DVDVR Message Board

AEW - Feb 2020

Elsalvajeloco

29 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

So when can Brodie Lee start? I’m now guessing he’ll be Matt Hardy’s muscle as the leader of the Dark Order.

I think March. The rumor was he’d debut at the New York show since I guess that is his hometown.

• Like 1

Brandi was on WOL today and here's the recap from dj_convoy on their board:

Not going to recap everything, but the gist of the Nightmare Collective stuff is that Kong is physically beat up, and Brandi realized that the NC wasn't coming off they way she wanted it to. She made the decision to do the "therapy" videos to kind of explain some of the NC stuff, since there hadn't been a lot of time on TV to explain it. The door isn't completely shut, and Mel and Luther might have their own angle coming out of it, but Brandi's part of it has been put to rest for now. Brandi didn't think she was a good fit for the angle and wasn't happy with how it was unfolding. Hopefully, this puts paid to the whole thing and she doesn't have to keep talking about it any longer.

Mel & Luther = ?

44 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Brandi was on WOL today and here's the recap from dj_convoy on their board:

Mel & Luther = ?

Unless I wasn't listening closely, I don't think she necessarily said Mel and Luther are getting their own angle. Just that they are still in AEW basically. That's how I took it.

According to Brandi, Kong came up with the hair idea and it kinda snowballed from there with different people trying to contribute their ideas. It only made it worse in Brandi's opinion, Kong couldn't get cleared, and Brandi put it an end to it. There you go.

8 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

Really impressed with their ability to redirect or outright kill things that aren’t working - Nightmare Collective gone, Britt Baker redirected, even what they’ve done with Hangman after the tepid response to him being in the original title match.

Word. If McMahon was booking this, Sammy G would still be in panda gear.

• Says the biggest lessons that he’s learned running a company thus far are how to provide structure to talent that aren’t ready to come up with their own ideas or promos, and how to be diplomatic/speak to each other when negotiating or disagreeing on creative ideas.
  • Says with the new TV deal, Cody feels like they have a partner with Warner Media moving forward and analogizes their relationship to that of Warner and the NBA. Says internally their best metric, moreso than quarter-hour ratings, is merch sales and Jericho is their top seller.
  • Cody says Orange Cassidy, Joey Janela and Luchasaurus all have notably high merch sales. Also shouts out that merch for the women sells well when traditionally (presume that means in WWE) women’s merch doesn’t sell as well as men’s.
  • Says he is impressed by Darby Allin’s ingenuity, professionalism and that he always talks to the camera guys to get them on the same page for his ideas. Says Darby is always in the ring having matches with himself and guys that do that tend to succeed in the business.
  • Says he relishes going to lesser-trafficked cities and they did 3,100 in Huntsville which, as Jim Ross would say, is ‘a really good start.’ Says he is generally a pessimist so he was realistic about the feasibility of filling buildings week after week.
  • Says in 2020 they have to start making international steps and specifically names London and Manchester as musts. His goal would be to do a mini-tour in Europe and it would be a good experience and bonding opportunity for the locker room.
  • Says because he was also producing the show, he and Dustin worked out a lot of their match beforehand with QT Marshall as a coach/agent. He says he will probably never watch the match back. “It got five stars, I don’t know if you know that.”
  • Says the criticism that too much story stuff happens on the vlogs is a valid one and they are working to strike the right balance in 2020. They like integrating the character pieces but they also promised that the TV show will have a lot of action and tell stories in the ring.
  • Says their infrastructure is ready for the third hour but they haven’t yet done a long-form determination with Warner about what format that will take. They may experiment and he said Tony was thinking about a showcase for the younger talent. Probably won’t be just Dark on TV.
  • Asked about a secondary title, he asks what do you do first, a women’s tag title or a title that’s not unlike a television title? He says they have an idea that’s different and hasn’t been done but he asks that people be patient because they’re taking things slow.
  • Credits Adam Page for the Hangman act that’s currently catching on and says that’s all his unique sense of humor. Also says Page is hard to read and he’s not really sure if Page likes him.
  • Says they pretty much are planning six months out at minimum for top acts. “Real inside stuff here but it is the Observer.” Other guys they have four-week plans for and they flow more improvisationally.
  • Says social media is tricky and as the “guinea pig generation” for it his personal feelings on it change. Difficult to tell the difference between 3 people tweeting 1,000 times and 3,000 actual people. Says he mostly wants to use it for positive things like the AHA initiative now
  • He implies there is some communication with New Japan already since they are using Mox and Jericho. Says as an ex-WWE guy, NJPW paid him much more than they paid other guys (meaning Kenny and the Bucks) who had struggled there so he did not have the same negative feelings.
  • Echoes Nick Jackson on the topic of a working relationship and says they are “open for business” but both companies are focusing on their brands. Laughs at Jericho saying the “forbidden door” line - “you’re on their show bro! It’s not some forbidden thing.”
  • “You can’t get in any bubble, you can’t be in a New Japan bubble, you can’t be in a WWE bubble, you can’t be in an AEW bubble. If you’re truly going to live the spirit of All Elite Wrestling you’ve gotta keep your mind and your eyes and your ears open to all that’s out there.”
  • Says “open for business” again and “I’m sure there will be some discussions” but he doesn’t think they’ll ever do a “dual show“ because he doesn’t like that concept. “Everyone’s still got each other’s phone numbers and everybody’s still in contact.”
  • Dave suggests the idea of individual talent exchanges where people just come in from time to time to spice things up and Cody says that would be music to his ears. The end!

