DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 2/5/2020

Dolfan in NYC

So much deliciousness ahead and it's going to take a long time to get to all of it because they build to things gradually and get every cent out of angles and feuds. They are also seemingly doing a better job the last month of avoiding the "I WILL ANNOUNCE MY REACTION NEXT WEEK." *face is booed* awkwardness. They were struggling to stagger out some of the Jericho/Mox and in particular Cody/MJF angles for a while because there is a good three months between PPVs. It's tough because you want an obvious next destination but you also need to pace yourself.

But, yes, Sad Jericho losing the belt and getting his ass kicked by Sammy & Co. is going to get him so much sympathy... I just hope he doesn't go on an extensive tour with Fozzy like what he'd do in WWE in similar situations. I want Sad Jericho vignettes, drinking bubbly alone in a hot tub with a dejected look and a shitty Fozzy slow jam playing. 

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Another way to look at would be that NXT viewership jumped for an episode where she was advertised, but there's no reason to give her all (or even any) of the credit as one number tells us very little. Of course the guy who likes to call other people trolls is just trolling, so it really doesn't merit any deeper thought than that. And this is the AEW folder, so I doubt people in this part of the board care about his throbbing hate-on for Charlotte. 

Uhhh okay. Stay on topic please.

His kid wants to play hockey but he just wants to watch replays of the beatdown. He does listless MMA where he gets trapped in submissions a lot. He can't listen to X-Japan anymore and can only play "Don't Know What You Got Til It's Gone" over and over.  I can get down with that, make it really overblown. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

His kid wants to play hockey but he just wants to watch replays of the beatdown. He does listless MMA where he gets trapped in submissions a lot. He can't listen to X-Japan anymore and can only play "Don't Know What You Got Til It's Gone" over and over.  I can get down with that, make it really overblown. 

When Jericho finally decides to make his return to exact revenge on the Inner Circle, we need training vignettes set to "Eye of the Tiger". DDP should be Jericho's trainer. I'd probably go with Killswitch Engage's cover over the original.

...and there has to be shots of him running up the stairs in Philly by the Rocky statue

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

Anyone on the board ever tried running the Rocky steps? Is it shoot hard to do? Part of me wants to try, but it's not like I'm flying to America just to run up some steps or nothing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AxB said:

Anyone on the board ever tried running the Rocky steps? Is it shoot hard to do? Part of me wants to try, but it's not like I'm flying to America just to run up some steps or nothing.

Had I known how close they were when I went to AEW in Philly last October, I would have. Of course, the weather and traffic were awful that night. According to Google Maps, the Rocky building is nine minutes from the Liacouras Center.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

That was another fun show! 

Santana reminded me of Eddie Kingston in his promo (that may purely be down to accent/facial hair though). They're doing a really good job of making the steps along the journey matter and adding these mini-feuds in logical ways. Similar to Inner Circle run-ins with Jurassic Express and Darby. They're not just throwing out random, Moxley faces stooge matches, they're adding layers. 

I love Jericho on commentary. The only slight problem is that maybe it detracts a bit from his heel heat since he is so entertaining. He does do a great job of selling the product and his opponents while still reminding you that he doesn't care for them. 

I'm conditioned to expect the Page angle to go one way (heel turn) but I think they've done a good job of giving enough depth and colour to his various interactions to make a few different outcomes plausible. I think they summed him up really well with "anxious millennial cowboy" because he was cheering his team on from time to time but just lost in his own head at others. 

The pop for OC facing the Dark Order made me smile. I love that something so different and inherently silly is getting over and as others have said, I look forward to the day he just goes, while also hoping it never happens either. 

Not much more to say about the lashes, MJF walked a decent line between cocky, obnoxious heel running his mouth and fella who absolutely despises the person he's facing. The run after the kick to the bollocks was great. Never saw anything in Cody in his WWE run but he makes me care more than anyone in wrestling now. The no touching rule is a really effective way of building towards their match and he's selling his inner conflict really well. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I just hope he doesn't go on an extensive tour with Fozzy like what he'd do in WWE in similar situations. I want Sad Jericho vignettes, drinking bubbly alone in a hot tub with a dejected look and a shitty Fozzy slow jam playing. 

