DVDVR Message Board

Super ShowDown III - 2/27/2020

Dolfan in NYC

7 hours ago, (BP) said:

Modern Goldberg is cool only in the sense that he wrestles like my brother and I would in the original Smackdown games where we’d just hit each other with the same move over and over until we won or the  other person flipped out and threw the controller. 

Now we call that “NXT Main Event” style.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, just drew said:

This is the dumbest fucking talking point. Even if ringwork mattered when it comes to picking a top guy, this whole “Bray Wyatt can’t work” thing has never been true. 

Not only that but think about the beatings he took as the Fiend and to be pinned by a shitty suplex?!  Come on WWE book better.  They look more like a dying company than a company trying to compete with AEW.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ComingToAmerica said:

I think we should move on to complaining about Ricochet. Seriously.

Seriously - you've got a guy who everyone knows is going to lose, but who could do a whole bunch of ridiculously athletic crazy flippy stuff in a sub-five minute match before eating a couple of F5s. There's absolutely no reason not to give him a couple of impressive spots before putting him down.

I don't know whether these Lesnar matches are Brock refusing to give dudes that he thinks are beneath him any offense, Heyman trying to build up some MMA style "any matchup can be over in seconds" vibe, Vince being Vince, or some combination of all three.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

Someone has either forgotten (or hell, at this point, wasn’t around for) Goldberg wearing Goldust’s wig and all the surrounding outrage.

IIRC, Edge has talked about the spear being a factor in his (almost) career ending neck injury, so this may be for the best.

I checked out of wrestling right at the Invasion up until 2015 or so. 

The Goldberg / Fiend match is perfectly fine if you look at it from the ironic context of a Jew beating a man running a devil gimmick in front of a predominantly Muslim audience.

Only Norse Mythology has had the balls to book a double count-out in and end of times showdown.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Ok, I'm not watching any of this but I have a few questions for everyone who is. First with the Fiend: I know people are craving something different and the presentation is cool and spooky and all that, but is this really an act that should be on top in 2020? I would say ever, but I'll leave that. It would seem to me that if the long term star is Roman then trying to put his presentation alongside the Fiend is just a bridge too far. I'm not saying you can't have Bray on tv as this character, but not as the top act. But having said that,

Wouldn't it just make more sense to run Goldberg/Cena at WM? You draw the nostalgia and you still move the program along with Bray and Roman. Maybe they thought a Roman/Fiend match wasn't "big" enough, but putting Roman over some turn of the century star is going to work? Again?

It is unbelievable to me that people in this thread mention how Golberg's shit is still over in 2020 (even to kids!) and instead of making their own they just go back and get the original.

1 hour ago, joseph2112 said:

Ok, I'm not watching any of this but I have a few questions for everyone who is. First with the Fiend: I know people are craving something different and the presentation is cool and spooky and all that, but is this really an act that should be on top in 2020? I would say ever, but I'll leave that. It would seem to me that if the long term star is Roman then trying to put his presentation alongside the Fiend is just a bridge too far. I'm not saying you can't have Bray on tv as this character, but not as the top act. 

If it's WWE then sure it could work.  But it would require them not fucking things up with spooky lighting and shit like that and having a boss that could help him see it through.  But Bray's got a helluva creative mind so if he was in pretty much any competent company then I'm sure he could be quite the world-beater.  In particular with the way Impact does their stuff he would be absolutely perfect for them.  And I say that as while I stopped watching late last year I still fondly remember what they with the likes of Rosemary and Su Yung.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I’ve said in the past that some wrestling companies(NWA) should go after those demos. I mean those shows are still on the air, so they must be making a profit. That shit isn’t for me, but that’s a lot of viewers in retirement homes that you could potentially be vying for.

Isn't that the opposite of the type of viewer they should want to attract?

So, I used to have a "12 hour rule" before posting whenever something irritated me this much, and I broke it. Never again. That one dude can still eat shit but if I was belligerent to anyone else, my bad. I think the problem I had with this show is twofold;

1. There are no stars on the current roster capable of filling a stadium for Wrestlemania. It's a byproduct of the over-reliance on part timers. Someone said a page or two back that "we're in the age of part-timers." Which is well and good, but the problem with nostalgia is that eventually you're going to run out of adults that loved what you're selling as kids. In twenty years, who on the roster is anyone going to be nostalgic for that can still go? New Day? Bryan? Cena? Most of those guys will be in their mid-fifties. 

