DVDVR Message Board

Super ShowDown III - 2/27/2020

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, Casey said:

I didn't like The Fiend at all, but man, what a way to just put a complete stop to any momentum that character might have had. Undefeated since, what, August? And this is how it ends? So Reigns can beat Goldberg at WrestleMania for the title?

Oh man.

So how would yo have ended the Fiend's reign?

24 minutes ago, Eivion said:

So how would yo have ended the Fiend's reign?

Unless someone overtook him for merch sales recently, Wyatt is their number one merch guy. I would have had him go over Roman, turn baby and go over all the heels and build towards Fiend-Brock.

But if I was going to take the title off him because he no longer needed it, I'd basically do a rerun of Royal Rumble 94.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Fiend was finished as soon as he pulled out the mallet at HIAC. Goldberg/Reigns is the money match. All of those cool firefly funhouse vignettes did not translate into good in-ring performances, aside from the Bryan match, and I mean let's face it, Bryan could probably have a good match with anyone on this board. 

Ricochet/Brock was hilarious. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

Bray's momentum ended the second the bell rang and everyone remembered that he ABSOLUTLY SUCKS in the ring.

This is the dumbest fucking talking point. Even if ringwork mattered when it comes to picking a top guy, this whole “Bray Wyatt can’t work” thing has never been true. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 7

The notion of a money match in 2020 is questionable, unless they do indeed do the ESPN thing.

But there's a decent chance the crowd will shit all over the Goldberg-Reigns match. I'm not guaranteeing it, but there's a decent chance.

People are complaining about Wyatt's in ring performances, when we know he can wrestle just fine - whereas we know, absolutely know, Goldberg can't and we know pretty much exactly what his match with Reigns will be like.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, just drew said:

This is the dumbest fucking talking point. Even if ringwork mattered when it comes to picking a top guy, this whole “Bray Wyatt can’t work” thing has never been true. 

Name me a match with Bray where he wasn't the worst guy in the match.

• Like 1

There might be points to be made for the switch. But well... for me you literally buried everybody with that even further. Even the Saudi-crowd shit all over this, it felt like. I really think I'm out. Going to cancel the Network. They probably won't care, but neither do I. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ComingToAmerica said:

The notion of a money match in 2020 is questionable, unless they do indeed do the ESPN thing.

But there's a decent chance the crowd will shit all over the Goldberg-Reigns match. I'm not guaranteeing it, but there's a decent chance.

People are complaining about Wyatt's in ring performances, when we know he can wrestle just fine - whereas we know, absolutely know, Goldberg can't and we know pretty much exactly what his match with Reigns will be like.

You mean a cool ass sprint like Brock/Goldberg was? Or 20 minutes of Fiend control segments to deafening silence? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Raziel said:

Name me a match with Bray where he wasn't the worst guy in the match.

No, because this shit is subjective. You’re over here wanting to grade a match move by move. Gtfo with that GLF neckbeard bullshit. I’d rather watch Bray be in character and do shit that makes sense than Ciampa and Gargano do every movez in the book for an hour and have it mean absolutely nothing. Say “Bray is t my cup of tea, not “Bray Wyatt sux.” Id at least respect that.

3 minutes ago, just drew said:

No, because this shit is subjective. You’re over here wanting to grade a match move by move. Gtfo with that GLF neckbeard bullshit. I’d rather watch Bray be in character and do shit that makes sense than Ciampa and Gargano do every movez in the book for an hour and have it mean absolutely nothing. Say “Bray is t my cup of tea, not “Bray Wyatt sux.” Id at least respect that.

Strictly speaking, there are Wyatt matches where he wasn't the worst one because there are tags that involve a very green Erick Rowan - plus multimans with Baron Corbin. 

In terms of 1 on 1, most of the good Taker matches are against a better opponent. There are arguable exceptions later in his career (Edge is the one that springs to mind), but it's not like he was working miracles against schlubs.

Just now, ComingToAmerica said:

I wouldn't personally consider it to be that cool, but Goldberg was actually more capable then than he is now. 

Roman is far more capable in executing the archetypal Goldberg match and working around Goldberg's limitations than broken down Taker (Goldberg was knocked out 5 minutes into the match) and Bray Wyatt. Roman is winning, the Jackhammer doesn't even need to be used. 

My whole point is that in ring work just doesnt fucking matter. There’s 75 guys on their roster right now who can turn in good to great matches on the reg and no one gives a flying fuck. Ratings are shit. Performers want to leave. Their cultural footprint is negligible at best. Every boon period in the last forty years has been brought about by compelling, larger than life characters cutting strong promos. Hogan. Savage. Austin. Rock. Foley. Undertaker. Not an ace worker in the bunch. Only guys who were allowed to connect with their audience. But please, tell me more about Brays ring work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1