DVDVR Message Board

Super ShowDown III - 2/27/2020

Dolfan in NYC

4 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Well here's my question, is Goldberg actually moving the needle?

I'm not a huge Conor McGregor fan, but I can see why the UFC wants to freaking book him in a title match in every division. When he fights, other than maybe Khabib right now, he's their top global draw.

When Goldberg puts on a shit show like this, does it actually move the needle in a meaningful way?

Someone may have already said this I didn't read anything prior.  Nobody on the WWE roster moves the needle.  Goldberg moved the needle on Smackdown a little bit.  And that was enough.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Well here's my question, is Goldberg actually moving the needle?

Dana White, is that you?

9 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

When Goldberg puts on a shit show like this, does it actually move the needle in a meaningful way?

When you don't have PPV buys, nothing moves the needle. In terms of ratings though:

Despite his brief appearance during Friday's WWE SmackDown on FOX, WWE Hall of Famer Bill Goldberg brought a big ratings boost for his return to TV last week.

It was noted on Wrestling Observer Radio that the quarter with Goldberg's "live via satellite" appearance was "through the roof" and the biggest quarter SmackDown has had in a long time. Dave Meltzer noted that he doesn't get full data on the quarters for SmackDown, but he does receive data for the top 10 markets.

The quarter with Goldberg's appearance, which was interrupted by WWE Universal Champion Bray Wyatt, drew around 3 million viewers. The quarter also featured the brawl with Roman Reigns and King Baron Corbin, but the draw in the segment was Goldberg, who was good for an increase of around 19%.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1

Poor Edge. The year he picks to come out of retirement for a Mania match he’s going to be told to keep his most over move to a minimum so Reigns and Goldberg can spam it 12 times in 7 minutes. He’s got the worst spear of the three of them, but still. 

Modern Goldberg is cool only in the sense that he wrestles like my brother and I would in the original Smackdown games where we’d just hit each other with the same move over and over until we won or the  other person flipped out and threw the controller. 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

We'll see..   it's one thing to pop a little rating when you haven't been around in a long time.  

Who is out here popping ratings though? So to me, calling it "little" is somewhat dismissive.

47 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I think Brian means when they were doing that shit where they were taking all the stars off TV and when Eric was going to presumably get ownership, he was going to bring everyone back. He was one of the last absolutely over people in WCW at the miserable end.

How could Goldberg be the best thing in wrestling in 2001 when he wasn't even in wrestling in 2001? That's like saying Eddie Gilbert was the best thing in wrestling in 2001.

4 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Who is out here popping ratings though? So to me, calling it "little" is somewhat dismissive.

I guess Triple H and Stephanie were on RAW so USA kept wanting to have them back on TV.  It's... not good.  I don't believe rolling 50-somethings out there year after year is the right move for the long term but for Tampa I guess it will work,  they're struggling to sell tickets so..  

But back to the long term forecast.  At some point they need to commit to something..    You see all those Bellator comeback fights haven't done much for their business.  People get tired of seeing old dudes be half as good as they once were. 

18 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

How could Goldberg be the best thing in wrestling in 2001 when he wasn't even in wrestling in 2001? That's like saying Eddie Gilbert was the best thing in wrestling in 2001.

I said during the time he was still there, even at the start of 2001, he was the best thing in wrestling. Which, granted, was only a few weeks, but my point was, even when WCW was dying, he was still fucking awesome.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

How could Goldberg be the best thing in wrestling in 2001 when he wasn't even in wrestling in 2001? 

Did @Brian Fowler actually say that? I don't think he was saying that. Anyway, you should ask him. I was trying to make sense of what he was saying.

9 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

You see all those Bellator comeback fights haven't done much for their business.  People get tired of seeing old dudes be half as good as they once were. 

6 minutes ago, Casey said:

I'm on the anti-Goldberg bandwagon here, but I swear I read an @Elsalvajeloco post in the last few weeks that said Bellator actually turned a profit last year or something.

Speaking of Fowler, yeah in the WWE Finances thread, we were discussing that. But as far as Bellator business goes,  the reason for them turning a profit in 2019 is the DAZN deal and they will for the next two years (including this year) due to that.

It's hard to compare Bellator to WWE because first off, WWE can maintain a presentation and illusion that these old people are still stars. Bellator can't mostly due to fact that people know they have very few elite fighters. If they fed Fedor or somebody like that to a big new rising star, it would be different. However, they don't have that guy. WWE, despite not making legit drawing cards, still has brand recognition that a Bellator probably will never have.

I think the more logical comparison would be like UFC on Fox when they had some of their past their prime fighters on FS1 and whatnot. As someone who had to track those ratings in the MMA forum, I can say that the old guys always did decent business. However, none of those dudes were like a Goldberg who was at one time one of the five biggest stars in pro wrestling. So it's still not a perfect comparison.

3 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I said during the time he was still there, even at the start of 2001, he was the best thing in wrestling. Which, granted, was only a few weeks, but my point was, even when WCW was dying, he was still fucking awesome.

