DVDVR Message Board

AEW - Feb 2020

Elsalvajeloco

2 hours ago, Godfrey said:

I’m not a figures guy. Would those be a good investment?

I’m not a figures guy either but I’d say to only buy them if you really want to collect them and not think about price. Because 5-10 years from now (or sooner) they won’t be worth as much as you paid for them. 

With that said I will be buying them all haha. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, matt925 said:

I’m not a figures guy either but I’d say to only buy them if you really want to collect them and not think about price. Because 5-10 years from now (or sooner) they won’t be worth as much as you paid for them. 

With that said I will be buying them all haha. 

It really depends on the figure.  If it was one of the earlier ones (Hasbros, LJN, etc.) there's certain ones that will be worth much more over time.  And if there's a variant for some odd reason then it goes up more.  Heck, even the modern WWE figures go up in price such as the first Pete Dunne and Aleister Black figures.  For selling initially at $20 they're still at least $80 on eBay and similar sites.

But all that said I approach it as if it's worth me paying hard-earned money to have displayed somewhere then I'll just go ahead and get it regardless of value.  Luckily I've been pretty picky lately which is fine since I'm sure these AEW figures are going to put a fair-size dent into my wallet.

1 hour ago, Uncle Coaster said:

I did not enjoy AEW at the beginning and gave up on it. After reading such positive reviews lately I’d like to give it another try. Is there a certain episode they started a good storyline in that I should use as a starting point?  

I would honestly say start from the beginning but 40 hours is a bit much for most people (20 episodes times 2 hours)  For leading up to Revolution I believe the shows from New Years on would be enough to bring you up to speed with everything.

And I'm with you all in loving the episode.  They're on such an incredible roll and with only 20 episodes so far they're just getting started.  Shit, if they keep things going the way they are imagine how it'll be this time next year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Uncle Coaster said:

I did not enjoy AEW at the beginning and gave up on it. After reading such positive reviews lately I’d like to give it another try. Is there a certain episode they started a good storyline in that I should use as a starting point?  

Last weeks Austin episode.

• Like 1

If Hangman Page turns heel because he didn't get an action figure when all of his friends (and the guy he headlined All Out against)  did...

2 hours ago, Uncle Coaster said:

Honestly, start wherever you left off. Everything builds and builds. It's not like there weren't bumps along the way and the last episode of 2019 ended with a thud, but everything in 2020 has been anywhere from really good to incredible to best shit that's been done in years.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Uncle Coaster said:

I feel like they’ve been on fire since the first of the year. I’d start back in January and catch up if you like what you see. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

January were good episodes. The last three in February have been instant-classic episodes. I do wonder if they will have a better time of resetting after a PPV. They struggled to fill time after the last one I felt. What lessons did they learn? That was also before TK took  a more active role in booking though, so maybe now that there's a coherent and consistent voice running through the show it won't be as much of a problem. 

A couple of extra thoughts:

1 - Tag match was also awesome. If he can get the execution down I think the Sliding Lariat could be a good finisher for Hangman further down the road. I actively dislike Bryce as a ref now, he’s awful.

2 - The women’s division is really coming together now. Britt was good on commentary. Statlander and Swole are logical challengers and a three way is a great showcase for them. 

4 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Apparently Cornette said AEW needs to use Nyla's trans status to get heat. Because, of course he did. 

Nice to see he learned from the whole Gangstas/SMW fiasco...

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Apparently Cornette said AEW needs to use Nyla's trans status to get heat. Because, of course he did. 

That's not even the worst of it. Brian read him some of Val's dip-shit thoughts, and Corny basically endorsed it as a great way to get heat and work an angle. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

That's not even the worst of it. Brian read him some of Val's dip-shit thoughts, and Corny basically endorsed it as a great way to get heat and work an angle. 

The reason why Cornette and Sullivan are great friends I'm guessing is because they both book for nothing but heat even at the detriment of the company.

• Like 1

If Matt Hardy, Brodie Lee and The Revival all show up in AEW what do they do?

Everyone seems to want Young Bucks vs Revival right away. I understand why it’d be a good match. I do think they should wrestle sooner rather than later. I’m sure when/if The Revival show up they’ll build it for a PPV be cool to see it at Double or Nothing. I hope they don’t hotshot the tag titles on either team. I think the first match should be for beefing rights and beefing rights only way to establish the tag division as something bigger than the Championship. I want Kenny and Page to Champs for a while tease the riff as long as you can they are having great matches as a team. Ideally I’d like to see Revival vs Kenny/Hangman at All Out Revival win hold the tag scene for a year Bucks get their mojo back and unthrone the Revival at All Out 2021.

