DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 2/5/2020

Dolfan in NYC

8 hours ago, Oyaji said:

That one lashing from Wardlow has me so fuckin' pumped for the cage match too. That was soooo gross. MJF got some really good shots in but there was some bass to that Wardlow shot. If he works half as good as he looks, he'll be a mega star. They added some other good stuff beyond Pac/Omega iron man (got it right this time!) and Cody/Wardlow in the cage over the coming weeks too. 

Oh and shit, think of how dope it's going to be when Pentagon turns on Fenix and they get to do something meaningful other than have fun spotfests on TV. I honestly think they should do that after Revolution if they aren't going to win the belts anytime soon. Doesn't have to last forever and they could even make amends because blood is thicker than water and all that shit in the end. But yeah, Penta and Fenix are high on the list of guys they're just scratching the surface with.

@West Newbury Bad Boy was looking up Larry Z gifs and was shocked to see they didn't have his dinky twirl but was satisfied when I saw that instead. 

Wardlow is an amazing worker, just like with Elias and Brit Baker I've been fortunate to see him from his first match on.  He's also one of the nicest guys you will ever meet and has one of the best swantons in all of wrestling. He had a few matches for Warrior's in Chicago but I highly recommend his cage match vs Jack Pollock from IWC in Pittsburgh. He slams Jack through the ring. 

I wouldn't be shocked to see Jericho beat Mox and start a long term feud with Darby. I think Darby is going to be the next champion. 

Brit as a heel is much closer to her actual personality so of course it will shine in the ring. I didn't mind her match last night it just ended rather quick. Could have went another 3-4 mins I thought.

Omega-Pac setup will be good. I have to wonder where will Page go though? The Adam Page story is how they should have wrote the Sting storyline. I literally have no clue where they will go with Page. The fact that it's unpredictable is great in my eyes! 

The Dark Order stuff was good. I want to see who they expose as the leader. I can't see Brody Lee as a leader but I can see Daniels in the role with Lee as his right hand man.

Kip-Janella was just there.  I liked JR mentioning how Joey was actually a great wrestler and more than just a hardcore guy.  Kip does nothing for me though and comes across as generic create a wrestler from any WWE 2k game.  

Cody-MJF was everything it needed to be and then some. It also helped get Wardlow over with that huge shot.  Wardlow-Cody in the cage will deliver. 

Haven't been this excited for a ppv in a long time.  Kudos to AEW

That whole closing segment was fantastic, everyone coming together to make the angle perfect. MJF was amazing and Cody is all man, man. Opener with Mox/Ortiz was really good too and the 8-man was pretty good. Janella/Sabian are having a perfectly mid-card feud but it is going on a bit.

Have to say I wasn't a huge fan of the women's champion playing damsel in distress for Kenny. She's wrestled men before and taken down bigger opponents than PAC but Omega immediately caves to PAC's demands like he was threatening a child. The match should be a banger, not a fan how they got there.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

That whole closing segment was fantastic, everyone coming together to make the angle perfect. MJF was amazing and Cody is all man, man. Opener with Mox/Ortiz was really good too and the 8-man was pretty good. Janella/Sabian are having a perfectly mid-card feud but it is going on a bit.

Have to say I wasn't a huge fan of the women's champion playing damsel in distress for Kenny. She's wrestled men before and taken down bigger opponents than PAC but Omega immediately caves to PAC's demands like he was threatening a child. The match should be a banger, not a fan how they got there.

I took that portion of the segment not as just a tease for Riho Vs. Nyla, but also a potential Omega & Riho Vs. PAC & Nyla match.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I took that portion of the segment not as just a tease for Riho Vs. Nyla, but also a potential Omega & Riho Vs. PAC & Nyla match.

I could easily see Nyla beating up Riho to the point where the match is stopped/maybe a DQ.  Kenny comes out to make the save and Pac is involved leading to a tag match. I don't see Nyla as the next women's champ though. 

7 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

I could easily see Nyla beating up Riho to the point where the match is stopped/maybe a DQ.  Kenny comes out to make the save and Pac is involved leading to a tag match. I don't see Nyla as the next women's champ though. 

Well it already kind of happened on the 1st show in DC.  Nyla beat up Riho after the match (can't remember if she went through a table) and Kenny stopped her.  It was completely ignored on all sides.  Riho and Nyla is just now starting back up and I am not sure they ever talked about Kenny saving Riho afterwards

I'm actually wondering if they're looking at playing up the cage match next week in Atlanta as being an ode to the Last Battle of Atlanta.

It would be quite the Rhodes thing to do.

it will be interesting to see how violent that match will be on TV.  Cage matches have been very tame especially on a non-PPV show.    Will he be able to pull a stunt like he did in the Jericho match in order to get blood.

Edited by hammerva

5 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Well it already kind of happened on the 1st show in DC.  Nyla beat up Riho after the match (can't remember if she went through a table) and Kenny stopped her.  It was completely ignored on all sides.  Riho and Nyla is just now starting back up and I am not sure they ever talked about Kenny saving Riho afterwards

it will be interesting to see how violent that match will be on TV.  Cage matches have been very tame especially on a non-PPV show.    Will he be able to pull a stunt like he did in the Jericho match in order to get blood.

we all get the feeling Arn will turn at some point, no better time than in the cage. Wardlow would get the win and Cody will have a bigger reason to go after MJF.  Cody with DDP or Dustin in his corner vs MJF with Wardlow and Arn in his corner.  