Obviously Jericho is quite willing to do crazy fly-ins when he needs to, the next Fozzy tour in April/May gives him Wednesdays off. At some point I guess there will be touring outside of Europe, but I am guessing Sony are smart enough to understand that AEW Jericho is pretty direct promotion for the band in a way that Y2J wasn't really.

One thing about Revolution, if MJF and Jericho go over it's going to be a big night for the heels.

What to do?

Image result for dusty finish

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, AxB said:

Thanks for bumming me out by reminding me that I've been to Philly so many times for work and have never seen the Rocky statue/steps or, for that matter, the Liberty Bell.

2 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Running up the steps of the Philly Art Museum isn't really that hard unless you're *really* out of shape and/or immobile.  

I also thought they moved the statue inside the museum, but that was what a friend told me a few years ago.

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I also thought they moved the statue inside the museum, but that was what a friend told me a few years ago.

It's at the bottom of the steps off to the right in it's own area, they moved it down there in 06.  

3 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Try riding up that thing on a ninja, and chucking your helmet at the statue because your dead trainer didn’t believe in you so he booked you against tomato cans.

To be fair, there's a couple ramps up there that you could drive the Ninja up.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Oyaji said:

We can only hope that she shoots Luther out of a cannon at the start of next week's episode into MJF & Wardlow. Oh, and Mel too.

They found a time machine and they can send "Japanese death match legend" Luther back to 1998

When Cody was taking his lashes and Brandi came down, I was expecting her to get in the ring and beg MJF to stop.  I loved that instead, she went to Cody and told him, "You can do this!"  It's a little thing, but it made the whole segment that much better.  She knows how much it means to him to get his hands on MJF, and she isn't going to mess that up.  

• Like 7

I haven’t seen this discussed, but is it possible that Luther is to Jericho what Nakazawa is to Kenny and Cutler is to the Bucks?  (Mainly around to be a travel companion/do backstage stuff, with their minor role on TV just a bone tossed their way.)

Edited by EVA

18 minutes ago, EVA said:

I haven’t seen this discussed, but is it possible that Luther is to Jericho what Nakazawa is to Kenny and Cutler is to the Bucks?  (Mainly around to be a travel companion/do backstage stuff, with their minor role on TV just a bone tossed their way.)

It’s more than possible. It’s the only thing that makes sense. 

On 2/6/2020 at 9:31 AM, Technico Support said:

Between that, calling a woman a "jezebel" in 2020, and again giving Excalibur shit for calling moves correctly, Ross is really wearing thin.

I know I've been against Ross "bullying" Excalibur in the past (I think I said bullying...) but I felt he was 100% in the right last night! "Magical Girl Splash"? GTFO

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Fighting a man with a perm said:

I love Jericho on commentary. The only slight problem is that maybe it detracts a bit from his heel heat since he is so entertaining. He does do a great job of selling the product and his opponents while still reminding you that he doesn't care for them. 

That was something I thought about during the match: remember when he first came to WWF and got into all kinds of heat for buying people in his promos, especially saying things that were true? Here he is perfectly putting himself over and putting Moxley over, and finding time to put Ortiz over as well, and teach Guvera valuable life lessons.

• Like 1

The Lashin' of the Christ segment had an almost penalty shootout-like vibe , the slightly surreal atmosphere of the playing area being repurposed for something more tense, stop-start and unpleasant than usual, the crowd hushed, teammates watching on from the sidelines desperately willing the one unfortunate on but powerless to intervene

The actual lashes felt a bit idk "disappointing" compared to the ridiculous amount of violence that regularly occurs in modern pro wrestling, the noises produced being less impressive than e.g. a Trent chop from earlier on the show; perhaps it's a bit into that C*rnette zone of "it actually hurts and looks like it doesn't"

Cody's selling was tremendous though, if ever someone was justified in getting a

world title despite a) having the book and b) solemnly swearing to never challenge for it again, he's in there

Edited by Firebreaker Chip
  • Like 1

I fucking love that stipulation because you can do so much with it. There can be an angle where somebody like an MJF gets the belt way later down the line and is playing mind games with Cody. The fans and his allies are all into removing the stipulation, he continues to say no and be a man of his word,  until it's time for that heel turn, baby... THEN he "begrudgingly" accepts, wins, turns heel in one fell swoop. This is waaaay down the line though. Like 2 years plus.

• Like 2