Brodie Lee is a little more tricky. They are beefing up the roster with Cobb, and strongly rumored Brodie and Brain Cage (eventually) plus Hager Dustin Luchasarus already on the roster. Does Brodie go after Hager immediately  and does he go over? I’m assuming Hager is beating Dustin but I’m also expecting a fucking awesome fight. Do you have Brodie come out in Rochester and B line straight for The Heater?

Matt you just leave him alone and let him have his Stevie Wonder Synth Years and are what new heights he takes The Broken Universe.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

If Matt Hardy, Brodie Lee and The Revival all show up in AEW what do they do?

Hold off on the Arn turn until The Revival show up, pair them up immediately. The feud w/ The Elite is built-in.

AEW's Big Guy roster is, well, bigger than people are giving credit. Hager, Luchasaurus, Wardlow, The Butcher, the quietly 6'6" Dustin, potentially more Jeff Cobb and the upcoming debuts of Brodie Lee and Brian Cage = a lot of proverbial and literal meat on the bone. Do you stick Brodie with a faction? I could see him rolling with the nebulously defined Darby & Mox alliance. The only heels that need that kind of muscle are Dark Order. He could join up after the big reveal happens, but it might play a little to close to his Wyatts shtick.

Speaking of which, I have no clue what you do with Matt as I'm not a fan of the Exalted One buzz, I think it would run too close to the Broken stuff and make the whole angle the wrong kind of corny. The "Shawn Spears needs a tag partner" thing? Mentor of Madness for a Janela or Havoc? Maybe he could stand in opposition to the Dark Order as he's the only one who's loopy enough to match their mind games and could be a veteran presence to lead the jobbers they've targeted. You could mix Broken stuff with Mattitude-era guru skits.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 2

If Brodie is meant to debut at the Rochester show, and the Exalted One is "near", then I think that's where they're going with this. You can't hold off for too much longer on the Dark Order stuff before it just gets tiresome, waiting for them to reveal the leader. 

As far as The Revival go, I'm still not entirely convinced that they won't eventually re-sign with WWE.

If Hardy comes to AEW, I say just let him go bonkers with Broken stuff if that's what he wants to do. WWE was scared to go balls out with it like Impact did, I don't imagine AEW will have that same hesitation. It'll piss off the same people that don't get Kris Statlander, or hate Joey Ryan/Orange Cassidy, but who cares. Dynamite is a rasslin' show first and foremost, they've proved that already. Now lean towards the other side, just a little bit, and see where that takes you.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Casey said:

If Brodie is meant to debut at the Rochester show, and the Exalted One is "near", then I think that's where they're going with this. You can't hold off for too much longer on the Dark Order stuff before it just gets tiresome, waiting for them to reveal the leader. 

As far as The Revival go, I'm still not entirely convinced that they won't eventually re-sign with WWE.

If Hardy comes to AEW, I say just let him go bonkers with Broken stuff if that's what he wants to do. WWE was scared to go balls out with it like Impact did, I don't imagine AEW will have that same hesitation. It'll piss off the same people that don't get Kris Statlander, or hate Joey Ryan/Orange Cassidy, but who cares. Dynamite is a rasslin' show first and foremost, they've proved that already. Now lean towards the other side, just a little bit, and see where that takes you.

Wrestling can be both fun and SERIUZ BIZNESS and I think for a lot of people that hate Kris or OC or Joey Ryan or whoever don't get that. Like, Meltzer is a good example. He hates all of the shit with Kris, I don't think he understands why OC is as over as he is, but he wants a more serious pro wrestling presentation. If you listen to people on Busted Open, they did the shit and understand there's a balancing act there, it's a delicate one, but it has its place if its done well.

I enjoy some of the goofier stuff because it usually leads to something cool. For example, you think Kris is going to boop Nyla on the nose, instead she points at the title, and the crowd goes OOOOOH! and I'm sitting there thinking "fuck yeah!"

• Like 2

I can't remember the last "bad" episode of AEW but I feel it was maybe the last episode of December but even then was it really all that bad.  They've probably only had a couple bad episodes and a couple "ehhh" and the rest have been good to great to classic..     

This run through February has been probably the best shit I've seen in 20 years. Who knows. 

• Like 1