8 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Those 10 lashes holy cow that was intense. Everyone coming out trying to stop Cody from continuing to do this then Brandi coming out and saying I got your back then one finslltblash across the chest. MJF is becoming a giant heel, a fan went at him. That’s heat brother.

Between Adam Page not tagging in the Bucks and losing the match. Moxley taking Santana’s eye. Britt knocking out Yuma’s tooth with the ring bell, The New Order trying time recruit Christopher Daniels. New Order is growing on me btw. There was a lot of cool shit on the show.

I’m happy the Nightmare Collective is over. I’ll miss Dr Luther he had a cool look maybe if Matt Hardy does show up maybe they do a program or something.

BTW, I watched TNA’s first show and Dynamite today both from Von Braun and Dynamite was better.

You just solved the mystery of who the Exalted One will be...New Order lead singer Bernard Sumner.

...or if you want to go back further, it will be the ghost of Joy Division singer Ian Curtis

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I'm actually wondering if they're looking at playing up the cage match next week in Atlanta as being an ode to the Last Battle of Atlanta.

It would be quite the Rhodes thing to do.

The cage match isn’t until the 19th.

25 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

we all get the feeling Arn will turn at some point, no better time than in the cage. Wardlow would get the win and Cody will have a bigger reason to go after MJF.  Cody with DDP or Dustin in his corner vs MJF with Wardlow and Arn in his corner.  

To be fair the way it is building up we probably shouldn't have a Cody vs MJF match at the next PPV.  If they have the match and Cody wins then we are stuck.  if MJF wins then it seems like we would have to go through this endless array of hoops for the next match

6 minutes ago, ComingToAmerica said:

Really subtle heel turn from Jim Ross at the end.

It was the remake. I mean that's basically Fake Diesel right there.

Jim as a heel is under-rated.  Life has dealt him a bad hand at times and he has every right to be miserable/grumpy and he can play it on screen very well. I'd be ok with heel JR. 

They were talking about Penelope Ford throughout the break in Sabian vs Janela. So the camera was shooting her a lot, because you line up sound and vision. And then JR said "She's got blue eyes, I just noticed". She'd been out there fifteen minutes!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AxB said:

They were talking about Penelope Ford throughout the break in Sabian vs Janela. So the camera was shooting her a lot, because you line up sound and vision. And then JR said "She's got blue eyes, I just noticed". She'd been out there fifteen minutes!

Given how JR acts on Twitter sometimes, I am guessing that his eyes just now got past chest level

By the way anybody that complains about Joey Janela hasn't seen Kip Sabian.  he is basically Sammy Guevara with every bit of personality drained from him

Opening match felt quick without the commercial break which is sometimes needed.  I also prefer the snap DDT over the elevated version for Moxley so yay for that.  The commentary trying to shame Moxley for lowering himself to the Inner Circle's level didn't seem right to me.  They STABBED a SPIKE in his EYE.  Unless they are planning on turning Mox heel (and OMG NO) keep that moralizing to yourself.

Britt-Yuka was all about the storyline but it seemed like Yuka was a bit loose and blew the finish since it looked like she was going for the Drago roll up and Britt was trying to feed her the leg.   This was all about the post match anyway.  I think it went a step too far with the lock jaw as the curb stomp thing would have been a great punctuation mark on the angle. Cornette (I know, I know) made the point about the Orton-Edge angle that a timer needs to start on a heel beatdown before someone comes to help whether it be officials or other faces. With that fresh in mind, this felt too long.

The Best Friends - SCU match was more SCU stuff that didn't land with me.  They seem like good workers, but there doesn't seem to be any personality or character there. I don't usually listen to these things with commentary on so excuse me if I've missed it but it seemed like Excalibur stepped all over the 'no one kicks out of the falcon arrow' spot if this is the first time its been rolled out. I've never noticed it before tonight..

The 8 man pushed Page the wrong way for me as it seems to be telegraphing a heel turn for the Hangman. I really think that's a mistake although I guess you could paint tonight as more arrogance from the Bucks.  This stuff with Pac and Omega just feels like noise that doesn't need to be there and is muddying the waters of the bigger angle.

26 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Given how JR acts on Twitter sometimes, I am guessing that his eyes just now got past chest level

By the way anybody that complains about Joey Janela hasn't seen Kip Sabian.  he is basically Sammy Guevara with every bit of personality drained from him

Sammy should get more credit for his singles matches on Dynamite. Him, and Page have easily been the best performers on TV since episode one. That’s why I hope a secondary belt gets made. Some of these guys are just too good to only get occasional spotlight matches. At least Page now has a reason with the Tag Titles. Hell, Scorpio isn’t really busy. You could do a program with him, and Sammy.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Goodear said:

The 8 man pushed Page the wrong way for me as it seems to be telegraphing a heel turn for the Hangman. I really think that's a mistake although I guess you could paint tonight as more arrogance from the Bucks.  This stuff with Pac and Omega just feels like noise that doesn't need to be there and is muddying the waters of the bigger angle.

I don't see it as a path towards heeldom for Hangman.  Bucks kept tagging themselves and Kenny but Adam and as a result he went all "Fuck you, I'll do this myself" as a result.  I believe it happened in previous matches where they tagged together so between that and the out-of-ring stuff he's not exactly in the wrong here.

And hey, how can you make somebody a heel when he can magically have a pitcher of beer?  That would make him pretty much a hero to those wishing for that ability.

• Like 2