2. The complete lack of long-term vision and grasp of audience as it pertains to who is on the roster. They continue their obsession with crowning Roman Reigns at Wrestlemania and having the crowd embrace him as their top babyface. We are past the point of that ever happening. I like Roman, and get what they see in him, but unless he starts spearing Make-A-Wish kids mid-ring, that audience is never going to pop for his Championship win. And, given his family connections, I'd be shocked if Reigns didn't make the jump to Hollywood in the next five years, leaving the WWE right back where they started, except with even fewer options. Meanwhile, the Fiend is the most interesting character they've had in ages. Was it a mistake to hotshot him to the title when Rollins was floundering? Maybe. I think it was FAR more important to get the title off of Rollins than to get it on Fiend. I'd have gone with Corbin, Samoa Joe or Mysterio, but that's me. In any case, the unwillingness to read their audience is what's led to this; sticking the title on a 50 year old part timer in the blind hopes that the crowd at Mania will only shit on him and not the entire match/situation. 

Meanwhile, AEW's got a great show this weekend. Cheers to them.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Isn't that the opposite of the type of viewer they should want to attract?

If that report is true, then they are trying to go after the 3 million total viewers that watched Goldberg on Smackdown. They didn’t have a demo break down, but I’d bet you a lot of those extra people aren’t in the key age group.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

19 hours ago, RIPPA said:

To go back to the "who was more bothered to be there" - my vote is for these two

She did less than Ricochet and will probably get to put in a new pool or buy a Lexus with her check. I'd fly fifteen hours each way for that.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Speaking of things that aged spectacularly well, Goldberg in WCW is absolutely amazing to watch now. He was sloppy, but he was so explosive, so charismatic, so God damn impossibly strong, and so fucking over that even in early 2001, he was the best thing in wrestling.

He took Bret Hart's in-ring career and health away from us and him. I like Goldberg plenty for what he is but at the same time fuck Goldberg.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

If that report is true, then they are trying to go after the 3 million total viewers that watched Goldberg on Smackdown. They didn’t have a demo break down, but I’d bet you a lot of those extra people aren’t in the key age group.

They're not wrong to chase that temporary bump because there's not much else they're sacrificing. I'm just saying that long-term, I wouldn't recommend modelling your entertainment product on what hooks those closest to the grave.

On the other hand, fuck it: Tom Selleck for Universal Champion. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

On the other hand, fuck it: Tom Selleck for Universal Champion. 

Magnum T.A.: Fuck, we’re both about the same level of physical uselessness. Give me the belt, dammit!

Honestly if Harrison Ford died tomorrow, I want them to try to do Indy 5 with Tom Selleck. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Ricochet didn't even get a dropkick before he got squashed. Undertaker beat AJ with a chokeslam he struggled to get on a guy who weighs less than me. The most overly-overpowered character of the last 20 years gets punked out by a 53 year old part timer in 5 minutes, just so they can build to a face vs face, spear vs spear match that no one wants to see. Bahahahaha! 

AEW Revolution on Saturday guys, come join the party. It's like they want AEW to succeed.

Edited by King Leonidas Of Sparta
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, just drew said:

So, I used to have a "12 hour rule" before posting whenever something irritated me this much, and I broke it. Never again. That one dude can still eat shit but if I was belligerent to anyone else, my bad. 

Never again will you be a dipshit? I don't think that's even possible.

8 hours ago, J.T. said:

Only Norse Mythology has had the balls to book a double count-out in and end of times showdown.

Not quite true. Odin put over Fenris Wolf, but they gave the mega Push to Odin's son who was less over. The territory died like all the others in Europe when Vince went national... I mean, Christianity took over. 

I had a really long text about the Goldberg stuff, but somehow it got deleted. A lot of things were said in the meantime. 

Things I still wanna say:

- "The Fiend kicked out of numerous spears" makes no sense to me. There might be the odd match here or there, but Goldberg doesn't finish with the spear, he finishes with a Spear followed by a Jackhammer. 

- Once Goldberg went for a cover after a spear I was 100% sure he'd win with a single Jackhammer. Like everyone else. No idea how the Fiend looked particularly strong here. 

- NOTHING was sold by anyone. The moves weren't sold, there were no emotions portrayed and not even the fact that Goldberg won the title was sold by the Man himself. 

- Goldberg lacked all the intensity that MADE his career. It looked like a dude in impressive shape for a guy his age cosplaying as Goldberg. And by cosplaying I mean hitting spears and a Jackhammer. 

Btw, I once saw a Norton vs Goldberg Match which may be my favourite four minute match ever. 

Edited by ReiseReise
  • Like 1