Cody on the Wrestling Observer Live with Meltzer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

If it basically worked like WCW/NJPW in the nitro era, except with AEW and the fans both obviously treating the Japan guys as a big deal instead of roster fodder, that would be great. Excursions, occasionally big crossover matches, etc.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

If it basically worked like WCW/NJPW in the nitro era, except with AEW and the fans both obviously treating the Japan guys as a big deal instead of roster fodder, that would be great. Excursions, occasionally big crossover matches, etc.

Not to say "I told you so", but given what was being discussed in the Feb 2020 discussion thread regarding the Garden show, Cody said exactly what I was saying. After listening to the actual interview, he said it more emphatically than I could ever say it. If you're using Moxley and Jericho, there is a relationship. Whether who signed with what company first is irrelevant. I was kinda surprised he was as emotional about the Jericho line because it sounds like he probably wasn't clued in on that which is...interesting. Jericho is either out here freestyling or Cody is just absolutely tired (Meltzer in his effervescence, continued to add layers of his already never-ending question) about people making the New Japan relationship seem like a hip hop beef in the nineties. 

• Like 1

This was a little more than a year ago and the wrestling opinionz 4 u in there are, yeesh, not good.

The discussion in the general wrestling thread made me do a search to look some stuff up and I wound up coming back to that thread. All the talk about Cody, or the EVPs being selfish Kliq-ish bookers, and other stuff is pretty funny to look at now.

I signed up for the All Elite Fleet thing when we went to the first Dynamite show and recently got an invite to join a Ringsiders service.  Anybody part of the Fleet get this invite?  I basically had to do a survey stating how much I watch and once approved they had me login to their site.  So far it's just people posting random thoughts about various wrestling companies but they are going to offer surveys and stuff as time goes on.  Not sure how much this stuff will actually have an effect but I'm willing to give it a shot.

55 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I signed up for the All Elite Fleet thing when we went to the first Dynamite show and recently got an invite to join a Ringsiders service.  Anybody part of the Fleet get this invite?  I basically had to do a survey stating how much I watch and once approved they had me login to their site.  So far it's just people posting random thoughts about various wrestling companies but they are going to offer surveys and stuff as time goes on.  Not sure how much this stuff will actually have an effect but I'm willing to give it a shot.

I signed up for it as well.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

How dare they not ask about the video game. Kenny said by the end of last year. Does this mean we are not getting an AKI game after all? ?

Considering Syn Sophia is still doing the same old shit and the end of the year came and went without a peep from Kenny, I'd say that whatever is going on is still in the planning stages. I think I posted about it before, but the American company that could have done it was Volition, but a lot of the folks there interested in wrestling have moved on.

Pickings are slim to find a developer to make a wrestling game now. It's possible, POSSIBLE, that Yukes could be that partner since they're still interested in making wrestling games and were restrained by all of the 2K/VC bullshit. 

I'm still assuming we'll find out around April.  E3 isn't nearly the show it used to be but whether it's around that time or sometime after I think that'd be when they make an announcement.

All I know is considering Kenny's heavily involved I feel very confident that whenever we find out about it it's going to pretty awesome.

6 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

people making the New Japan relationship seem like a hip hop beef in the nineties. 

Omega, the Bucks, and Meltzer have all implied NJPW has tried to screw over Omega and keep him out of Japan despite no evidence. This stuff isn't coming from nowhere.

6 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

If you're using Moxley and Jericho, there is a relationship.

Jericho and Moxley basically have high level contracts that allow them to work as mostly proper independent contractors so no it doesn't necessarily mean a real relationship. It basically sounds there isn't shit there yet as far as an actual deal is concerned, but they are a lot more open to the idea of one now than they were a year ago when the departure was fresh.

Something people really need to keep in mind is that Cody tries very much to be more civil and professional about this stuff publicly than Omega, the Bucks, and even Khan.

Edited by Eivion