DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 2/5/2020

Dolfan in NYC

9 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Hey I just thought of something. This might be a terrible idea given how obscure he is to the mainstream, but with his association with a lot of these guys in AEW, what about Mike Quackenbush for the part of the Exalted One? 

If we're going that route i want it to be Ultramantis

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Firebreaker Chip said:

The actual lashes felt a bit idk "disappointing" compared to the ridiculous amount of violence that regularly occurs in modern pro wrestling, the noises produced being less impressive than e.g. a Trent chop from earlier on the show; perhaps it's a bit into that C*rnette zone of "it actually hurts and looks like it doesn't"

I dunno. The one thing I give Joe Rogan credit for as a UFC commentator is he works in small little details that the average fan watching on his couch wouldn't know. One example would be that in muay thai, if a guy kicks you, it's not the loud, thudding shots that hurt. It's the ones you don't hear anything that utterly destroy a guy's leg.

In wrestling, most of the performers (especially now since the thigh slap shit is done every week) are going for the loudest sound possible. A real whooping with a belt you wear is not going to produce the sound they've carefully edited in for a motion picture. Therefore, the commentator has to get that over. The commentator has to say this shit is real and there ain't no stunt doubles.

As is, that segment was fucking terrific.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

If you wanted maximum sound, then go with a weight belt(or laser whipping). But you’re probably asking for Cody to die on live TV at that point. 

My point is that the sound is just a background detail for the overall story. I think modern wrestling fans are trained to look for that everytime they use that gimmick. Look at the small details. This show was in Huntsville, AL. How many people in the Bible Belt have received a whooping with a belt when they were young kids? I would say roughly 7 or 8 out of 10 at least. Using an everyday belt is far more effective than using a big ass strap you see in a strap match or a weight belt. It's overkill. MJF whooped Cody with Cody's own belt. That's enough for it to work.

• Like 5

That really is a special angle that will be one of those things that lasts the test of time I think. I was more excited by him punching the glass to get at Jericho, but I'll still remember the lashings long after I've forgotten about the fun concession stand brawl and crutch swipe by Jericho.

• Like 4

Thankfully CODY wasn't the dumbest babyface ever and wear the Custom Weight Belt to the ring. The Wardlow shot would have been like a Thunder Clap with that thing. 

19 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

My point is that the sound is just a background detail for the overall story. I think modern wrestling fans are trained to look for that everytime they use that gimmick. Look at the small details. This show was in Huntsville, AL. How many people in the Bible Belt have received a whooping with a belt when they were young kids? I would say roughly 7 or 8 out of 10 at least. Using an everyday belt is far more effective than using a big ass strap you see in a strap match or a weight belt. It's overkill. MJF whooped Cody with Cody's own belt. That's enough for it to work.

The crowd would have hated MJF even more if for the last lash Wardlow had a Switch hidden in his Jacket and MJF use that because everyone in the South is most fearful of that when it came to a whooping. 

• Like 2

Weight Belts might be bigger and heavier than regular belts, but they're also much less flexible. The impact might actually be lesser. Besides which, the greater width would spread the impact, rather than concentrating it on one spot. Like taking a flat back bump, instead of a high neck drop.

• Like 2

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Co-signing. I don't think the purpose of the lashings was the violence compared to what else you see in wrestling. Getting hit with a belt is humiliating, and it's a power play. It's to make you remember who's in charge, it reinforces a power dynamic. Not to mention, it hurts like hell, and can leave both physical and psychological scars. I had trouble watching the segment because of this. I got hit with a belt a bunch growing up and I felt my back tense up when I watched the first couple of shots.

That 8-man was super fun and was some really nice, efficient booking. Lucha Bros and B&B both needed a win and so have the face the strong team that's showing cracks.

The Passion of the Cody served its purpose of being hard to watch putting massive heat on MJF. His heel work here was top notch. The ball shot after Cody didn't give up was a perfect way to end it. Between this, the car key to the eye, and Baker's tooth extraction, this was a good show for pro-wrestling violence.

• Like 1

I don't know that Santana needed to cut a promo seeming mostly fine an hour after getting his eye stabbed. Maybe hold that off until next week, or Dark at least? Kind of a shame because that promo is the most I've seen out of either of those guys, but it seemed very out of place to me.