DVDVR Message Board

AEW - Feb 2020

Elsalvajeloco

I'll never understand what happened with EC3 in WWE. Decent size, amazing body, a proven commodity on the mic. Not a great worker, but decent enough that he won't stink out the joint. He's the exact kind of guy Vince absolutely loves to push, and he got nothing.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Rehabilitated Rick said:

EC3? They already signed a better version in Brian Cage. 

If you said to me 'AEW' and 'Better version of EC3' I'd assume you were talking about MJF, not Brian Cage. Then again, knowing him from TNA, I think of EC3 primarily as a guy doing an obnoxious rich guy gimmick. I can see that people who know him from WWE would think he was primarily a body guy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'll never understand what happened with EC3 in WWE. Decent size, amazing body, a proven commodity on the mic. Not a great worker, but decent enough that he won't stink out the joint. He's the exact kind of guy Vince absolutely loves to push, and he got nothing.

he wasn't a Vince creation.

Vince would rather make 100 bucks with what he can plausibly say is his idea than a thousand bucks with what everyone knows is someone else's.

still a couple weeks behind on AEW and haven't gotten back up to February yet.  So while I have thoughts on what I've been seeing a lot of them could be out of date.  Except that Sammy Guevara is a fantastic sleazy little shithead and making him the Lieutenant of the heel stable is just about my favorite AEW thing so far.

and they need to bring back Jamie Hayter even if they have to fire Jimmy Havoc to make her comfortable backstage.  Hell, especially  if they have to fire Jimmy Havoc.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

He came into NXT at a bad time when there were plenty of people who stood out above him, and the main roster already had Roode and Miz. 

From his first NXT runs, when it was still a gameshow format and then the early days of NXT as a promotion, you'd think Vince would have said "That's the guy". But I think he'd basically given up on the idea of NXT people getting pushes at that point. 

EC3's got a weird sense of humor that doesn't seem like the kind of thing Vince would like at all.

I find AEW generally alright-ish.  Dynamite's settled into not being anything all that much different than a standard WWE broadcast though.  One week opened with a 20-minute Moxley promo followed by an invisible camera vignette.  The character development is really lousy though.  Four months in and I don't know anything more about Riho and Nyla Rose and a litany of others than I did before AEW started.  Did you guys know Britt Baker is a dentist though?

The storytelling is real lacking too.  People talking up Cody getting whipped and I just don't get it.  Like why would he find himself in such a predicament?  MJF was the deciding factor in AEW's first PPV World Title defense.  You'd think AEW officials would want to put Cody and MJF together right away yet MJF somehow has the stroke to make demands of the guy whose ring entrance has it's own entrance.  Page wanted to get away from The Elite yet someone keeps putting him in tag matches with them.  Pac has to stalk Michael Nakazawa every week to get a rematch with Omega for some reason.  Also, one week it looked like Pac disappeared him and then he was back the next week as an interpreter with no mention of what happened.

And why 10 lashes and a cage match with an unknown?  It's not like Cody got MJF in a caged area and whipped him with his weight belt leading to MJF having to debut a bodyguard.  Wardlow needs to murder somebody Wednesday cause he didn't even stop someone from getting to MJF last week.

And remember when The Dork Odor (***) laid out all the top guys with an army of some fat guys they molested in the woods to end the show and then the next week the top guys just moved on like nothing happened.  I'm sold on the idea of Matt Hardy being the Exalted One though.  Mainly, just cause I want to see which AEW higher up gets sick of his wife's shit the fastest.  My money's on Brandi.

• Like 3

On 2/7/2020 at 2:27 PM, LoneWolf&Subs said:

My issue with Taz is that he just can’t help himself from cracking jokes on commentary.

The worst part is he actually cracks me up sometimes.

This should be timestamped for 14:53. I probably enjoy his description of what he's watching more than I enjoyed anything he ever did as a wrestler.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, BEN! said:

The storytelling is real lacking too.  People talking up Cody getting whipped and I just don't get it.  Like why would he find himself in such a predicament?  MJF was the deciding factor in AEW's first PPV World Title defense.  You'd think AEW officials would want to put Cody and MJF together right away yet MJF somehow has the stroke to make demands of the guy whose ring entrance has it's own entrance. 

And why 10 lashes and a cage match with an unknown?  It's not like Cody got MJF in a caged area and whipped him with his weight belt leading to MJF having to debut a bodyguard.  Wardlow needs to murder somebody Wednesday cause he didn't even stop someone from getting to MJF last week.

In kayfabe, Wrestlers in AEW have the power to turn down matches if they want. MJF turned on Cody, so Cody asked for a match with him, and MJF turned it down. So then Cody did the What's It Going To Take promo where he offered to give up his watch, his shoes, his car et cetera. Which MJF took as an opportunity to be a dick, on the impression that Cody would either turn it down or not be able to survive.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

The worst part is he actually cracks me up sometimes.

No doubt the man can be funny, but he’s too Dusty out there with his self deprecating humor. That’s fine when the stakes are low, and the atmosphere calls for it. Not on a major wrestling show. It’s why I couldn’t stand RAW when it was Cole, and whoever was his crew for the past decade just ribbing each other for 2 1/2 hours.

On 2/8/2020 at 9:33 AM, AxB said:

The EC3 gimmick is his TNA gimmick though. Dixie Carter's cousin. They bought the character to WWE thinking it was a great character that would get over better on the bigger stage, then did nothing with him. If AEW got him, I don't think they would make the same mistake.

His gimmick was actually Dixie's nephew.

9 hours ago, AxB said:

In kayfabe, Wrestlers in AEW have the power to turn down matches if they want. MJF turned on Cody, so Cody asked for a match with him, and MJF turned it down. So then Cody did the What's It Going To Take promo where he offered to give up his watch, his shoes, his car et cetera. Which MJF took as an opportunity to be a dick, on the impression that Cody would either turn it down or not be able to survive.

I thought it would be more interesting if Cody didn't want to force MJF into the match because he's perpetually afraid of being seen as abusing his power. He's terrified that the fans will put him in the same box as HHH and Vince, so he literally handicaps himself constantly.

This could also be the reason MJF turned on him in the first place. He thought it was pathetic that Cody would deny himself World Title opportunities just to secure the fans good will. That's why he's making him jump through all these hoops. Cody doesn't have to do any of this, but he will because he wants the fans to love him.

20 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

America’s long Nightmare Collective is over.

If this was like a horror film, she would find that stuff somewhere else laying around in pristine condition and not burned. It's total misdirection and we're going to find out she burned an old pair of sneakers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/8/2020 at 9:33 AM, AxB said:

The EC3 gimmick is his TNA gimmick though. Dixie Carter's cousin. They bought the character to WWE thinking it was a great character that would get over better on the bigger stage, then did nothing with him. If AEW got him, I don't think they would make the same mistake.

On 2/8/2020 at 9:41 AM, LoneWolf&Subs said:

What’s Dixie Carter up to these days? You’d think she’d want to re-team with her “cousin” again for an on camera roll? I would accept it.

But I’m with @ComingToAmerica. You can’t do much with the “EC3” character anymore. The WWE machine killed it, along with EC3’s 2nd wind of ambition he had in TNA up until he was sent to Main Event purgatory.

He could pull the John Hennigan "change my name to reflect the company I'm working for" thing and repackage himself as Ethan Khan III. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3