DVDVR Message Board

AEW - Feb 2020

Elsalvajeloco

11 hours ago, Web Conn said:

I got a question regarding the action figures, whose gonna be Series 1? Another question how many action figures are in a series?

I'm going with 10 it's a lot but it's the first series, I'd pick Jericho, Moxley, Cody, Kenny, MJF, Hangman, Riho, Britt Baker, Nyla Rose & Brandi.

Then the tag line i'd go with Young Bucks, Santana & Ortiz, Lucha Bros, Cody & Dustin, Dark Order, Private Party, Best Friends w/Orange Cassidy, Lucha Express w/Marko Stunt & SCU as a trio.

Might be 4 or 5. Omega, Jericho, Cody, Riho, Jon. Then the rest so on in waves.

Edited by D.Z

12 minutes ago, scatterheart said:

You must've missed the Statlander match. Two of the better workers on the roster apparently. Not to mention the match where they were tagging together. Awful.

Yet you say Riho is the only good worker on the roster. I disagree with you on the women's division then, because I haven't seen a Riho match that hasn't sucked.

54 minutes ago, Casey said:

Yet you say Riho is the only good worker on the roster. I disagree with you on the women's division then, because I haven't seen a Riho match that hasn't sucked.

I saw one of them live when going against Nyla on the premiere episode.  And if you're counting tags then the intergender match on last night's episode of Dark was really damn good.  But different tastes and all that.

As for Shida I feel bad with her being saddled with Mel last night.  That shit was awful and she could only get so much out of it.  For those saying Mel's better than this I would love to see examples of her pre-AEW stuff to see if that's the case.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Whatever floats your boat. Riho is the only woman in the company that has managed to get herself and her matches over. If she sucks then I don’t know what that says about everyone else.

Edited by scatterheart

34 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I saw one of them live when going against Nyla on the premiere episode.  And if you're counting tags then the intergender match on last night's episode of Dark was really damn good.  But different tastes and all that.

As for Shida I feel bad with her being saddled with Mel last night.  That shit was awful and she could only get so much out of it.  For those saying Mel's better than this I would love to see examples of her pre-AEW stuff to see if that's the case.

There's an I Quit match on YouTube against Nikki St. John that's pretty good (though I suggest watching it muted, because the commentary is pretty bad). There's numerous Cruise matches on YouTube, actually. I really do think Mel's problem is that she's just nervous being on live, national television. But like you said, different tastes. I'm not the only one that doesn't like Riho, but likes someone like Hikaru Shida. And Kris Statlander, while green, is definitely not as bad as someone is making her out to be. Shanna is pretty good, too. And since she's still listed on the AEW website, Bea Priestly is fantastic as well. I like Big Swole a lot too.

There are some duds, yeah - Sadie Gibbs has potential, but needs a lot more experience - but it's not near as dire as people want to make it out to be.

• Like 2

RIho's really the only one who has gotten any sort of booking protection but has been off television for some pretty long stretches. I prefer Shida personally although I think she has some bad habits like her chair assisted knee spot and the over use of knees in general.  She doesn't have Riho's issues of having offense that doesn't look like it could break a egg.

Honestly,  Penelope Ford has come off more physically impressive in the last few weeks that I would give her a shot as a focus of the division as everyone else outside of those three (and Shanna who's not been given a real opportunity yet) has kind of thrown up on themselves when given chances.

The women’s division has certainly struggled.  Seems long established this is the consensus. It’d be nice to see more discussion of how to fix it.  That doesn’t involve signing key players already firmly under contract to other promotions.  

Does anybody know what the story is with Kong?  Is she injured or just dilapidated?  

Looking forward to the return of  Yuka Sukazaki.  Really liked her earlier aew performances.  

