DVDVR Message Board

AEW - Feb 2020

Elsalvajeloco

7 minutes ago, Casey said:

Jazwares is seemingly the action figure partner for AEW, and will be showing off the figures at the NY Toyfair 2020 towards the end of the month.

Looking at their site not only do the figures look mostly great but the brands featured are almost always well-stocked in damn near every store I've been to (Fortnite, Roblox, Nerf, etc)  As long as the figures look great then they made the right call.

1 minute ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

That’s cool... Where’s the video game you sons of bitches!

I know E3 isn't nearly what it used to be.  But I would think either by then or in one of the similar events in the spring/summer we'll find out about it.

E3 is nearly dead at this point. Once Microsoft pulls out that's probably it. I doubt anything gets announced there. PAX, while also on the decline, would be a better venue to announce a wrestling game.

That said, I don't think a wrestling game is being made any time soon. Kenny said he'd announce something by the end of the year and nothing was said. My guess is that they can't find anyone worth a shit to make it and there's no way TK is going to start a gaming studio to solely make a wrestling video game.

Just now, odessasteps said:

Insert obligatory “this is a sign Brodie is coming” comment. 

I mean... Yeah. I wonder if this was one of those “Hey, can you give my buddy some work”. Honestly if this was an audition, then I think Colin deserves a spot on the roster. Both Delaney, and Spears had great comedic chemistry. Also that would’ve made a great Dynamite match. They should try to redo that in a shorter match for live TV. Maybe with Orange Cassidy in for Chuck Taylor.

54 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Was Awesome Kong just written out of AEW on Dark?

Yep. And considering the fact that Brandi is convinced she needs to destroy them I think this group won't be a thing much longer. So I would like to think that they did see the responses and are doing something about it. Also considering the fact that Mel so far sucks and Luthor is kind of pointless ending this group is for the best. 

BUT give it a few months and I wouldn't be opposed to a heel women's group with talent that can go and a general theme worth investing in. I'm at least a bit hopeful in that working. 

Random thoughts/stream of consciousness writing as I watch DARK:

You guys, I don't know if I'm being overly judgemental like the people writing off the Dark Order as a trash tag team on first sight (and I get that they're not everybody's cup of tea), but Mel is not good from what she's shown in AEW. Unless she's got some Samson-esque quality, I don't understand the people saying she's good/solid. Half speed, weak strikes for the most part, sloppy execution on moves. She's got a decent persona/aura but that's about it.

I dig Shida's aggression and fire. Technically, she's not on the top level of Japanese women but she's still the best they've got.

Jungle Boy looked pretty good in the bit of that match that I caught even if that submission he applied at the end was weak shit in application. Really dug that stiffsky lariat. 

Disappointing they couldn't use the hardcam for the intergender match from the cruise. As is, we heard so much cringe shit from the audience. You don't have to be making noise at all times. Riho lookin' real crisp here. If she laid into all of her shit like she did here, that would be lovely. That Omega-style Dragon Suplex on Sabian from Riho was delightful. Nothing ridiculous in the physics of super tiny people wrestling with much stronger people. Penelope is a fantastic heel. She's still pretty green but she's got confidence in what she does and is always working to her character. Got some nice old school heel tactics mixed in with her athleticism and good character work. Foundations for greatness. That's awesome and Meltzer ain't wrong in predicting she'll be a breakout star. Kip by the way looked petrified of hurting Riho and was working baby shit soft. I get it. Really awkward moment where Riho and Kenny did a tandem move IN PENLOPE'S CORNER. Come on now. However, all of that was forgiven by how great of a double team move the crucifix -> V-Trigger -> Crucifix driver is. Heck yeah. A pretty good match but certainly nothing to build a whole style around. I'm okay if this is a one and done even if these two teams have some good chemistry together. 

Spears turning the OC thumbs up into flipping him the bird AND then doing the Primetime dance after chopping Trent is probably the most I've ever been entertained by him. Good stuff. Love the miscommunication between Spears and Delaney. I am actually enjoying this SEARCH FOR A TAG TEAM PARTNER bit Spears and Tully have going on. Great house show type of match with lots of comedy and audience participation. Exactly what Dillinger/Spears has always been best at. Delaney did look very good too! And bless this promotion for giving us Orange Cassidy and Tully Blanchard facing off and doing shenanigans. 

