DVDVR Message Board

AEW - Feb 2020

Elsalvajeloco

The Dark Order angle at the end of that episode wasn't even bad or anything (unless you just don't like the Dark Order, period). What soured seemingly everyone about it was the phantom punches, then everyone lost their collective minds about it and they had to take a step back and reevaluate the entire thing. Kudos to them, though. They didn't shy away from mentioning that part of the show closing angle (well, online anyway).

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Web Conn said:

If Matt Hardy, Brodie Lee and The Revival all show up in AEW what do they do?

I would program them with all their pet projects in the tag division. People forget that the Revival essentially got the Vaudevillan’s, Enzo & Cass, and American Alpha roster spots just by making them look like the second coming of all the tag teams they modeled themselves after. Just think what they could do with Jurassic Express(Luchasaurus & Jungle Boy), Private Party, Best Friends, and maybe even The Hybrid 2 who are floundering as heels.

Mentoring the future was their job in a lot of ways, and they haven’t really done that(or it’s less obvious on TV) since they got called up.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

It seems like most of the tag teams are “shades of gray” rather than aligned along a clear face/heel dynamic. So I would have the Revival come in and tease a Bucks confrontation, only to have a clear heel team jump the Revival to serve as their first real feud and hold off the first Bucks match for either All Out or DoN.

My first thought for the heel team would be H2, because I think Revival could get them over and could be good bases for them. But the more I think about it, I think Spears and a partner may be a smart choice. They obviously know each other, and if the Revival can’t get Spears over, no one can. You could also use that feud to align Revival with Arn. (Which is also part of my “Instead of Arn turning on Cody, he corrupts him into being the Flair of a new Horsemen group” fantasy booking.)

Edited by JonnyLaw
  • Like 3

I may have things mixed up, but I thought one of the dudes in the Revival would be out of his contract around March and the other would be months later, after May even, so I don't think the Revival are an option until this summer.

29 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I may have things mixed up, but I thought one of the dudes in the Revival would be out of his contract around March and the other would be months later, after May even, so I don't think the Revival are an option until this summer.

This sounds familiar to me too. I think it was one of those extended-due to injury things from when one of them had their knee did

Arn being a quasi Sith Lord and turning Cody to the dark side would actually be cool. Arn and Tully get Cody and Spears to kiss and make up and Spears becomes Cody's "enforcer" and the Revival join them to go to war against The Elite. Not the worst AEW fantasy booking I've heard.

• Like 4

Cody is such a great babyface though and that is a license to print money. Admittedly, Arn turning Cody to the darkside after Cody loses a big match by showing him vet corner cutting is a great story but one I hope they don't tell for years. I doubt Arn and Cody lasts another 6 months so I'd rather go with the more predictable Arn turn than spoil what they have in Cody anytime soon. 

They've announced Janela vs Sabian Falls Count Anywhere for Dark on Tuesday. And on Wednesday, Moxley and Jericho have a pre-match weigh in.

I know weigh ins are getting further and further ahead of the actual fight, but FOUR DAYS? Besides which, I don't think the AEW Men's Heavyweight division has (either an upper or lower) weight limit, and even if there was, I don't see either man being close to too big or too small.

48 minutes ago, AxB said:

I know weigh ins are getting further and further ahead of the actual fight, but FOUR DAYS? Besides which, I don't think the AEW Men's Heavyweight division has (either an upper or lower) weight limit, and even if there was, I don't see either man being close to too big or too small.

Silly sounding segment. I’m expecting Jericho to wear something super ridiculously under his robe. Really next week sounds super angle heavy, with the Ironman being the only real wrestling heavy segment. Wonder how that will go. Yesterday I was thinking they might have Page cost Kenny the winning fall by throwing in the towel, but they just did that a couple of months ago with Cody Vs. Jericho.

Has there been any suggestion of them having Kenny vs Pac and Page/Kenny vs Bucks at Revolution, or was I just assuming when Pac blackmailed him into the rubber match that it'd be at the PPV? Having Omega do a Bret Hart/Daniel Bryan with two matches in one night would be a good way to further establish him as AEW's super worker, but I guess the Pac match works as a ready made Dynamite main event if not.

Edited by SturmCRF

PAC Vs. Omega is just for Dynamite. We’ll see how that will lead into Revolution, and the following shows. I have this sneaking suspicion that PAC will go over, and challenge the winner of the AEW title match after Revolution. I don’t know what the plan for Omega, and Page is. Omega has really deemphasized himself as the flag bearer of the promotion, and probably wants Page to pick it up for him. So they have set up a few possibilities, with the most obvious being a match at Double or Nothing between the two. The other possibility is that they end up further cementing their alliance. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

On 2/21/2020 at 12:41 AM, Casey said:

The Dark Order angle at the end of that episode wasn't even bad or anything (unless you just don't like the Dark Order, period). What soured seemingly everyone about it was the phantom punches, then everyone lost their collective minds about it and they had to take a step back and reevaluate the entire thing. Kudos to them, though. They didn't shy away from mentioning that part of the show closing angle (well, online anyway).

I love the Dark Order.  I love their moveset, and I like how they eat their opponents offense.  I think Uno is hilarious and cat like in ring.  Grayson is a goddamned machine, and his bizarre look is perfect for this bizarre team.  I absolutely love them, but that angle, like their debut, was all wrong and out of place.  I didn't even notice the phantom punches till the gifs went viral.  What I did notice was a mid-card act (along with enhancement talent) taking out a bunch of top level babyfaces they had no business toppling.  All that said, if the original plan came thru, and Marty Scurll debuted, I don't think we'd be talking about this epsiode being weak.  

If Matt Hardy indeed is revealed as the darkly odorous 'Exalted One' it'll be interesting to see how they work it.  He's obviously going to get a mega huge sympathetic reaction from the AEW faithful. 

On 2/21/2020 at 5:47 AM, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I would program them with all their pet projects in the tag division. People forget that the Revival essentially got the Vaudevillan’s, Enzo & Cass, and American Alpha roster spots just by making them look like the second coming of all the tag teams they modeled themselves after. Just think what they could do with Jurassic Express(Luchasaurus & Jungle Boy), Private Party, Best Friends, and maybe even The Hybrid 2 who are floundering as heels.

Mentoring the future was their job in a lot of ways, and they haven’t really done that(or it’s less obvious on TV) since they got called up.

I like this idea.  I've only seen one Revival match in full - v Gargano and Ciampa from Toronto; which was one of the best matches I've ever seen.  I'm seeing the Arn turn on both Rhodes with the debut of Wilder and Dawson.  And money matches to follow.

17 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Get a generational superstar first, then Cody can be your great heel again. For now though, it’d be silly for Rhodes to turn. That would be Russo level dumb.

Yes, thank you.  Cody's got some years ahead.  Let's get that heel turn in for no sooner than 2021 or 2.