots.

Anyone else have examples?

Becky also has a pretty awful exploder. So does Randy Orton.

The Rikishi Driver was way too safe looking.

I hate Cody’s Vertabreaker. 

Not really a poorly executed move, but I don’t like that Omega uses the Tiger Driver as a near fall spot in almost every singles match. I can accept it against a star, but not against Jack Evans, or Janela. 

I didn’t like Page’s Dead Eye. Like the Rikishi Driver, it just looks too safe for a driver move. I’m so glad that the Buckshot Lariat is the finisher going forward.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

18 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Becky also has a pretty awful exploder. So does Randy Orton.

The Rikishi Driver was way too safe looking.

I hate Cody’s Vertabreaker. 

Not really a poorly executed move, but I don’t like that Omega uses the Tiger Driver as a near fall spot in almost every singles match. I can accept it against a star, but not against Jack Evans, or Janela. 

I didn’t like Page’s Dead Eye. Like the Rikishi Driver, it just looks too safe for a driver move. I’m so glad that the Buckshot Lariat is the finisher going forward.

I get you don't want another Austin/Owen Summerslam 97 situation, but a person's head shouldn't end up just an inch below your chest in a seated position. You might as well just say wrestling is fake on commentary.

• Like 3

Just now, Elsalvajeloco said:

I get you don't want another Austin/Owen Summerslam 97 situation, but a person's head shouldn't end up just an inch below your chest in a seated position. You might as well just say wrestling is fake on commentary.

Exactly... Being safe is fine, it still needs to look like good. If it don’t, then don’t bother with it. That deflated sound from the crowd should always tell it’s not working. 

KENTA’s top rope clothesline that he used throughout the G1, like CM punk’s elbow, looks like he has lead in his trunks and is ‘falling with no style’, to butcher Buzz Lightyear’s line.

It’s as much the way he waddles up to the top rope rather than springboarding and it being such a blatant symbol of the physical decline from his peak. So in a way it is much more pathetic than Punk, who from all observable evidence never had an athletic peak to speak of (I love him but let’s be honest).

But, having said that, it is totally in keeping with KENTA’s persona of the bitter veteran who’s past his athletic prime and makes up for it in his viciousness and bad behaviour.

Edited by Custos

49 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

I bring this up because, while watching some Becky Lynch matches, I can't help but cringe at her top rope drop kicks and leg drops. Both look like she is just stepping/falling off the turnbuckle before she throws her legs out and I really wish she would stop doing both spots.

Her leg drops look like she’s trying to kill her opponent when she does it from any great height, like a ladder. Just rough looking. 

• Like 2

For somebody obviously very athletic, the large majority of Becky's offense looks like dog shit and she looks Titus O'Neil levels of uncoordinated at times (and how the hell does a high level football player look so awkward too!?).

I am probably the board's biggest SANADA proponent and I'll say the Skull End is horrible. Can you imagine how much cooler he'd be if he just did a dragon sleeper -> dragon clutch that looked roughly as good as Ki's?

• Like 1

Just now, Brian Fowler said:

Oh God, the Skull End. I swear he applies it to his opponent's forehead. Half the time they just accidentally slip out and he has to quickly reapply it. It's terrible.

Apparently the kayfabe explanation is that he is in fact applying it to the top of the head, and not applying a sleeper.

1 minute ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Apparently the kayfabe explanation is that he is in fact applying it to the top of the head, and not applying a sleeper.

What the fuck is that even supposed to be doing then?

4 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

For somebody obviously very athletic, the large majority of Becky's offense looks like dog shit and she looks Titus O'Neil levels of uncoordinated at times (and how the hell does a high level football player look so awkward too!?).

I am probably the board's biggest SANADA proponent and I'll say the Skull End is horrible. Can you imagine how much cooler he'd be if he just did a dragon sleeper -> dragon clutch that looked roughly as good as Ki's?

Dude, how many ex-football players have we seen look godawful in MMA? Chase Sherman was on the high end in MMA and he played for Delta State, about 30 minutes north of where I grew up. I went to school with people who played there, and they ain't producing the same caliber of athletes you see at a power five program. Basketball players can have success in football. Football players, even if wrestling had a great run on them going back several decades, have mixed results at best when trying other sports (real or fake).

Re: wrestling movies:

I didn't see "I Like to Hurt People."  Also, there's a weird monster/wrestling film hybrid called "Monster Brawl" that is straight up stupid fun.  

Oh, oh, and I liked the movie "Calamari Wrestler."

Edited by nate
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, nate said:

Re: wrestling movies:

I didn't see "I Like to Hurt People."  Also, there's a weird monster/wrestling film hybrid called "Monster Brawl" that is straight up stupid fun.  

Oh, oh, and I liked the movie "Calamari Wrestler."

Yes, Calamari Wrestler. I can't believe I blanked on that. It's wonderful!

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

What the fuck is that even supposed to be doing then?

I think he’s basically claw holding the head with his arm. It’s stupid as heck, but stupid submission holds tend to be a modern New Japan thing. Although most guys tend to move away from it, but SANADA seems to want to stick with it because purest fucking hate it so much.