DVDVR Message Board

AEW - Feb 2020

Elsalvajeloco

Theoretically, if they brought a "midcard" title into the mix this year, how would they do the rankings for that? As in, why would someone like Moxley be in the World title rankings with a 5-0 record or whatever, and you have Jungle Boy in the midcard rankings with the same win/loss record. How would they explain that? Do the guys choose which title division they'd be in? "AEW management"? Right now it's easy since you have one singles title, so everybody's win/loss record counts towards that one title.

Just a random thought.

Edited by Casey
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Casey said:

Theoretically, if they brought a "midcard" title into the mix this year, how would they do the rankings for that? As in, why would someone like Moxley be in the World title rankings with a 5-0 record or whatever, and you have Jungle Boy in the midcard rankings with the same win/loss record. How would they explain that? Do the guys choose which title division they'd be in? "AEW management"? Right now it's easy since you have one singles title, so everybody's win/loss record counts towards that one title.

Just a random thought.

It would go off of who has the best losing record. In order to keep the title Nakazawa has to lay down in tag matches.

5 minutes ago, Casey said:

Just a random thought.

What if they had relegation, and promotion? So if you finished in the top 10 of records you’d qualify for a potential chance to be competing for the AEW title in 2021. While people that fell into the bottom 10 or more will only get to compete for the secondary belt in 2021. At the end of the year the bottom five of world title rankings will switch places with the top five rankings of the potential midcard belt(including the champion) for 2022.

1 minute ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

What if they had relegation, and promotion? So if you finished in the top 10 of records you’d qualify for a potential chance to be competing for the AEW title in 2021. While people that fell into the bottom 10 or more will only get to compete for the secondary belt in 2021. At the end of the year the bottom five of world title rankings will switch places with the top five rankings of the potential midcard belt(including the champion) for 2022.

I think that's why they don't want to do another singles male title or a secondary/midcard title for that reason. It makes sense that they don't want to have a belt just as a device or a means to make it feel like a wrestler is good but just not good enough to be world champion or contend for the world title. From the WOR interview, Cody definitely didn't seem too hot on that idea. I mean Meltzer made the point about the IWGP HW title and the Jr. belt recently in regards to Will Ospreay and how it feels like it's about graduating people when you should be trying to keep the Jr. division strong as opposed to a wrestler leaving for good and for greener pastures with the big names.

In my opinion, they don't want it to feel like a particular wrestler has been promoted (or demoted) when you can give that person a rub with a surprise big win or upset on television that you've built up. You don't need a Television/National/U.S./North American/IC title to do that.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Casey said:

Just a random thought.

Well it's 1 and 1a. I would say that there is one #1 Contender that can choose who they wish to go up against. You can then add to the rules that the AEW World Championship has to be defended at a minimum 1x / quarter, whereas the 1a AEW Championship has to be defended monthly. The 1a AEW Champion also reserves the right to challenge for the AEW World Championship at their leisure... think of it like the Money in the Bank Breifcase.

Archer is a really good pick up for AEW. Whoever said it I agree with them Archer would be the perfect gatekeeper. What I would really love to see if a trio of Minoru Archer and DBS JR as a mini Suzuki-gun in AEW.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kafkonia said:

I never thought I'd see the day when people were this hyped about a national US company signing half of the Rock'n'Rave Infection. I assume his time overseas polished him?

Archer has grown into a pretty awesome big man. And it wasn't an overnight surprise. Maybe you weren't paying attention to all the praise he was getting right here on this board? 

11 hours ago, kafkonia said:

I never thought I'd see the day when people were this hyped about a national US company signing half of the Rock'n'Rave Infection. I assume his time overseas polished him?

5 hours ago, Infinit said:

Archer has grown into a pretty awesome big man. And it wasn't an overnight surprise. Maybe you weren't paying attention to all the praise he was getting right here on this board? 

Now I'm not saying his stock in wrestling rose in tandem with his decision to cover up the tramp stamp, but I'm not not saying it, either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don’t know. I kinda dug in the early 10’s when he added extensions to the tramp stamp. The real reason his stock went up was because he finally filled out. For so long he was a bit of a sexy beanpole tomboy, but then in Japan the man just grew, and showed so much more personality. I was definitely on his bandwagon prior to last year. I mean of the two in the Killer Elite’s, I thought DBS was the best in singles matches. Or at least I thought the top workers played off him the best. But Lance is so much more of a character, and it’s helped a lot that New Japan became a company of heavyweight  juniors in the last few years, rather than true heavies of the past, which DBS benefited more from.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

So are they dropping the name Inner Circle in favour of Painmaker Posse? Or is there a planned turn angle upcoming where that becomes two different groups?

9 minutes ago, AxB said:

So are they dropping the name Inner Circle in favour of Painmaker Posse? Or is there a planned turn angle upcoming where that becomes two different groups?

Nah, I got the impression it's just a joke name to go along with the MMA feel of the rest of the presentation.

• Like 1

I have to admit, I actually like the Painmaker Posse name a lot. It fits the silliness that Jericho likes to dip into. It’s a shame The Inner Circle came first.

Hey, isn’t Leonardo DiCaprio a wrestling mark? Jericho can probably use his Hollywood ties, and get Leo’s Pussy Posse in on this with Y2J. I’m sure Leo, and Tobey would love to play dipshit heels on a wrestling program.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Bull Of The Woods Championship.  Instead of a title belt they get a hilariously oversized cowboy boot and maybe a cowboy hat too.  Like the TV title with 1 fall, 10-minute time limit matches but with each victory Tony Khan shoves a wad of money into the boot.  Champion can cash out and take the money and run or choose to keep the title and let it ride for double the bonus money with the next defense and the bonus money continues to double with each defense.  Champ retains on a draw but receives no cash bonus.  If the champ loses then they lose the entire pot to the challenger as well.

• Like 1

I’m trying to think what would be a great alternative title. A ring would be terrible because it’s too small, so you can’t see it on camera. A crown is too silly. But honestly there was a time... No, you know what it’s still possible to do the crown. But it always needs to be accompanied by a belt. The best way to do it would be if every champion won a crown along with their belts, and they’d be given a Royal decree along with it. So Men’s World = King, Women’s World = Queen, Men’s Secondary = Prince, Women’s Secondary = Princess, Men’s Tag Team = Dukes, and Women’s Tag = Dutchesses.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs