DVDVR Message Board

AEW - Feb 2020

Elsalvajeloco

Think the Revival are being Ambrose on the way out where they are no selling it so WWE no sells it and have them on TV every week going over but not necessarily doing anything of consequence? 

I'd like to see Revival in AEW I think they'd be a great addition to the AEW tag scene. 

Edited by Web Conn

Re: Cornette

It's hard to believe Cornette is a Johnny Ace level "gotta be 6'3", 240 lbs and look like a human Ken doll" body guy when he spent the majority of his career with guys like Eaton & Condrey.

That said- you do need to be somewhat imposing. Bret & Owen would be physically imposing over the majority of the current AEW roster. As it is, I have a hard time buying any offense from guys like Darby Allin. It's like watching a pre-gas Dynamite Kid being booked to hang with Jumbo Tsuruta.

Jungle Boy has definitely been adding the bulk since AEW started. It was good to see him size up well against MJF this week. He doesn't look quite like a stick anymore. 

8 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

That said- you do need to be somewhat imposing. Bret & Owen would be physically imposing over the majority of the current AEW roster. As it is, I have a hard time buying any offense from guys like Darby Allin. It's like watching a pre-gas Dynamite Kid being booked to hang with Jumbo Tsuruta.

Here's the thing....if a majority of the roster doesn't look that imposing, would that not mean that everybody is virtually in the same weight class? I mean the inverse is true that if you have all giants, then you got no giants. You would buy an 180 pound guy beating up another 180 pound or even 190 pound guy. In addition, by that logic, if you cannot buy Darby's offense then it does mean they have imposing guys on the roster cause otherwise you would buy it going against someone of the same build. Your problem would just be with Darby Allin, which is fine.

And to be fair, roughly 70 to 75% of the UFC roster doesn't look physically imposing. Still doesn't mean that those dudes cannot beat you to sleep. Not everyone of those dudes looks like Yoel Romero or Paulo Costa. Those dudes are few and far between.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Goodear said:

I think part of the reason there seems to be very few kids in the audience is because no one is larger than life in the John Cena type role and there’s no dragons for that hero to slay.

The company is very intentionally not courting kids. Or we wouldn't hear "shit" in every promo. 

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I kind of feel bad for Private Party. You’d think they’d be apart of that battle royale brawl, but no sign of them. I wonder if they are being reprogrammed as performers at the training school they’ve setup.

If they're smart they'll retool that awful fucking gimmick, too. Definitely not something that sets the promotion apart from WWE.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

The company is very intentionally not courting kids. Or we wouldn't hear "shit" in every promo. 

I think they only get one "shit" per episode. Dustin dropped bitch on this last episode, and Pac had a bleeped F word as well in the video package. Otherwise, it's pretty tame.

It's not exactly ECW or WCW at the end is what I'm saying.

Edit: Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's only one because Excalibur dropped Cowboy shit in the opener and then immediately afterwards JR and Tony said Cowboy "stuff". And that one is kinda funny because Excalibur was clearly trying to goad them into saying shit instead. 

Then later on in the show, Jericho who is use to being the only one who can say shit is trying so hard not to drop that when he calls Moxley human trash. You can see the wheels spinning in his head as he does the promo.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1

Not saying it's excessively vulgar or anything, just that if the company was trying to present an image that encouraged kids to watch, they wouldn't be looking for an excuse to say "shit" once per episode.

Is it stupid that anyone is offended by that word? Sure. But that's the status quo.

I don't think it's a wise policy - I can't imagine that whoever is being drawn in by "gonna cuss on the mic tonight!" is worth the amount of younger fans it could potentially cost them. I can't be the only one whose parents were like "Yeah, you're watching Nitro on Monday nights or you aren't watching wrestling" during the height of the Attitude Era. 

I think TNT, and other cable stations, as well as the sponsors  still see prime time as “PG-13”. Blood, and crossing the A-class barrier of cuss words is still considered taboo for that time, at least in these sensitive times. Though USA is now letter Heyman have wrestlers bite each other’s necks off, so I’m assuming the leashes are starting to be let loose.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

1 hour ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Re: Cornette

It's hard to believe Cornette is a Johnny Ace level "gotta be 6'3", 240 lbs and look like a human Ken doll" body guy when he spent the majority of his career with guys like Eaton & Condrey.

Jungle Boy has definitely been adding the bulk since AEW started. It was good to see him size up well against MJF this week. He doesn't look quite like a stick anymore. 

Cornette also developed a lot of the muscle stars of WWE through OVW so I wonder if his thoughts about talent development are much different from taking on guys like Eaton and Condry as developed guys.

I have less of a problem with Darby as he tends to A) lay shit in like his suicide dive and coffin drop or B) get over how quick he is through his odd movements like all the rolls and duck behinds than say Marko or Riho who don't look like their stuff is making contact. Jungle Boy is going to fill out as he ages but he's also benefiting from standing next to Marko on the regular. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Bryan said:

There is a reason that Brock Lesnar is such a draw and it’s not because he once did a shooting star press.

It’s because of the combination of how he looks physically and what he does in the ring. That’s always going to be the case. People are fascinated by monsters and always will be.

AEW would be foolish not to be looking for athletic big guys.

look into a guy named "Bulk Nasty"  he is currently working in Pittsburgh and in NC.  Lots of people are high on him currently. He is doing a show in April with Arn, DDP, Jake the Snake, Billy Gunn and a few other legends.  Rumor is AEW is scouting him.  He comes from the same promotion as Wardlow and Brit. 

• Like 1

I got no problem with Marko whatsoever. Guy is being used exactly the way he needs to be used. As a fun tag guy that gets the crowd to pop in the undercard. And if Riho was a regular she would be the perfect performer to work with all the big women when they need a quick rival. She would basically be my Rey Mysterio. Sure the belt will get passed around, but when I need a champ for my big shows, she’ll always be the one holding it because I know win, or lose she’ll make the opponent look like they belong. Which is what you saw with Nyla.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Here's the thing....if a majority of the roster doesn't look that imposing, would that not mean that everybody is virtually in the same weight class? I mean the inverse is true that if you have all giants, then you got no giants. You would buy an 180 pound guy beating up another 180 pound or even 190 pound guy. In addition, by that logic, if you cannot buy Darby's offense then it does mean they have imposing guys on the roster cause otherwise you would buy it going against someone of the same build. Your problem would just be with Darby Allin, which is fine.

And to be fair, roughly 70 to 75% of the UFC roster doesn't look physically imposing. Still doesn't mean that those dudes cannot beat you to sleep. Not everyone of those dudes looks like Yoel Romero or Paulo Costa. Those dudes are few and far between.

I've been going to a dojo here that is led by Danillo Villeforte and when I look at some of the people coming in to train each night I am amazed. There is a guy who looks just like Jamison from the Prime Time Wrestling days and this guy has incredible mat skills.  Never judge a book by it's cover. These guys look like your typical office worker but could likely kill me in 1 minute if they chose to. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Goodear said:

Cornette also developed a lot of the muscle stars of WWE through OVW so I wonder if his thoughts about talent development are much different from taking on guys like Eaton and Condry as developed guys.

I have less of a problem with Darby as he tends to A) lay shit in like his suicide dive and coffin drop or B) get over how quick he is through his odd movements like all the rolls and duck behinds than say Marko or Riho who don't look like their stuff is making contact. Jungle Boy is going to fill out as he ages but he's also benefiting from standing next to Marko on the regular. 

Darby can sell with the best of them too. Watch his stuff from Evolve (flo slam era)  and you will be impressed at how quick he catches on. Remember he was homeless at or around this time also. He didn't have years of experience he just caught on very quickly.  He could have easily went the NXT route but didn't. I think he made the right choice. 

• Like 1

The consensus greatest heavyweight boxer of all time had an ideal fighting weight of around 210-215. Prime Tyson would be able to enter Best of the Super Juniors. The majority of MMA all-time great heavyweights could have (or did) cut to 205. Really big guy = superior athlete is a myth.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

look into a guy named "Bulk Nasty"  he is currently working in Pittsburgh and in NC.  Lots of people are high on him currently. He is doing a show in April with Arn, DDP, Jake the Snake, Billy Gunn and a few other legends.  Rumor is AEW is scouting him.  He comes from the same promotion as Wardlow and Brit. 

Is that one of the Gym Nasties?

I wasn't that impressed by them the one time I saw them.

3 minutes ago, alstein said:

no.  He works for IWC in Pittsburgh and for some promotions in NC.  Not really well known yet.  He had some great matches with Wardlow and Wardlow is really pushing for him to get into AEW.  Bulk is in a tag team now with a rookie skinny, smaller guy and the team name is "steak and eggs"  the gimmick is Bulk does all the big work and his partner comes in and will try to get the pin and celebrate huge.  He basically follows Bulk around and Bulk tolerates him. Bulk went from being one of he most hated heels to getting huge face pops.  There was a show in January where random workers would be picked for matches. One of the guys was Al Snow.  Bulk received a bigger pop than Al.  Within a year or 2 he will be a name everyone will know. 

35 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Oh my, he’s got something. “Bulk Nasty” indeed.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, alstein said:

The Gym Nasties are Timmy Lou Retton and White Mike. Out of Atlanta GA.

The only indie tag team I can think of who have the team name in their ring names are Bear Country. Bear Bronson and Bear Boulder. They're hosses.

17 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Speaking of, Kenny needs his win so he can win the women's championship! Why the fuck was he the focus backstage after Nyla's big win btw? That was funny. The other women standing around like useless idiots. 

I'm sure you know but just in case it's setting up an intergender tag match between Kenny/Riho and Pac/Nyla.  Last week Nyla came out after Pac cut the backstage promo to attack Riho, and this week's match had Nyla try the OWA which got reversed into the snap dragon suplex.  So that plus what you mentioned has been a pretty darn good build to when they do the eventual tag match.

But I do agree on the women just standing there considering Britt was one of them and she could have gotten in Nyla's face to set up a future match.  Or Statlander for that matter unless they don't want her near a title match yet for some dumb reason.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

39 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

The consensus greatest heavyweight boxer of all time had an ideal fighting weight of around 210-215. Prime Tyson would be able to enter Best of the Super Juniors. The majority of MMA all-time great heavyweights could have (or did) cut to 205. Really big guy = superior athlete is a myth.

I don't think anyone was making that argument. Size and look matters moreso here and not as much in your examples because pro wrestling isn't actually based on who is the superior athlete. It's based on who's the most marketable.

• Thanks 1