DVDVR Message Board

AEW - Feb 2020

Elsalvajeloco

I just want to see all the red herrings show up and be all obnoxious about knocking back such a group of losers, and kinda incredulous to think they'd even consider it in the first place.

Then there's confusion as to what they actually said, and the Egg-salted One, turns out to be Hector Guerrero as The Eggman.

Or just basically end up being The Trio from Buffy.

Edited by RolandTHTG

Man, that's really good news.  What a good story.  Wrestling seemed to have left a bad taste in his mouth but he came back to do podcasts and a few spots here and there to pay for his daughter's wedding.  Now he's working full time for a non-shitty major promotion and seems really happy with how it's working out.

Now if we could just do something about JR, who is turning into Ed Whalen before our eyes. 

• Like 6

I don't know if you've read Heenan's book but Bobby BURIED him in there. I mean he straight hated him, and said that Tenay hated Tony too. There was like a whole chapter of shitting on Tony and his time in WCW. 

Now, Tony seems like a nice guy to me, but if you read what Heenan said about him in that... whew. It's kinda jarring too, because he comes right off some touching stuff about Gorilla and Andre and then just goes into character assassination mode. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

Allegedly Bobby was always mad that Tony wouldn't clue him in on what was going to happen, though I imagine it's not really Tony's fault.

There are shows, especially when the ship starting going down, where the two of them just clearly hated each other.

Maybe some guys just don't click together. It's a shame, because they were occasionally great together.

• Like 2

I thought Marko Stunt Vs. Jimmy Havoc was the best match on this episode. Jimmy is so lame that I can buy a 50/50 match between these two. Hell to be honest I thought Marko should’ve went over. The falls count anywhere match turned out better than I expected. I expected Joey doing another those epic matches I just don’t buy him in on this stage. Instead they did a more standard no holds bard match with some cutesy stuff thrown in. Still not good enough for Dynamite, but okay for Dark. The strong Hearts tag match was a let down. Both teams weren’t giving it their all, but at least the right team won. Dustin Rhodes tag match was what it was. That being Dustin Rhodes, and 3 JTTS’s.

Weakest episode of Dark in recent weeks. I guess too many guys were booked for Dynamite. So outside of the Dark Order, there wasn’t anybody else who’d you’d consider important pieces now, or in the future of the main show. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

3 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Apparently the bitterness stems from Tony not calling him after Bobby was fired because management told him not to.

In Bobby's book, he mentions Tony not wanting him to acknowledge Gorilla Monsoon's passing on the air since Monsoon was a WWF guy.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

In Bobby's book, he mentions Tony not wanting him to acknowledge Gorilla Monsoon's passing on the air since Monsoon was a WWF guy.

Tony literally throws it to Bobby during the intro. I think Bobby was just lashing out at Tony in his book.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

4 minutes ago, Dewar said:

Tony literally throws it to Bobby during the intro. I think Bobby was just lashing out at Tony in his book.

I don't think there was any one reason because I've heard all of those explanations.

The Keep It Simple, Stupid version would be Bobby eventually got tired of WCW because it wasn't WWF, his drinking became more of an issue because of it, and he came up with any and every reason to dislike anyone in WCW that wasn't an ex WWF guy he was close with.

I love Heenan like everyone else, but that was him in a nutshell.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 3

Yeah. One reason was definitely Tony not telling him anything (in the book he said Tony always said "knowledge is power" yet shared nothing) but overall I think everything converged into a perfect storm, to where the only time he was happy was like during the Mexican death match where all three of them were laughing at it. 

On 2/21/2020 at 4:07 PM, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Get a generational superstar first, then Cody can be your great heel again. For now though, it’d be silly for Rhodes to turn. That would be Russo level dumb.

Mox, Darby, and Hangman are all candidates for that. 

So, I only watch Dark (because it's on Youtube), and only started a few weeks ago. In the Janella/Sabian feud, is Janella the good guy? Because this was my first exposure to it, and the whole time all I could think of was how Penelope kept risking her safety to attack her ex/protect her man and so Janella must have been a real asshole to her when they were together. And that kendo shot to end the match looked like it caught Sabian right on/behind the left ear. Ouch.

I also dug the main event storylines weaving together - QT and Peter Avalon wind up opposite sides after their ill-fated team up, Spears continuing frustration with his revolving door of tag partners leads to QT getting his first win. Would have liked a bit of Dustin/Tully interaction, but you can't have everything.