DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 2/5/2020

Dolfan in NYC

1 minute ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

JR's gonna have a meltdown on his podcast if he searches 2 Cold Scorpio on Twitter. 

Hahaha, definitely not his best outing tonight. Apparently Tony got caught looking at Penelope's cheeks too. I need a gif of that. ?

I know it's been said before, but the two hours fly by. Dynamite could be three hours and I'd still be left wanting more.  From top to bottom, I loved everything on this show.                         

I liked the Dark Order's paid advertisement. It's been a bumpy road for them, but I feel like they've finally hit their stride. I need to go back to my local library to see if anyone has taken any tabs off their flyer. 

Everything about the whipping was great. I'm sure it was influenced by Tommy Dreamer's caning. Cody is fucking king sized agreeing to take ten lashes like that. As if MJF's weren't bad enough, that one from Wardlow...Jeeeezussss. I loved everyone coming out to watch. Brandi coming out was the great final touch. With that and Kong being written off, hopefully the Nightmare Collective mess is over.

I enjoyed Moxley vs. Ortiz and loved the aftermath with Santana getting spiked. I can't wait for Moxley vs. Santana. 

I hope the blowoff for Janela vs. Sabian ends up being a gimmick match with Penelope Ford being locked above the ring in a shark cage or Janela bringing in a woman to counter Ford. Priscilla Kelly, perhaps?

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 4

Just watched the music video for Judas and Jericho looks like he's aged nearly 10 years in the last 3. I know we joke about the drinking, but I think a lot of that is played for laughs with others buying into it too much. If anything, I think the long hair makes him look so much older.

At the same time, the long hair really plays into his whole Big Ern McCracken shtick.

• Like 1

The cameraman was basically just shooting Penelope's arse for the whole break, and at one point JR and Excalibur were ribbing Tony for staring at his monitor for too long. But then Tony claimed he was looking at the 10 Lashes graphic in the corner of the screen.

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Didn't they do the 10 lashes angle with Sandman and Mikey Whipwreck before they did Tommy? And it got them thrown off of the Sunshine Network in Florida? 

Other way around, Tommy got the caining first which is what turned him "face" to ECW and from pretty boy Tommy that the crowd hated to bad ass lovable loser Tommy that the crowd loved.

The Mikey caining was latter as a start to build to Mikey's title win and the combination of violence and Woman going orgasmic during the ordeal is what got them thrown off Sunshine.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Brtt's confidence in the ring seems to be countering her lack of skill, but maybe she'll get it together with more match time.

Someone from AEW seems to have been lurking our board, because it looks like someone took our jokes about Britt not following in the heel dentist gimmick tradition of Issac Yankem seriously.

I'm glad the Nightmare Collective seems to be getting phased out.  They were too close in flavor to Dark Order anyway and Dark Order has a much better and far more realized gimmick.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

For at least one night, I'm on board with the Dork Order. I fucking popped when they beat down Orange Cassidy. I know the guy can work, but holy fuck do I find that whole hands in pockets and shin kick business annoying.

I wonder if Brandi showing up at the end to support Cody is going to lead to another nail in the Nightmire Collective coffin. With Kong already out, Mel and Luther can turn on Brandi, saying she betrayed the cause or something like that.

One thing that I'm loving about AEW right now is that they make each of their upcoming shows feel like it's a big deal. Whereas WWE usually treats their TV like a pitstop before the upcoming PPV. The St Louis show is three weeks out, and they're already pushing it hard with the Pac vs. Omega iron man announcement.

• Like 2

Those 10 lashes holy cow that was intense. Everyone coming out trying to stop Cody from continuing to do this then Brandi coming out and saying I got your back then one finslltblash across the chest. MJF is becoming a giant heel, a fan went at him. That’s heat brother.

Between Adam Page not tagging in the Bucks and losing the match. Moxley taking Santana’s eye. Britt knocking out Yuma’s tooth with the ring bell, The New Order trying time recruit Christopher Daniels. New Order is growing on me btw. There was a lot of cool shit on the show.

I’m happy the Nightmare Collective is over. I’ll miss Dr Luther he had a cool look maybe if Matt Hardy does show up maybe they do a program or something.

BTW, I watched TNA’s first show and Dynamite today both from Von Braun and Dynamite was better.

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I, of course, do not condone fans attacking wrestlers, but fuck this crowd was delightful. Love it.

(probably a plant - wrestling is great)

Soooo, this was Kaz. ?‍♂️?‍♂️ Hey, at least that invisible wall didn't stop him.