Best Dark in a while with two worthwhile matches, Jungle Express getting some shine, and hopefully the beginning of the end of the Nightmare Collective.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Last Sunday before Super Bowl I brought up to friends that AEW's got the Revolution PPV coming up.  Upon hearing that one of them excitedly asked about having a PPV party like we used to do for WWF/WWE shows back in the day.  And after making plans and seeing the interest from others I had this weirdly awesome feeling.  Before Dynamite started Cody said he didn't want to focus on bringing in the mainstream or lapsed fans and focus on what they have.  But the funny thing is in focusing on what they have it did work in bringing lapsed fans back into the fold.  They would watch everything up until the mid 2000s and everytime they'd check current WWE there'd be no investment from them due to either the booking or nobody worth getting into.  But while it is just a few people to see this excitement from them again shows that maybe what AEW doing is working after all.  That said It'll take time to bring in a lot more causual/lapsed viewers.  But it's amazing how word of mouth and showing cool shit can bring people back in.

I don't know how big things will get by the end of this year but I'm glad with how things have gone so far.

For real. I have a friend from work that knew I was a wrestling fan and unprompted started to talk about AEW. Back in the day he was a big Stone Cold fan and loved the Undertaker gimmick. He brought up Orange Cassidy and how cool Jericho is. He also brought up “Hangman Page handing a guy a beer to do his move and then drinking it afterwards.” It’s crazy to think that if they keep plugging away and hitting the right notes, maybe they can pick up enough traction to being known and liked on a larger level. 

• Like 3

If Kong's back is legit injured to the point she can't work anymore, that fall over the guard rail can't have done her any favours. Didn't look too planned either... unless it was, but she wanted to take a career ending bump that looked like it could actually end a career. Or something.

I reckon the planned finish to Shawn Spears' partner search was going to be Brian Cage. Same hair.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AxB said:

If Kong's back is legit injured to the point she can't work anymore, that fall over the guard rail can't have done her any favours. Didn't look too planned either... unless it was, but she wanted to take a career ending bump that looked like it could actually end a career. Or something.

I reckon the planned finish to Shawn Spears' partner search was going to be Brian Cage. Same hair.

I have a feeling it's going to be Brian Cage or Lance Archer.

I got a question regarding the action figures, whose gonna be Series 1? Another question how many action figures are in a series?

I'm going with 10 it's a lot but it's the first series, I'd pick Jericho, Moxley, Cody, Kenny, MJF, Hangman, Riho, Britt Baker, Nyla Rose & Brandi.

Then the tag line i'd go with Young Bucks, Santana & Ortiz, Lucha Bros, Cody & Dustin, Dark Order, Private Party, Best Friends w/Orange Cassidy, Lucha Express w/Marko Stunt & SCU as a trio.

7 hours ago, AxB said:

I also read a rumor that she’ll be filming the 4th season of GLOW. So this might not be a complete write off.

1 hour ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

To think that Mel is wrestling for 10 years...

That was the surprising thing I learned after that tag match. That she's been wrestling for that long and Britt Baker shows she's more competent at working a match doesn't speak well for you.

It's one thing to only have one expression.  It's quite another to have that one expression being pointing to your head and waggling your tongue around for no reason.  Luther should have been shot out of a cannon while they were on that boat. Melina Snuka was her bland self and was about as stiff a performance as you've ever seen. Stiff as in "I have to think about every step or I'll fall over' not in the Fit Finley way. The referee is not only dumb but blind and deaf as well as he had to look at nothing in order to miss outside interference that we could all hear.  Shida was fine but weighed down by all the lack of talent she had to carry with her.  They should have just gone with the Michinoku driver as the finish instead of having a stupid kick out. Post match was stupid as Kong doesn't get to be the victim if she's pushing the issue with Mel by slapping her in the back of the head. Doesn't matter in the long term as this thing better not exist in any capacity when Kong would be ready to come back.

I hadn't realised Kip Sabian was such an in-match shit talker before seeing the mixed tag match. He should up his volume so the ringside mics pick up on it. Guevara's shit talk usually makes it onto TV, but he has Jericho as a mentor, and was on LU.Makes sense he'd be a bit further along as a TV performer.

So was Dr Luther a retired ex-Wrestler, or a guy who never retired and was just keeping in shape in case he got another booking, ten+ years after his last match? Because he seemed to disappear after FMW closed, but he didn't seem to be a guy who knew what he was doing, as far as being a ringside manager guy. Repackage him as a creepy nosferatu fucker who just turns up whenever someone bleeds, or something. Or put him in a best of seventeen gimmick match series with Jimmy Havoc, where every matxh has a different stipulation.

You do wonder, when they were putting the Nightmare Collective stable together, who they thought was going to be the Worker of the group. Because Kong was great, but can't go any more, whilst Brandi never really got into her stride as an in-ring wrestler, and Mel seems to not have it either. Maybe that's why they were so keen to recruit Kris Statlander. They needed someone to actually do the wrestling for them.