DVDVR Message Board

Super ShowDown III - 2/27/2020

Dolfan in NYC

3 minutes ago, (BP) said:

“I was the biggest box office star of 1939 and 1940.”

”Wow, two decades!”

Milhouse-Mickey-Rooney-Radioactive-Man.p

Speaking of 1939, don't they still fictionalize Mae Young wrestling in 1939 so people can say she has wrestled in X number of decades?

8 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Speaking of 1939, don't they still fictionalize Mae Young wrestling in 1939 so people can say she has wrestled in X number of decades?

This is the story I have heard, in a couple different versions. It's on her Wiki:

While still in high school, Young went to a professional wrestling show and challenged then-champion Mildred Burke when she visited Tulsa to wrestle Gladys Gillem. Because the promoters told her she could not wrestle the champion, she wrestled Gillem in a shoot fight, beating her within seconds. After the fight, promoter Billy Wolfe wanted Young to become a professional wrestler. She left home two years later to wrestle professionally. Young later traveled to Charlotte, North Carolina where she met and trained with The Fabulous Moolah and also met Ed "Strangler" Lewis whom told her "I don't like girl wrestlers, women should be in the kitchen, but after seeing you, you was born to be a wrestler"

She told a version of this story during her HOF induction.

Edited by grilledcheese
  • Thanks 1

Sad that Ricochet/Brock was every bit as disappointing as I expected. Hopefully Ricochet can get to AEW soon.

Watching this show* and Revolution a day apart, and it's starting to feel like 1996 up in here.

*Watching SSD means the finish of each match, and the entirety of the two title matches, for about 10 minutes of total viewing.