DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 2/5/2020

Dolfan in NYC

On the road to Revolution, more set up:

• Jon Moxley vs. Ortiz
  • MJF whips Cody Rhodes with 10 lashes (in Alabama... where this sort of thing...  nah, not going there.)
  • Young Bucks, Omega & Page vs Lucha Brothers, The Butcher & The Blade
  • Britt Baker vs. Yuka Sakazaki

I should just mute DZ now before this airs. 

• Like 4

I would use the whipping angle to put Brandi back with Cody by having her come out near the end of the whipping to beg it to stop. I think you can play that as ending the Nightmare Collective experiment and putting her back in a role where she was actually over. MJF can then get some extra heat on her involvement and fire up the angle after they've let the air out the last two weeks. Make her kiss the ring or something, don't whip her obviously.

• Like 5

Wow, that was a fucking awesome episode. Probably my favourite. The only thing that didn't land was the Janela/Sabian match and even that got the crowd invested by the end and it had the gnarly Death Valley Driver. The lashings probably could've been shaved by a few minutes but it was unique and MJF is such a piece of shit. That Wardlow whip was DISGUSTING.

Things that were great:

1. Darby with a flamethrower
  2. Brandi coming out at the end
  3. The 8 man tag was probably the best video game match the company has done because it had the psychology of the Page v Bucks stuff (Fenix continues to be out of position or get spots out of order in these matches though, something that's been going on since the shitty SCU match in Florida last year before Dynamite started)
  4. Hangman's magical pitcher of beer
  5. Britt Baker turning into a pretty great heel even if she's still no good in the ring
  6. SCU/Best Friends was very good and the following angle was too
  7. Mox/Ortiz was also very good, the angle with the car keys was nasty, and the Jericho promo was hilarious. Glad Santana picked up the mic and made it serious again tho.
  8. Pac/Kenny/Riho/Nyla angle probably leading to an intergender match?

Everything made sense. The crowd was fucking nuclear and in an old school way like last week's but way better. One of the better audiences to wrestle before, I imagine. I think this is what people had in mind for a WWE alternative and they're really starting to hit their stride.

• Like 5

Maybe I’m drinking the kool-aid here, but Brandi’s arc since she stopped managing Cody, formed the Nightmare Collective, went into therapy, and reunited with Cody is pretty smart in hindsight. They course correct in logical and simple ways and that’s admirable.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 7

Really good show from top to bottom.  They're doing the slow build for the Hangman turn, whereas he probably would've turned a month ago in the WWE.  Page almost comes across as sympathetic since all his friends treat him like shit for small mistakes, and they've driven him to drink more.  The guy is over everywhere but they really need heels on top.

The Moxley stuff was great and Santana's promo was straight fire.

Yuka's debut was nice, and I'd like to see more of her.  Baker wasn't as good as last week but she still seems way more confident as a heel.

SCU/Best Friends was fun, and the Dork Order still doesn't excite me much.  I'm wondering if many will even care when they reveal the Exalted One.  Daniels would be a let down, and I think it has to be a big surprise.  It'll probably still be Hardy, I imagine.

The whipping segment was amazing.  Such great storytelling.  Everyone coming out to encourage Cody was amazing, especially Brandi.  5 years ago, I would've never seen Cody being a top guy but his last year as been absolutely fantastic, and stuff like this proves he's a top guy.  Not to discredit MJF or anything, though.

• Like 4

Pretty sure there's no fucking way Page is turning at this point. He's going solo in order to be his own man. Having him go heel would be a microscopic version of turning Austin in '01 but way dumber because Page hasn't even come close to peaking by the looks of it, whereas Austin was stale as stale can be by that point and needed something fresh. Any of you fuckers misquoting me saying PAGE = AUSTIN and I swear... I SWEAR! 

giphy.gif

edit: ALSO, can we have it be a board mandate that when we say "DORK ORDER/ODOR" we do a Larry Zbyszko hand twirling bow?

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 6

Man this episode was fucking AWESOME. This is the type of shit I have been wanting out pro wrestling for so long. There's so much that lands or makes sense and they've made old school shit feel really new and fresh. Fuck, like, I'm just gushing over how good everything was.

Has anyone seen as big of a turnaround as Britt Baker? She went from being extremely shitty to being one of the best female heels in wrestling. She's really knocked it out of the park for three weeks  straight and you can't ignore that kind of progress. Also, it's way better to nail down the personality part of wrestling and improve in the ring than it is to be great in the ring and develop a personality. She has nowhere to go but up.

Loved that eight man tag, loved Hangman being like fuck all y'all I'mma do it myself, and then later having an entire pitcher of beer materialize in his hand like Doctor Strange put it there. You also had the Kenny stuff that stemmed from the tag match with Pac going after Riho to get to Kenny.