Really dug that inter gender dark bout.  The handheld cam worked just fine.  Loved those intros.  Loved the match too other than Sabian slamming an elbow in Riho’s face that was barely sold.  Not hating on Riho tho.  The snap dragon suplex on Sabian was wonderful.  She’s been fabulous from the start. To the Riho hater suggesting she hasn’t had any good matches, did you miss the Ppv match with Emi Sakura?  Im not sure I’ve even seen Riho have a bad match?  Something very special about this talented young lady.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Haven't seen her AEW or indy work outside of Shimmer, but I always thought Cruise was generally average in Shimmer. She wasn't bad, but she was never setting the world on fire either. I saw someone mention that ever since she came back to wrestling she has kind of sucked. 

To quickly follow up on a couple of things

- The Kong departure is to film the 4th Season of GLOW (that is from all the usual wrestling sources)

- And like we talked about - Double or Nothing was officially announced for Vegas today

EDIT - in the announcement - Tony Khan reiterated that he was DoN in Vegas on Memorial Day weekend and All Out in Chicago over Labor Day weekend to become traditions

5 hours ago, AxB said:

I hadn't realised Kip Sabian was such an in-match shit talker before seeing the mixed tag match. He should up his volume so the ringside mics pick up on it. Guevara's shit talk usually makes it onto TV, but he has Jericho as a mentor, and was on LU.Makes sense he'd be a bit further along as a TV performer.

So was Dr Luther a retired ex-Wrestler, or a guy who never retired and was just keeping in shape in case he got another booking, ten+ years after his last match? Because he seemed to disappear after FMW closed, but he didn't seem to be a guy who knew what he was doing, as far as being a ringside manager guy. Repackage him as a creepy nosferatu fucker who just turns up whenever someone bleeds, or something. Or put him in a best of seventeen gimmick match series with Jimmy Havoc, where every matxh has a different stipulation.

Like Baron von Raschke managing the Powers of Pain

• Like 1

Even if you didn't like the Emi match, it's something nobody else in AEW has done. At the start of the match, the crowd clearly could not care less about the match. Neither of them got any reaction, nothing in the first several minutes got any reaction. But, by the end of it, there were loud "Riho" chants. And that's happened in a couple of her tv matches as well.

They have people who are over from the second the music plays, they have people who have gotten more over week to week, but Riho is the only person on the roster who has pulled dead crowds into matches on a regular basis. 

Also, dude, that match was awesome. ?

• Like 5

You can think Riho is awesome, I can think she's trash, but the beauty is that we'll find something on the same show that we agree on most likely. And, okay, I guess nobody else has done that - I can't be sure without watching every single thing AEW has aired since DoN 2019, but I'll take your word for it that an AEW crowd has never went into a match completely dead and come out of it 100% invested in the match. All I know for sure is that Riho does nothing for me, but I accept she must do something for some people out there.

On Riho: I was at the first Dynamite taping in DC. I have been to countless shows and I have NEVER seen a match that had very little interest going in that ended up absolutely tearing down the house the way that match did.

• Like 6

If this is the end of the Nightmare Collective then I'm all for it. I don't see anything in Mel except a woman who is pissed she shaved her head for this BS and Luther was hooped out of the gate when they called him a Japanese deathmatch legend. He could've been Brandi's personal ghoul, a mysterious man of mayhem, but now we know he's a wrestler working a gimmick. And not a wrestler we know so he must suck, which he then proved immediately by getting taken out by a woman a third of his size. With Kong out, I'd call it a day.

2 hours ago, Goodear said:

Honestly,  Penelope Ford has come off more physically impressive in the last few weeks that I would give her a shot as a focus of the division as everyone else outside of those three (and Shanna who's not been given a real opportunity yet) has kind of thrown up on themselves when given chances.

I thought Ford came off great in that mixed tag and could be big heel for them if they wanted, like a Sunny who can back it up in the ring. And Shanna showed a lot in those Nyla Rose matches, I think she could go places too. They have the makings of a good women's division, they just need to put the pieces together properly and it's taking longer than I think anyone thought.

