DVDVR Message Board

AEW - Feb 2020

Elsalvajeloco

That’s on The Butcher. His job in tag matches should be the guy who tosses people around, and then tag his partner back in to do the technique offense. He has gotten better in recent weeks, since it’s the first time I’ve really noticed him throwing his weight around like the bulky heavyweight he is.

Edit: Okay, I do also think the agents should’ve stepped in too. I hope the past couple of weeks is a sign that the officials are more in control of the structure of these matches.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

That’s on The Butcher. His job in tag matches should be the guy who tosses people around, and then tag his partner back in to do the technique offense. He has gotten better in recent weeks, since it’s the first time I’ve really noticed him throwing his weight around like the bulky heavyweight he is.

Edit: Okay, I do also think the agents should’ve stepped in too. I hope the past couple of weeks is a sign that the officials are more in control of the structure of these matches.

This is true and speaks to AEW's issues with having wrestlers work to their roles. Guys like Andy and Luchasaurus bump too often and their tag matches aren't built around their strengths, they work just like any other guy just bigger (although Lucha is pretty good hot tag but he could be better). I think in an effort to be egalitarian in their booking they've inadvertently robbed themselves of some bigger moments down the road. They could have gotten a month or two out of people trying to knock Andy off his feet alone.

Which leads me to: I wonder how they'll book the next Dynamite with both Wardlow AND Cobb debuting, both bad ass heels who shouldn't lose right away against top faces who shouldn't either. Same thing as Butcher and the Blade and they blew most of the mystique they had in their first match and got rid of the rest in the second. Cobb's a free agent so I suppose he doesn't have to be protected as much but if Wardlow is going to be an ongoing heel he can't look like a schmuck yet.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Considering how well the strapping went, it's obvious the audience loves them some strappination.  I'm voting for the secondary title be contested solely in Yapapi Starp Matches.  RATINGS!!!!!

yapacation2.gif

NUMBER ONE

(and Fuck Ho Kogan)

5 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

I know you guys love my hot takes, so here's another one: no one should bleed in that cage match.

No you are wrong again.

• Haha 4

21 hours ago, Dewar said:

Roulette is a mother fucker of a game to play.  I prefer to play poker. 35 dollar buy-in tables. Could usually last long enough to feel like I got 35 dollars worth of entertainment and drinks. 

I took Wesley Snipes' advice and bet on black.  Lost twice in a row, $20 each.  Last time I take advice from a guy who gambled against the IRS.

21 hours ago, AxB said:

why compete head to head for the less than 2 million viewers, thus cutting your possible live audience into (potentially less than) half?

The goal was to eat into AEW's audience to make them look bad to TNT, who would then cut them loose.  Instead, AEW got a decent contract way ahead of schedule.  Occasionally, the plans of shitty human beings go horribly awry and that does my heart good.

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I’m curious what kind of cage they’re using. Chain link, or bars?

Going by Cody's predilection for keeping it old school, it's gotta be chain link.  Probably no "escape the cage" bullshit, too.  I'm okay with all that.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 5

If I was booking the cage match, I wouldn’t let Cody win, but I wouldn’t let Wardlow win without MJF getting involved somehow. Maybe the cage match never really starts, and it’s just an ambush by Cody, Wardlow, and B&B&B. Dustin, and his friends come to rescue him to tease an eventual Match Beyond. Probably not with all those wrestlers involved, but something close to it.

I don't think they're going to bait and switch on a match they've been hyping for around two months. It's going to happen. If Cody isn't beating MJF at the PPV, he should just barely survive Wardlow through cunning. If he's winning at the PPV (doubtful), then Wardlow can win.

13 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I don't think they're going to bait and switch on a match they've been hyping for around two months. It's going to happen. If Cody isn't beating MJF at the PPV, he should just barely survive Wardlow through cunning. If he's winning at the PPV (doubtful), then Wardlow can win.

Wardlow had slammed a guy through the ring in a cage match a couple of years ago. I could see them doing something similar to end this match without an actual winner and to not have Wardlow eat a pin on his first match. 

Any idea for a finish to the cage match that doesn't involve one wrestler clearly winning (throw through the cage, slam through the mat, schmozz, interference, act of God, etc etc) is a bad idea.  It's a new company's first cage match.  One thing they don't need is some WWE style, keep everybody strong, god forbid anyone eats a pin and goes under, bullshit.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3

The ending I expect is the go to ending Cody loves to use. That being the small package flash pin. Cody’s almost like Flair, where most of his wins come off of roll ups, and not with his finisher. So Wardlow takes 95% of the match, and through cockiness, Wardlow gets pinned while trying to go for his finisher two times too many. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Probably that, yeah. I am interested if the idea is MJF cheats to win at the ppv... How on earth do they get to a rematch if ever? If it took all of this to get a singles match, why would MJF ever want another match and what would Cody have to do to get it? There is no authority figure to force MJF's hand. If they just book it, it comes off as the babyface abusing power. I kind of love it because it makes this match have all of the stakes and feel incredibly important. A strange feeling. Also, do you want your no.1 or 2 babyface losing two PPV matches in a row in order to solidify MJF? If Cody were to win, I think it's safe to assume that they wouldn't do to MJF what they did to Spears. It would also then give us a reason for a second match. 

• Like 1

Maybe the old standby that Santana and Valentine made famous, where Cody is climbing out, and he kicks the cage door into Wardlow's head to keep him from getting out the door. Has it been implicitly stated that Cody has to win in order to get the PPV match? They can always do the finish of the towel being thrown in to save Cody from eating a pin. Or, MJF can nut shot Arn and throw in the towel, so the ref think it was Arn and screw Cody that way.

18 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Probably that, yeah. I am interested if the idea is MJF cheats to win at the ppv... How on earth do they get to a rematch if ever? If it took all of this to get a singles match, why would MJF ever want another match and what would Cody have to do to get it? There is no authority figure to force MJF's hand. If they just book it, it comes off as the babyface abusing power. I kind of love it because it makes this match have all of the stakes and feel incredibly important. A strange feeling. Also, do you want your no.1 or 2 babyface losing two PPV matches in a row in order to solidify MJF? If Cody were to win, I think it's safe to assume that they wouldn't do to MJF what they did to Spears. It would also then give us a reason for a second match. 

I'm thinking that MJF wins when Arn turns on Cody. The Andersons seem to have a history with turning on the Rhodes'.

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Any idea for a finish to the cage match that doesn't involve one wrestler clearly winning (throw through the cage, slam through the mat, schmozz, interference, act of God, etc etc) is a bad idea.

I don't know, act of God could be interesting. Does AEW have the special effects budget to have Wardlaw be struck by lightning?

• Haha 1

Man this feels like a big mistake. DoN will eventually sell out but no one will still be in town by Wednesday. And last year the secondary market bottomed out in the end because so few locals were going, it was all fly-ins. Oh well, hope for the best. Let’s start announcing the rest of May please!

• Like 1