Great to see Yuka back, she looked fantastic. Wasn't expecting her to get the win and so quick but was cool to see. The post-match attack came off especially vicious. Hope we see more of The Magical Girl now. Moxley/Ortiz was a good opener to start the show. Fun 8 man tag. Dug the post match angle setting up Pac/Omega and Riho/Nyla at the same time. Closing angle was appropriately epic, Cody continues to deliver greatness every time. Awesome show as it usually seems to be. I echo the love for all the 'setting up stuff for future shows weeks in advance' making all upcoming shows feel like big deals. The cage match and ironman match should both be excellent. 

• Like 1

The closing segment was solid gold.  Fantastic stuff out of MJF,  Cody and everyone involved.  I wasn't sure about these stipulations but it's all coming together nicely.  Now after taking this whipping,  Cody has to fight MJF's monster in a cage in Atlanta... it don't get any better than that.  

Hangman Page is so awesome right now too..  I can't say enough about it and I'm loving the slow burn of THE ELITE exploding...   

I think every promo tonight hit.   Jericho was great on commentary as was Sammy.   Santana's promo "eye for an eye" was another great and unexpected promo, I didn't know he had that in him.  

Loved Darby's little vignette.  I also loved PAC's backstage shit talking.    Top to bottom this was a great fucking show.  

• Like 1

• My recording started a few minutes late, but Moxley beating Ortiz in a match that didn't go through a commercial was a good choice. Ortiz is a tag guy, Mox is a star -- They got the math right this one. The Santana angle was good here, but more on that later. 
  • Saw a video online of fans continuing to sing Judas. Le champion sigh
  • Decent enough tag match with a couple teams that don't have a lot going on. The angle with the Dork Order was fine, mostly because I didn't hear anyone's voice.
  • How long till Britt starts calling herself the Tooth Fairy?
  • The eight man tag was a fine example of that sort of match. What they're doing with Hangman is working very well.
  • Someone should coach JR to say the opposite of what he thinks the right answer is when he reaches for the name of either Butcher or Blade. He's gaffing more than Joe Biden. 
  • The PAC/Riho thing was brutal, mostly because of Riho. She didn't emote well enough to sell the angle. And do we really need her frozen in fear with plenty of room to escape when I'm going to be expected to buy her giving PAC ranas in a few weeks? Bad. Bad bad bad. 
  • The Santana promo responding to the eye-gouging was good, but it shouldn't have been during this show. Let it breathe, dude should still be seeking medical attention. Regardless, Mox should eat him too.
  • To whoever it was that said Dynamite could be three hours and leave you wanting more, I present you with the counter-argument: A Sabian vs Janela match that went through a commercial. Talk about a lack of roster depth. This is why fast forward was invented. I'd rather sit through TSN's XFL ads.
  • Closing angle was almost an A+. Most I've bought MJF's sophomoric heel routine. Demanding Cody's belt was a great touch. Loved the heels on the stage, some of which weren't involved in this feud. Loved the run-ins with no music. Loved the Wardlow spot as an extra bit of dickishness and the atomic bomb of lashings. MJF actually showing off his arms instead of hiding them in his suit added a lot to making him look like a physical threat here. Cody's selling was a bit heavy, but everyone was along for the ride. And no matter how over-the-top the sell, his back really sells the whole thing. Very strong segment, maybe one of their strongest so far. It's time for everyone to stop expressing surprise that Cody Rhodes has turned into such a quality performer. Dude's delivering on his vision with consistency. 

Verdict: Pretty good show with a phenomenal closing angle.

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 1

MJF is on another level with his heel work. I loved the end of the lashes when Cody took the tenth one and MJF was all "SON OF A BITCH" because he realized not only did Cody survive, but he's now a step closer to that match at the PPV. Does Cody have to beat Wardlow in the cage to move onto the match with MJF or does he just have to have the cage match? I was wondering about that because they made a big deal out of Cody having to survive the lashes...not just taking them.

Also I loved Santana's promo on Moxley. It's a shame they don't have a working relationship with NJPW yet because they could really build on Moxley having a week from hell having to fight Minoru Suzuki this weekend then Santana looking to take his other eye.

• Like 3

Yeah that was a really good episode. I hope next week Santana gets a more competitive match against Moxley. Of the young dudes that have potential to breakout into superstardom in that team, Santana is the furthest along. Maybe let him kick out of the traditional Death Rider, and lose to the super one.