DVDVR Message Board

AEW - Feb 2020

Elsalvajeloco

I know I'm preaching to the choir here but I really did love that JR and Tony team way way back.  I saw most of that stuff later in my preteen years as I'd rent a lot of Crockett tapes but they played off one another so well,   it's the closest I can think of in terms of sounding like a real sporting event. 

But Ventura is the best because he was able to play off every play-by-play guy as he had great chemistry with all of the guys he worked with and he was also able to do his heel commentary in a realistic and convincing manner but then ALSO sell the audience on how great the babyface is and what the story of the match is... 

Show me another guy who could do all that and do it effortlessly. 

• Like 4

Cody Rhodes on AEW's Steel Cage and his moonsault from the top:

Cody spoke to Sports Illustrated about his steel cage match against Wardlow from last week’s Dynamite: “The cage has to be lowered, that was my rule. So I ended up with the highest cage I could possibly get, and that cost me. I’m terrified of heights. That’s why my eyes are closed. I thought about it all day. Tony Khan was adamant that I didn’t do it. I’ve never seen a boss like him and how he leads, and the way he cares about his investments. Too many people were trying to talk me out of it. Typically, I’m by the ‘Go position’ during our show, but I stayed away.”

I swear Ventura worked with Okerlund a few times. So if that’s the case, then Ventura worked with one bad partner. Yes, we all love “Mean” Gene, but Gene could not call on commentary at all. He could never pitch up his voice in big match situations, and made for some very bland calls during a lot of marquee matches at these big arena shows from the 80’s. 

That gimmick Battle Royal on the Wrestlemania years ago, where they bought Okerlund and Heenan back to commentate... and as soon as Bobby sits down he goes right into autopilot and says "Great to be back Tony" and Mean Gene is all "Tony? Who the hell is Tony?" and JR gets to smirk about someone else messing a name up for once... 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah. One reason was definitely Tony not telling him anything (in the book he said Tony always said "knowledge is power" yet shared nothing) but overall I think everything converged into a perfect storm, to where the only time he was happy was like during the Mexican death match where all three of them were laughing at it. 

I definitely remember this from the book (he actually had 2 books out)  I remember him saying Tony was a Producer and had first hand knowledge of what would be happening but he wouldn't tell anyone. He also said Tony had his chair set up higher than Heenan and Tenay's. as a power move.   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I know I'm preaching to the choir here but I really did love that JR and Tony team way way back.  I saw most of that stuff later in my preteen years as I'd rent a lot of Crockett tapes but they played off one another so well,   it's the closest I can think of in terms of sounding like a real sporting event. 

But Ventura is the best because he was able to play off every play-by-play guy as he had great chemistry with all of the guys he worked with and he was also able to do his heel commentary in a realistic and convincing manner but then ALSO sell the audience on how great the babyface is and what the story of the match is... 

Show me another guy who could do all that and do it effortlessly. 

we have a comic con out here in April and Jesse is actually one of the celebs attending. Thinking of going just to meet him. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Casey said:

I don't know if it was mentioned but apparently the toy line will be available at Wal-Mart this summer. That's pretty big.

It is big but it also depends on how they handle distribution.  With WWE's figures it's very hit and miss as some might have a few or a couple but others would be damn near empty.  The retro and MOTU-style figures they had/have would hardly be on the shelves and it's not due to them being insanely popular.  I'm hoping that the AEW figures have better luck with distribution than WWE's have been having lately.  Me personally I'll stick with Ringside's site and maybe this one Target nearby that seems better stocked than others.

Schlegel?!  I blanked on that being him when watching last night but holy crapola, man.  I knew he was huge into wrestling to the point that he would do stuff for MCW.  But I had no clue AEW was considering him.  Must have been a result of whatever was going on around Full Gear but I would be thrilled to death if he's a regular for them.

Of course if he would be full-time it would affect the morning so it'll be interesting to see what they do for that.

When I first heard it I thought he was killing his morning gimmick but then it was Spiegal I was thinking of.  Now him interviewing Dustin that would have been a hoot

Orange Cassidy in full gimmick eating extremely hot wings is a treat.   By the way a game show based on eating hot wings?  I don't see that making the BUZZR network in about 30 years.

Edited by hammerva

9 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I swear Ventura worked with Okerlund a few times. So if that’s the case, then Ventura worked with one bad partner. Yes, we all love “Mean” Gene, but Gene could not call on commentary at all. He could never pitch up his voice in big match situations, and made for some very bland calls during a lot of marquee matches at these big arena shows from the 80’s. 

He did, but it was mostly local shows (like the MSG, Spectrum, Maple Leaf Gardens stuff) or OG Prime Time Wrestling stuff.  

I have 9 of the sauces from Hot Ones, including the Last Dab. Either the sauce was gimmicked or OC is as cool as Trevor Noah when it comes to eating the wings of death (Trevor ate all 10 wings without taking a drink of milk or water or anything and shrugged off how hot everything was). 

And while I love Hot Ones on YouTube, a game show for it seems kinda lame.

3 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

It is big but it also depends on how they handle distribution.  With WWE's figures it's very hit and miss as some might have a few or a couple but others would be damn near empty.  The retro and MOTU-style figures they had/have would hardly be on the shelves and it's not due to them being insanely popular.  I'm hoping that the AEW figures have better luck with distribution than WWE's have been having lately.  Me personally I'll stick with Ringside's site and maybe this one Target nearby that seems better stocked than others.

All the other stuff the company does has really good distribution.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I have 9 of the sauces from Hot Ones, including the Last Dab. Either the sauce was gimmicked or OC is as cool as Trevor Noah when it comes to eating the wings of death (Trevor ate all 10 wings without taking a drink of milk or water or anything and shrugged off how hot everything was). 

That could be a South African thing. Their spices can be interesting...

19 minutes ago, Eivion said:

How did Charlize Theron fair?

About the same as everyone else. She didn't tap out, suffered with Da Bomb, then made it to the end.

EDIT: There's science to this though. Da Bomb purely exists to be painful. There's no good flavor to it having tried it myself. Anyway, when people on the show get to that one, their brain goes into panic mode because something is definitely fucked up. Even though the new Dingo sauce and the Last Dab are hotter than Da Bomb, there are other flavors to those and your brain and body have already gone through that state of shock and so the last one or two aren't as bad as Da Bomb. That's why so few people suffer with the last one.

Edited by Craig H