*pats self on back*

1 minute ago, Casey said:

My brain can't process the idea that someone thinks Goldberg was the best thing about wrestling in 2001. Or 2000. Or 1999.

I mean, I know, different strokes and all, but... fuck.

That was two decades ago. Dude, I loved the Patriot in 1997. He could have said something much worse.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Really.. is this how we're doing this?  "Guys listen.. there was no other way than to put over a 53-year old part timer.  There's nobody else."  Except for the 100+ guys they have under contract for what reason? 

I guess the defense is "they aren't Goldberg.."   Yup because WWE has shit the bed with each and every one of them. 

I don't think Goldberg is a great choice, but I don't think he is such a terrible one either. I think any of the other other 100+ guys would have likely suffered for the win opposed to it actually raising their stock. I also wasn't saying there wasn't a better choice per say. I was legit just curious what people would have preferred to see. 

4 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

If Fiend vs. Reigns is cold as ice, what is Goldberg vs. Reigns? It must be absolute zero.

To people that haven't watched wrestling in a decade? A bigger deal than any two current guys would be. I'm trying to put myself in their shoes to understand. The Fiend is pretty cool. Most everyone watching today at least enjoys the firefly funhouse segments. But the cap of people watching these days is 3 million. The cap of people watching when Goldberg was hot shit was 10 million. It's not crazy to think putting a big name from a previous era vs a big name from this era could conceivably pull in some of the viewers that don't watch anymore.

Wrestlemania 32 tickets were selling poorly until Shane McMahon vs The Undertaker was booked. THAT moved tickets. That's the type of thought process they're using. It's irrelevant who would have a better match quality wise. (Which I truly believe actually *is* Goldberg vs Reigns, if Wyatt is in boring no sell mode). It's also irrelevant if his jackhammer is impressive to you, you're already watching.

Just now, NoFistsJustFlips said:

To people that haven't watched wrestling in a decade? A bigger deal than any two current guys would be. I'm trying to put myself in their shoes to understand. The Fiend is pretty cool. Most everyone watching today at least enjoys the firefly funhouse segments. But the cap of people watching these days is 3 million. The cap of people watching when Goldberg was hot shit was 10 million. It's not crazy to think putting a big name from a previous era vs a big name from this era could conceivably pull in some of the viewers that don't watch anymore.

Wrestlemania 32 tickets were selling poorly until Shane McMahon vs The Undertaker was booked. THAT moved tickets. That's the type of thought process they're using. It's irrelevant who would have a better match quality wise. (Which I truly believe actually *is* Goldberg vs Reigns, if Wyatt is in boring no sell mode). It's also irrelevant if his jackhammer is impressive to you, you're already watching.

Goldberg actually appearing live on Smackdown last week amounted to maybe about a handful of more viewers. He's not getting ratings up in a meaningful way. 

If Goldberg winning actually means Smackdown jumps up to Smackdown next week say five million viewers and doubles its key demo numbers, I would say you have a point.

However, the numbers since this Goldberg storyline started from what I can tell are negligible and I see no proof that Goldberg is having a positive impact on ratings and viewership.

3 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Goldberg actually appearing live on Smackdown last week amounted to maybe about a handful of more viewers. He's not getting ratings up in a meaningful way. 

If Goldberg winning actually means Smackdown jumps up to Smackdown next week say five million viewers and doubles its key demo numbers, I would say you have a point.

Okay I ain't no math genius or nothing, but you want a man to almost double the ratings?

What the fuck are you talking about, man? Are you not well?

4 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Maybe you missed this post :

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Despite his brief appearance during Friday's WWE SmackDown on FOX, WWE Hall of Famer Bill Goldberg brought a big ratings boost for his return to TV last week.

It was noted on Wrestling Observer Radio that the quarter with Goldberg's "live via satellite" appearance was "through the roof" and the biggest quarter SmackDown has had in a long time. Dave Meltzer noted that he doesn't get full data on the quarters for SmackDown, but he does receive data for the top 10 markets.

The quarter with Goldberg's appearance, which was interrupted by WWE Universal Champion Bray Wyatt, drew around 3 million viewers. The quarter also featured the brawl with Roman Reigns and King Baron Corbin, but the draw in the segment was Goldberg, who was good for an increase of around 19%.

They are struggling to gain viewers. No one is gaining viewers. So when someone's appearance hits 19% growth, they pay attention. It's a big deal.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Maybe you missed this post :

They are struggling to gain viewers. No one is gaining viewers. So when someone's appearance hits 19% growth, they pay attention. It's a big deal.

If Goldberg is the only thing that can pop a quarter hour at this point for WWE, then this company is truly lost. 

• Thanks 1

Let's not forget, this company legit couldn't figure out how the fuck to use Goldberg in 2003.

Vince fucking Russo was incapable of fucking up Goldberg (though Lord knows he tried his damnedest with that "wouldn't go up for the powerbomb" worked shoot) but McMahon did it effortlessly.

• Like 1