That main event angle. Damn. I thought it was really gripping stuff. At one point I hoped Cody would ask for a mic and do the whole, "thank you sir may I have ANOTHA!" If you going to borrow from wrestling's history, you may as well borrow the best stuff.

And then there's that Wardlow shot. Holy shit. Cody is going to be feeling this shit for a long time.

SCU vs Best Friends was fun and I fucking LOVE how Dark Order is being used to feud with SCU and even the Best Friends. This is the best use for Dark Order. Start low and work your way up. This was also the first time you could tell the Dark Order was over with the crowd.

The crowd ruled it tonight. They were into damn near everything. This has always been one of AEW's greatest strengths.

I can't wait until next week.

• Like 6

Shit, I totally forgot everything with Moxley, Ortiz, and Santana. Fun little match between Moxley and Ortiz and the ending angle with Santana leading to that promo from Santana that was straight fire was awesome.

Fuck, what a show.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

That main event angle. Damn. I thought it was really gripping stuff. At one point I hoped Cody would ask for a mic and do the whole, "thank you sir may I have ANOTHA!" If you going to borrow from wrestling's history, you may as well borrow the best stuff.

That's not really a moment of wrestling history.  Tommy was just quoting a scene from Animal House.

• Haha 1

Just now, sydneybrown said:

That's not really a moment of wrestling history.  Tommy was just quoting a scene from Animal House.

No shit. The angle of whipping Cody 10 times was very likely influenced by this angle from ECW. I didn't say anything about a moment and not sure why you felt the need to be pedantic.

9 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Shit, I totally forgot everything with Moxley, Ortiz, and Santana. Fun little match between Moxley and Ortiz and the ending angle with Santana leading to that promo from Santana that was straight fire was awesome.

Fuck, what a show.

For real though. I am buzzing and the show's been over for almost 45 minutes. Great professional wrestling is among the best things. If they can deliver this type of programming on a weekly basis I will be in wrestling heaven. The nice thing is they're pacing themselves in a way that this could last for a long, long time. Pac/PageOmega on free TV seems like craziness but they've done such a great job of building up Cody/MJF, Mox/Jericho, and The Bucks/Page'n'Kenny that almost anybody on the fence of buying the PPV is going to anyway because the main programs are so strong. They have so much more to tell with guys like Page, Omega, Pac, Allin, Jungle Boy, Jericho's reign could go another year and still be great, Orange fucking Cassidy, Britt, Riho, Shida, Statlander, etc. I thought Cody lost some serious steam after the last PPV but stuff like tonight is how you get that heat back, BRUTHA. 

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Oyaji said:

For real though. I am buzzing and the show's been over for almost 45 minutes. Great professional wrestling is among the best things. If they can deliver this type of programming on a weekly basis I will be in wrestling heaven. The nice thing is they're pacing themselves in a way that this could last for a long, long time. Pac/Page on free TV seems like craziness but they've done such a great job of building up Cody/MJF, Mox/Jericho, and The Bucks/Page'n'Kenny that almost anybody on the fence of buying the PPV is going to anyway because the main programs are so strong. They have so much more to tell with guys like Page, Omega, Pac, Allin, Jungle Boy, Jericho's reign could go another year and still be great, Orange fucking Cassidy, Britt, Riho, Shida, Statlander, etc. I thought Cody lost some serious steam after the last PPV but stuff like tonight is how you get that heat back, BRUTHA. 

100% all of this. I'm trying to think of the last time a PPV in the US had this good of a build up and down the card and I can't think of the last one. I'm becoming a believer in their PPV model.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

100% all of this. I'm trying to think of the last time a PPV in the US had this good of a build up and down the card and I can't think of the last one. I'm becoming a believer in their PPV model.

That one lashing from Wardlow has me so fuckin' pumped for the cage match too. That was soooo gross. MJF got some really good shots in but there was some bass to that Wardlow shot. If he works half as good as he looks, he'll be a mega star. They added some other good stuff beyond Pac/Omega iron man (got it right this time!) and Cody/Wardlow in the cage over the coming weeks too. 

Oh and shit, think of how dope it's going to be when Pentagon turns on Fenix and they get to do something meaningful other than have fun spotfests on TV. I honestly think they should do that after Revolution if they aren't going to win the belts anytime soon. Doesn't have to last forever and they could even make amends because blood is thicker than water and all that shit in the end. But yeah, Penta and Fenix are high on the list of guys they're just scratching the surface with.

@West Newbury Bad Boy was looking up Larry Z gifs and was shocked to see they didn't have his dinky twirl but was satisfied when I saw that instead. 

• Like 1