40 minutes ago, sabremike said:

On Riho: I was at the first Dynamite taping in DC. I have been to countless shows and I have NEVER seen a match that had very little interest going in that ended up absolutely tearing down the house the way that match did.

The crowd reaction for that was way higher than what the match itself deserved from a technical standpoint but Riho is an adorable wrestler who is very good at fighting from underneath and while I don't think much of Nyla Rose, she is if nothing else an imposing figure in juxtaposition. 

• Like 1

DAMN YOU, COPYRIGHT LAWS! Get that shit sorted, DDT & AEW. I hope she's not one and done as a sacrifice to the alter of Dr. Britt even if the angle was pretty god damn graphic and awesome. I doubt the match would've ended as such if that were the case.

On 2/5/2020 at 4:37 PM, RIPPA said:

To quickly follow up on a couple of things

- The Kong departure is to film the 4th Season of GLOW (that is from all the usual wrestling sources)

- And like we talked about - Double or Nothing was officially announced for Vegas today

EDIT - in the announcement - Tony Khan reiterated that he was DoN in Vegas on Memorial Day weekend and All Out in Chicago over Labor Day weekend to become traditions

They really should switch the dates.

Running in Chicago on Memorial Day would allow them to do a crossover event with Combo Breaker, which is a huge fighting game tournament.   Would give opportunities for Kenny, and there is a large crossover between Fighting game fans and wrestling fans.

About the state of the women's division...I think Riho is good.  As has been mentioned here, she gets people into her matches really well.  I also like that she mostly wrestles like someone her size would.  The only drawback is that she's barely ever on the show.  I was thinking about how much we've seen Jericho, SCU, Omega, and Page; the other divisions' champions are well represented and are on almost every episode.  Making Riho the women's champion, in my opinion, really hurt the division right out of the gate.  There's no central figure for the other women in the division to consistently focus on week to week.  AEW also needs to cycle the women in and out better.  It great that they're not wearing out wrestlers' welcome by not featuring them every single week like WWE would, but god damn, Shanna has not been on Dynamite in like two months and it's been like 3 weeks since Statlander has been on, I think.

Speaking of that...I know they're allowed to essentially write their own promos, but a heel challenger rightfully calling out a face champion for rarely being on the show is counterproductive as well.  There's no storyline explanation for why Riho isn't around, so Baker calling her on it makes Baker the good guy because she's 100% justified being angry that she's working week in and week out while the champ isn't.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2

Making the Riho the champion in the 1st show made sense because there was nobody else even remotely close to her in terms of talent.  Nyla was too green (still is kind of), most of the other Stardom/DDT stars either hadn't joined yet or were there for one show, and the only other options would have just screamed nepotism/favoritism (Brandi & Britt Baker)

If they waited another 3 or 4 months the list of more qualified would have been better.  

I'm not as harsh on Nyla Rose as @Oyaji is, but it's going to take time for her because it does for like every heavyweight/superheavyweight type to learn how to be an effective base and to get the most out of their offense. It took Mark Henry like ten fucking years, but then once he got it he became awesome, so I have time and patience to let Nyla Rose develop. 

I'm sure there are superheavyweight types who just got it almost immediately (would Andre be one of those people, maybe? I don't know how long it took him to become good on the French catch scene, but I saw a longer match with him that I sent in for review here that he was pretty good in as a young man already). But in my experience, most of them take a lot of seasoning. 

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

Making the Riho the champion in the 1st show made sense because there was nobody else even remotely close to her in terms of talent.  Nyla was too green (still is kind of), most of the other Stardom/DDT stars either hadn't joined yet or were there for one show, and the only other options would have just screamed nepotism/favoritism (Brandi & Britt Baker)

I still think they should have given the belt to Shida. Riho won the belt at Dynamite #3, Shida was introducent to the audience before, moved to the US and has been a regular since Dynamite #5. Just wait two more weeks and have a inaugural Champion who's there every week.

• Like 3