DVDVR Message Board

AEW - Feb 2020

Elsalvajeloco

11 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Nothing says dastardly heel than doing a meet and greet. I hope MJF stays in character. 

You must've missed when he did the local news here in Champaign. One of the interviewers got a "don't touch the scarf" and Cody physically moved him to the opposite side of them haha. The clip got posted on here (and she actually did touch his scarf)

Edited by Curt McGirt

On 2/16/2020 at 1:19 PM, Technico Support said:

I took Wesley Snipes' advice and bet on black.  Lost twice in a row, $20 each.  Last time I take advice from a guy who gambled against the IRS.

Taking financial advice from Wesley Snipes is probably not the best idea....

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Dewar said:

Conrad ran Starrcast into the ground by running four of them within a 16 month period. If they were losing money as well, it's definitely not worth the extra work for him and his staff. 

true on all accounts. Plus they run them in places that these guys already have been to. Maybe if he were to wait and run in say Toronto, or Montreal, maybe Pittsburgh or Cleveland,  he can get a huge crowd. We never have huge conventions in Pittsburgh or Buffalo really and these are big wrestling cities.  I actually ordered the Starrcast pack on Fite which included the previous casts and I honestly wasn't that impressed. Most of the stories had already been told in shoot interviews. Hell even the CM Punk interview/ppv wasn't very telling. He said that if Vince or HHH wanted to talk all they had to do was call him.  Nothing ever really came of it. To even have that as a seperate ppv was a money grab as it led many to believe he would be appearing at AEW that same night. 

38 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

To even have that as a seperate ppv was a money grab as it led many to believe he would be appearing at AEW that same night. 

"Money grab?" The whole reason there isn't another one is because it's too costly. I'm sure Conrad had to pay out the ass to get Punk there, he has to at least try to make his money back. Also: anyone assuming for no reason at all that AEW would book Punk to appear as a surprise kind of deserves whatever they get. A company trying to get off the ground in a cutthroat industry would promote a Punk appearance. The only wrestling company that would do a "surprise" Punk return is the one that likes to piss away money.

56 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

"Money grab?" The whole reason there isn't another one is because it's too costly. I'm sure Conrad had to pay out the ass to get Punk there, he has to at least try to make his money back. Also: anyone assuming for no reason at all that AEW would book Punk to appear as a surprise kind of deserves whatever they get. A company trying to get off the ground in a cutthroat industry would promote a Punk appearance. The only wrestling company that would do a "surprise" Punk return is the one that likes to piss away money.

every single wrestling company to ever exist has been known to piss money away.  Punk having his first major interview in years on that show had to be pricey. I'm sure Conrad knew this and made some of if not all of his money back.  A good promoter who used to frequent this board once told me "don't become a promoter if you want to make money"

• Like 1

I'm super glad it took ten minutes for the World's Greatest Tag Team to beat a pair of job guys who couldn't even get along.  At least they got to do the routine indy standoff where the pay off is nothing.

13 minutes ago, Casey said:

It doesn't.

Because it's a dark match.

Is your argument that its a dark match so it doesn't matter or that they're telling the story that The Bucks are slipping?  Because I don't think it can be both.

I think it can be both. It can have a story that doesn't have anything to do with moves going on inside the ring. The Bucks are cocky as shit, talking on the house mic during the match, and taking way too long to beat two jobbers. That's the story of the match, and the story of those two in AEW from the beginning. You saying "point to something in that match that tells that story" isn't possible, because the literal entire match is telling that story. Do you need the announcers to point it out for you? Isn't that what everyone dogs on WWE for, them holding the audience's hand and telling them obvious as hell things?

• Like 2

To recap ->

Me: Bucks are supposed to be really good but can't beat a team with no wins between the two guys, who have never teamed to my knowledge and where they aren't getting along in under ten minutes.

You: The Bucks are slipping in storyline and are frustrated.

Me: Where is that in the match?

You: It's not in the match, because its a dark match.

Me: So which is it?

You: Both.  It's a dark match that doesn't matter and I can't point to anything specifically but the whole match and the entire history of the promotion makes my point. Do you want them to hold your hand?

It was a tune up match. They were using it to get in the groove of things. Did you see anything in their body language that suggested they were in any danger of losing at any point? Anything that suggested they were actually trying to win, and failing to do so?

You can win an MMA fight in dominant fashion, control every minute of every round, and still go the distance. Doesn't have to be a first round KO to be a dominant win.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, caley said:

Val Venis is a weird dude.  One time he worked an indy here in Kelowna, left before his match to come back with a towel with the Canadian flag featuring a marijuana leaf and walked it all around the ring.  After losing his match, he got on the house microphone and gave a long, weird rambly speech about the Big Valbowski's rules for success (which was really funny as he was in this tiny rec center, could no longer wear his tights because he's so out of WWE-shape so he wears a pair of shorts that hang below the towel he still wears and a t-shirt) and you could see the people in charge scrambling around, trying to figure out if they could turn off his mic or get him to wrap it up.  After that appearance, I 100% believe that he beleives what he said about Nyla is okay, but that he also might not remember having said it.  (PS: He signed a photo for my brother and it was so illegible, the ongoing joke is that he wrote "Buttfully yours, Val Venis."

Checking his Twitter I'm very sure he remembers saying it as he doubled down on that quite a bit afterwards.  And his stuff before that wasn't good either.  But at least I had multiple tweets to cite when reporting him to Twitter (won't do much good but it's the principle of it all)  No wonder Cody said he's not welcome anywhere near AEW.

Oh, and Dark was pretty great.  Statlander laid it in some more and looked impressive, and I hope the Brazilian woman against Swole gets signed (blanking on the name at the moment)

16 minutes ago, Casey said:

Christi Jaynes

Her and Diamante are good additions to the roster - if they've been signed.

Thanks.  Yeah, I like Christi and the way they talked about her training it sounds like she's likely either signed or about to be.  And Diamante would be a very welcome addition to the roster.